Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: CO Springs Officers Will No Longer Take Fitness Tests After Discrimination Lawsuit

CO Springs Officers Will No Longer Take Fitness Tests After Discrimination Lawsuit

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/11/1...fitness-tests/

Last Friday the Colorado Springs Police Department agreed to the demands of 12 female officers who filed a civil suit claiming the fitness tests are discriminatory. All the officers were over the age of 40.
    #RESIST

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    ....Seriously?

I am pretty sure we have female military brass over the age of 40 who have no trouble meeting physical fitness standards...
    Last edited by Nephrology; 11-12-2015 at 07:51 PM.

PAT's are hard.

What's the saying? "You can't train hard enough for a job that can kill you."
    I'd have zero confidence in anyone with so little instinct for self preservation protecting me or mine.

I hope the federal judge reverses the decision. This is all too closely to going to the military, next. We've seen this sort of stupid incrementalism before, and it doesn't go well if unchecked.

What need for fitness in a job that could have you fighting for your life, or someone else's?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    If they ability to chase down your average suspect is a requirement, I'm out. So are a whole lot of experienced detectives, and really quite a few street officers. Running people down isn't my job any more. Not that I was likely to catch you on foot when I was in patrol. So, serious question, let's say I can't do your run tests? Am I fired? I haven't chased anyone in years, don't plan to do it any time soon, but I am a good detective, with a minimum of self-horn tooting, I'm well regarded by my chain of command, peers, prosecutor's office, and even defense attorneys. I've got experience running chaotic scenes that make national news, a proven track record of making decisions under stress, recognized interview/interrogation skills, etc. Is all of that negated because my knee is shit, I'm getting older, and I'll never run fast enough to catch most of the people who run from cops?

The idea that push-ups and sit-ups translates to the ability to fight suspects is also horse shit.

I understand the desire for ongoing physical fitness standards. My department does not have them, and yeah, we've got some fatasses. We've also got an older department, as in the average age of our officers is quite a bit higher than the national average. 7 or 8 years older IIRC. Part of it is we tend to hire older recruits, but also because people stick around longer. You start kicking experience out based on the ability to do a pushup, I don't think that's a net gain.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    If they ability to chase down your average suspect is a requirement, I'm out. So are a whole lot of experienced detectives, and really quite a few street officers. Running people down isn't my job any more. Not that I was likely to catch you on foot when I was in patrol. So, serious question, let's say I can't do your run tests? Am I fired? I haven't chased anyone in years, don't plan to do it any time soon, but I am a good detective, with a minimum of self-horn tooting, I'm well regarded by my chain of command, peers, prosecutor's office, and even defense attorneys. I've got experience running chaotic scenes that make national news, a proven track record of making decisions under stress, recognized interview/interrogation skills, etc. Is all of that negated because my knee is shit, I'm getting older, and I'll never run fast enough to catch most of the people who run from cops?

The idea that push-ups and sit-ups translates to the ability to fight suspects is also horse shit.

I understand the desire for ongoing physical fitness standards. My department does not have them, and yeah, we've got some fatasses. We've also got an older department, as in the average age of our officers is quite a bit higher than the national average. 7 or 8 years older IIRC. Part of it is we tend to hire older recruits, but also because people stick around longer. You start kicking experience out based on the ability to do a pushup, I don't think that's a net gain.
    That is a really interesting point.

Locally, our PD has 2000 members, some of whom do nothing but technical work on computer crimes. Similar arguments to be made, I suppose. Should they only use IT experts who are good at situps? Does that get them the best investigative team?
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

On the other hand, do you think these dames will insist on getting interesting jobs that might call for them to chase or duke it out with a suspect?

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

The chicks in the article were patrol officers and had been put on desk duty, not fired.

User Tag List