Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How to win a bar fight?

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    After actually reading the article, it isn't all that bad considering the target audience. Yes he does over emphasis the effectiveness of pain "compliance". What is wrong with recommending eye gouges? Craig Douglass does. As long as we realize that isn't the total answer. His elbows high advice sounds very similar to CM which Cecil at least used to be involved in I believe. The groin thing, well ya. It is not really a serious fighting article I don't think but more of an attitude thing. People who have a lot of experience or training in this area of course are going to have a lot to add or take away, but most people haven't been in a fight since high school if even then. Even though we all think we are the toughest guy in the room. Perhaps those are the people he is addressing.
    I wouldn't say it was all bad either, but any time I read a 'maxim' like: 'do X to terminate the conflict', I think 'click bait', 'moron', or both. In this case it was a nice salad of the two.

Good luck Cody.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    What is wrong with recommending eye gouges? Craig Douglass does.
    The difference in context is massive. Craig would never advocate you try to eye gouge someone "as they are coming in to tackle" you. He also doesn't say that hitting the eyeball is "terribly easy." He actually emphasizes splaying the fingers to increase the chance of landing something near the eye, as he notes that the eyeball is an extremely small target (especially when moving). Finally, he tells students that it will buy them a fraction of a second: not that it will leave their opponent "hunched over in severe pain from a poked eye," as the author puts it.

The author's ridiculous promises of results are what trouble me the most: not the particular techniques themselves. If a man is so weak and fragile as to be "hunched over" by "a poked eye, broken hand, or paralyzing groin strike," I don't reckon he was much of a threat in the first place.

100% sober people can shrug off that kind of shit. Add alcohol? And adrenaline? And too much testosterone? We're talking about someone who will gladly beat anyone's face in with his broken hand.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I didn't read the linked article, and perhaps I'm a pussy, but I win bar fights by not getting into bar fights.
    I have never been in a bar fight while not in a bar. Except that one time I got my ass kicked over a Payday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    The KM I belong to also does BJJ. I will be joining the BJJ group once I get to my next level in KM. The guys who teach are the real deal, most active duty LE/Mil: http://kravmaganova.com/Instructors#.VkZwFHarTcv
    I think I am in the right place.
    I do think there are some KM clubs that don't have the same support by LE/Mil.
    Cody
    Food for thought... Cops and military guys haven't always bought the best martial arts training out there. Their BJJ program seems to be a happy accident and reads like they're a solid place for BJJ.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Food for thought... Cops and military guys haven't always bought the best martial arts training out there. Their BJJ program seems to be a happy accident and reads like they're a solid place for BJJ.
    These guys have real world experience which they have shared with us. Here is an interesting one: Emil said he has done a number of front kicks to the midsection and "100% of the time they have fallen on top of me," so he advocates a round kick to the ribs instead, which will send them down at an angle allowing you to avoid their fall. This dojo advocates KM as a striking system and BJJ as a ground system. They also introduce weapons defense and disarm early in the program.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

How are your round kicks?

Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    The difference in context is massive. Craig would never advocate you try to eye gouge someone "as they are coming in to tackle" you. He also doesn't say that hitting the eyeball is "terribly easy." He actually emphasizes splaying the fingers to increase the chance of landing something near the eye, as he notes that the eyeball is an extremely small target (especially when moving). Finally, he tells students that it will buy them a fraction of a second: not that it will leave their opponent "hunched over in severe pain from a poked eye," as the author puts it.

The author's ridiculous promises of results are what trouble me the most: not the particular techniques themselves. If a man is so weak and fragile as to be "hunched over" by "a poked eye, broken hand, or paralyzing groin strike," I don't reckon he was much of a threat in the first place.

100% sober people can shrug off that kind of shit. Add alcohol? And adrenaline? And too much testosterone? We're talking about someone who will gladly beat anyone's face in with his broken hand.
    I don't disagree with anything you said there. It just seemed like something more generic and turned out for the "low information voter" to borrow a phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    These guys have real world experience which they have shared with us. Here is an interesting one: Emil said he has done a number of front kicks to the midsection and "100% of the time they have fallen on top of me," so he advocates a round kick to the ribs instead, which will send them down at an angle allowing you to avoid their fall. This dojo advocates KM as a striking system and BJJ as a ground system. They also introduce weapons defense and disarm early in the program.
    Cody
    My snake oil meter is twitching.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I can tell you that I have personally landed a couple of different front kicks to the midsection in street fights, and I don't know how many in the ring as a kickboxer. I'd guess at least a dozen that landed with plenty of power.

No one has ever fallen on top of me as a result. I admit I have long legs but I'm actually struggling to picture this happening. People tend to get pushed back pretty hard from that kind of thing, and even if they double over...it's not something that's going to make or break the fight, that's for sure.

I did know a guy who'd throw incredibly fast snap kicks during street fights. You'd see him holding a guy in a headlock, and throwing these snap kicks at different levels on somebody else...the guy was just a machine. He was a highly-skilled martial artist, a great boxer, and a medal-winning competitor at the Pan-Am games one year. He'd probably break ribs with a lot of his kicks. I never saw anybody fall in a particular direction as the direct result of a kick, though, and that guy probably threw more, harder, kicks in actual street fights than anyone I've ever met.

So in general that seems like an unusual recommendation to me.

Bottom line: go get in a bunch of fights (in a ring or other semi-controlled environment where someone with superior skills is trying to beat you, but not maim you). That's the only way to get any good, so train in an environment in which that's possible. I honestly think you're wasting your time looking for tactics at this stage. I'd pretty much just spend some time grappling, which is what I should have done instead of kickboxing, and box enough that you can throw simple combos of jab-cross-hook-uppercut with some degree of speed and accuracy.

If you can do that, you'll crush the average drunk guy that mistook you for the dude who banged his girlfriend.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I stopped a machete with my eye once, and kept fighting. Good thing the dude did not use his fingernail, I would have been screwed.

I need to hang out a shingle. Y'all can pay me in BBQ and Scotch. Oh, and wheelguns. Trade ya.

User Tag List