Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Manipulating 870 safety

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Finger indexed correctly off the trigger and off the safety. As the weapon is being moved to cover the target the trigger fingers middle knuckle area disengages the safety and then the trigger finger curls as normal and goes to the trigger as needed. Not that complex if the safety is on the correct side.
    dont know hwo I didn't think of that. Everyone was saying it and I just did some stuff this morning with it and had the light bulb moment. sorry for the brain fart..

In "righty" mode: With right finger-tip indexed on upper front portion of trigger guard, my index finger is contacting the tip of the Vang safety, near the base of the finger. I press the safety to "off" as/when necessary. I do not index my finger on the receiver, as that is a clumsy angle, at least with the Magpul stock I now use*.

In lefty mode, on the qual line, my left index finger is indexed on the trigger guard, against the slide release. I reach around with my left middle finger to off-safe. This is a bit clumsy, but it satisfies range rules, and I am a lefty with long guns, being left-eye dominant, plus having a bad right shoulder. (I do things a bit differently on the street, but it might make an instructor or R.O. unhappy, so will not mention it further here.)

To digress a moment, I am not totally sold on the Magpul stock. It is very comfortable while shooting on the range, firing old-school-shouldered or new-school-pec-position, but in a recent tense armed-road-rage situation on the street, I. COULD. NOT. GET. THE. BLEEPING. BEAD. DOWN. ONTO. THE. RECEIVER! I almost dropped the shotgun to transition to the duty pistol. Fortunately, the bad guy was on foot, by the complainant's car door, and he had left his pistol on his floorboard, several yards away. I plan to go to the training range, and ask for some individual coaching from one of my former rookies, who is not an FTU instructor. (He is the one who prescribed the Magpul stock for me, anyway, to help with another issue.) Meanwhile, the shotgun stays home, or goes to work, but remains in the Tahoe unless needed for breaching.

Site Supporter
    As a righty, I curl my right middle finger around the trigger guard to push the 870 safety on with the middle fingertip. But I use the middle part of the right trigger finger to push the safety off.

Hmmmm . . . I have various 870s. Mostly sporting guns and a couple of tactical ones. I've hunted with them for many years, since I was a youngster. Always kept the standard safety button. I guess its a matter of familiarity. Its pretty much second nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Finger indexed correctly off the trigger and off the safety. As the weapon is being moved to cover the target the trigger fingers middle knuckle area disengages the safety and then the trigger finger curls as normal and goes to the trigger as needed. Not that complex if the safety is on the correct side.
    This method worked for me using a Choate (circa 1980) pistol grip full stock and extended safety. The straight finger would push the safety in and then finger would go on trigger.
    It seemed to work better for me with a pistol grip full stock than a normal sporting stock. This may be hand and safety size dependent.

Regarding "This is my safety, sir," well, on the street, in lefty mode, that is more-or-less how I do things, though when I start to move with the weapon, I will usually reach to the slide release, with my left index finger, then open the action a bit; it can be closed when I acquire a target. This may not satisfy many, or any, instructors' or range rules' protocols, but works well enough. I have not had the safety button reversed, because I will also use the weapon in righty mode, if the situation dictates; this can be almost half the time, if/when shooting around cover or concealment. (I am left-eye-dominant, so left shoulder is the default, but thankfully, a bead sight, for my eyes, anyway, is reasonably "ambi-eyed.")

Disclaimer: I do not recommend my lefty "safety" method to anyone, and I am sure that some instructor can find a reason to verbally slam it as being unsafe. I certainly do not recommend that anyone move with a partially-open action, shell on bolt, on a range, where "range rules" apply; just unload the chamber, and be done with it.
    Last edited by Rex G; 11-16-2015 at 08:59 AM.

Site Supporter
    Thank you for this thread. I was at the range this past weekend working on defensive shotgun and this exact thread was what I needed to address my questions. I'll work on the techniques mentioned here.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Louis Awerbuck taught us to ride the safety, ie keep your index finger on the safety until you disengage it. I switched my Van Comp big dome to the Wilson; it's more conducive as it's flat and larger.
    I run the safety on 870s. Benelli M1S90s, etc. like Louis and Scott Reitz taught me. Right handed: Ride the safety, flick it off with trigger finger tip when coming up on target, then rest safety with right thumb underneath the trigger guard when coming off target, making a "flag" with your fingers and right palm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    In lefty mode, on the qual line, my left index finger is indexed on the trigger guard, against the slide release. I reach around with my left middle finger to off-safe. This is a bit clumsy
    I put a Fortmann's left handed safety button in my 870. Makes it very easy and quick to manipulate the safety during presentation of the gun. Of course as you noted, when switching shoulders you still have the issue of a cross bolt safety button that is now the "wrong way around"... Practice helps, but one does have to either pop the safety off as a separate step before mounting the gun, or if already shouldered break the firing grip and reach around the gun to manipulate the safety. Just the way it is with cross bolt safeties, I guess. Still, personally I prefer the gun this way since I am a lefty, so shooting from the left side is my default.

Sorry to go off topic, but I'd be curious to hear more about your issue with the Magpul stock. I need to do something to the way too long length of pull my 870 has. The Magpul stock has been an option to me, to avoid cutting on the pretty piece of wood the gun came with.

User Tag List