Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just for fun... or maybe not.

Just for fun... or maybe not.

Recently I've taken to modifying guns as a hobby; since I have a knife making shop it's not too great a stretch. My most recent project came about because of my fondness for old guns and snubbies. My wife bought me a couple of S&W .38 hammerless safety revolvers as a present- largely because I had a project in mind. One of the two guns was a pretty nice blued gun with excellent mechanicals and a near-pristine bore. This one she bought specifically for me to 'molest.' The other is a nickel gun with pearl handles that she will throttle me if I mess with.

The first thing was to make an ergonomic Cocobolo grip; I can't grip the factory handles properly owing to a large middle finger. I kept the very nice factory grips, of course. Next I removed the front sight, cut the barrel to 1-5/8 inches and re-crowned it. I remounted the factory front sight, though it is staked rather than pinned. I touched up the bluing a bit with Birchwood Casey Super blue and it was done. You can see the results below.
    Name:  SPS38a.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  95.4 KB

At the range the gun shoots low naturally, but using a modified sight picture I had no difficulty putting shots where I wanted them at 7 yards. The gun is a pleasure to shoot; recoil is negligible and the trigger, while heavy, is silky-smooth and breaks cleanly with almost no over-travel. By the end of the evening I was able to shoot a 3-1/2 inch rapid-fire group at seven yards.

I modified the gun just for my own amusement, but more and more I find myself dropping it in my pocket when I go out to my workshop or around the property. It's lighter and smaller than even a J-frame, and I just love it. I suppose I'll load up some hard-cast SWCs for it. As a replacement for a pocket .22 or .25 I think it's a nice choice. I did make an IWB holster for it, but pocket carry works out for now. Yes, it does work with HKS J-Frame speedloaders.
    Last edited by Tinker Pearce; 11-12-2015 at 06:38 PM.

It is oddly kind of neat.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Nice work there!

-Rainman

That's just cool!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    It is oddly kind of neat.
    Yes; I would have said "intriguing".

But, Tinker… a PHILLIPS head grip screw???

Interesting,. I have an old .32 S&W top-break revolver that belonged to my great grandfather, and have always been partial to the beasts.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Yes; I would have said "intriguing".

But, Tinker… a PHILLIPS head grip screw???

It's temporary! Really!

It strikes me, is the .38 S&W a true .357 bore diameter? Therefore, I wonder what you could safely push a 148gr .38 HBWC up to in a .38 S&W? This could be a very practical carry piece if...

.38 S&W is .361" nominal. A hollow base wadcutter would indeed "swell" at the base to give a better grip on the rifling, with two problems:

First, accuracy would be marginal because of inconsistent engagement of the rifling... assuming the rifling was in good shape. IOW, okay for arm's reach distance; anything farther... roll the dice.

Second, it would undoubtedly lead like a bastard; which would bring further deterioration of accuracy.

Third, you're talking a rather low-pressure cartridge originally designed for black powder. Modern cartridge cases might handle some extra pressure... but will the gun handle it?

If you're feeling adventurous, give it a shot and make sure to have a friend video it... from a distance.

User Tag List