Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: TruGlo TFX Pro sights

What if I want German tritium? I hear it's over-engineered more better.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Site Supporter
    I've had the TRUGLO TFX PROS on my Sig P320 Compact for well over a year, green - front and rear. The green front was not near as good in the daytime as it was at night, so...I added the Dave Spaulding front sight treatment - using neon orange duct tape. GTG in the daytime now - that did the trick for me and my aging eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    I've had the TRUGLO TFX PROS on my Sig P320 Compact for well over a year, green - front and rear. The green front was not near as good in the daytime as it was at night, so...I added the Dave Spaulding front sight treatment - using neon orange duct tape. GTG in the daytime now - that did the trick for me and my aging eyes.
    Picture?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    I'm not a fan of orange - that's why I use the TFX front with the white ring.

In bright sunlight fluorescent orange looks good but it gets non-distinct real quick in dimmer light.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    There's no tritium quite like Swiss tritium.
    Really, all Swiss hydrogen is outstanding across the board.

I sent the following communication to TruGlo:

Hello,

My name is Jay Cunningham; I am a firearms instructor and avid shooter.

I've been experimenting with your sights and just saw your new TRITIUM PRO offering.

I'd like to make a suggestion which I believe will sell you lots of units:

Pair your new TRITIUM PRO rear (except build it using YELLOW lamps) with a TFX front (tritium/fiber and WHITE focus ring).

Regards,

Jay Cunningham
    Protective Shooting Concepts
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 12-24-2016 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I use the TFX front with the white ring.
    How is that front sight working for you? Does it seem durable in the long run?

So, I'm still dithering about with regards to sights to my PX4. In the meantime I've been using the stock sights of course. Especially in the room I dry practice in, I don't really like them - the sight picture is basically black on black in half of the room. But when I zap the front sight with my flashlight, for the next ten minutes or so I really like those sights. That big shiny green dot really helps me see where my sights are at, at speed. But of course it requires charging the front sight with a flashlight, and the effect lasts for only about ten minutes, so it's not very practical... However, I was wondering if the sight picture with the Truglo front sight would be similar, except the shiny green thing would always be shiny?

(Of course Truglo only sells front sights so that doesn't solve the problem that the rear sight doesn't have tritium in it for low light.... Still though. The idea of a durable combination fiber optic / tritium front sight has really started to intrigue me.)
    Last edited by That Guy; 03-23-2017 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    How is that front sight working for you? Does it seem durable in the long run?
    Yes, it's been durable through harsh conditions.

Today I got a TruGlo FX front sight mounted onto the slide of my PX4, and did a little bit of dry fire with it. I must say, I was hoping for better low light performance.

When standing in the room I normally dry practice in just about underneath the lamp in the ceiling, the green dot on the sight is nice and bright. However, after moving to a darker area of the room, the fiber does very little to gather light - it's basically a black on black sight picture like the stock sight. And switching the lights off, the tritium is much dimmer than the few years old Trijicon HD's on my Walther. With the TFX, I can kind of see the green dot. With the HD's, absolutely no problem seeing nice and bright dots.

The white ring around the fiber does seem to stand out a bit better than the luminescent paint on the stock front sight, so there is that. And with enough surrounding light, the front sight does seem to work very well.

First range trip today. The sky was covered by heavy clouds and it was oppressively humid - I kept waiting for pouring rain to start but for some reason it never went above a light mist. Anyways, definitely a day when clear lenses are swapped for the eye pro.

The fiber optic never seemed particularly bright. I could tell it was there, but compared to how well the white ring on the sight was visible, it didn't seem to bring much to add to the sight picture. On the other hand, once back home I tested covering the fiber optic, and while it is a bit dim, there was a definite impact on how visible the front sight is during rapid sight acquisition. Kind of surprised how big of an effect it turned out to be - it sure doesn't seem like it before you try covering the port on the top of the sight. Kind of like a well adjusted subwoofer then - you don't really notice it's there until you try switching it off; and then you realize how big of a difference it makes.

Ammunition for today was Magtech 9mm subsonic, and ranges I shot from were 10 meters and the maximum for that particular pit, about 28 meters? (Forgot to measure it.) Point of impact seemed to be right on the top of the sight at ~28m and drive-the-dot at 10m, which worked very well for me. I shot 3x5" post-it notes from both distances for accuracy, as well as Mozambique Drills from 10 meters. At no point did the front sight particularly jump out at me (the way a Trijicon HD front sight does in bright daylight), on the other hand I never felt I needed to slow down or pause in order to see where the front sight is, either (which is something that can happen to me with a plain black front sight).

Seems like a definite improvement over the stock front sight. I do still hope it were a bit brighter in low light though.

User Tag List