Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manipulating 870 safety

Manipulating 870 safety

I really don't like how the 870 safety is set up. I put a big dome (vang comp I think) safety on it and am still having issues. It is almost impossible for me to run the gun at low ready so I have been using high ready and using my thumb to take the safety off while bring the gun to my should and then getting my grip and manipulating the trigger... any suggestions?

I run a Vang Comp big dome safety as well, on all my 870's. I just use the inside joint of my right hand trigger finger (the opposite of yer knuckle) to move the weapon from "safe" to "fire". I put it back on safe with my right thumb.

I shot shotguns right handed, with a right-handed 870.

I hope that helps. It's a lot easier to demonstrate than describe.

Site Supporter
    Ditto what serious student said.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I run a Vang Comp big dome safety as well, on all my 870's. I just use the inside joint of my right hand trigger finger (the opposite of yer knuckle) to move the weapon from "safe" to "fire". I put it back on safe with my right thumb.

I shot shotguns right handed, with a right-handed 870.

I hope that helps. It's a lot easier to demonstrate than describe.
    I also do it this way. However, after trying several Vang big dome safeties, I have gone back to the stock safety, as I can feel the stock safety is flush with the frame, and in the fire position. With the large Vang safety, I can't be sure if what position it is by touch.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

If it's the one I sent you it's a Vang. I prefer the stock safety.

It's probably isn't the safest practice, but I started off and still run the 870 with the tip of my right index finger on the safety. That pretty much violates the keep your finger straight and off the trigger rule.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    If it's the one I sent you it's a Vang. I prefer the stock safety.

It's probably isn't the safest practice, but I started off and still run the 870 with the tip of my right index finger on the safety. That pretty much violates the keep your finger straight and off the trigger rule.
    ya thank you again for all of that stuff, it all works great for me!

Louis Awerbuck taught us to ride the safety, ie keep your index finger on the safety until you disengage it. I switched my Van Comp big dome to the Wilson; it's more conducive as it's flat and larger.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I also do it this way. However, after trying several Vang big dome safeties, I have gone back to the stock safety, as I can feel the stock safety is flush with the frame, and in the fire position. With the large Vang safety, I can't be sure if what position it is by touch.
    I wonder if that is due to climate? I don't have to wear gloves as often as you do, your weather is considerably more chilly. About the only time I wear gloves shotgunning is in a multi-day shotgun class.

I keep my finger on the steel of the receiver, regardless of shooting a pistol, shotgun, carbine, blunderbuss, M-79, flamethrower, etc. I'm not talking smack to anybody, especially not Mr. Awerbuck (rest his soul). I truly regret never having the chance to take a shotgun class from him.

I have a fairly simple brain, so it likes simplified handling procedures. I try and do things consistently, regardless of what shootin' iron I'm using at the moment.

Hope that helps.

I'm a big believer in running a safety to one's benefit and not to one's detriment.

I'll insist that a student safe an AR-15 in situations where I would let it slide with an 870.

Finger indexed correctly off the trigger and off the safety. As the weapon is being moved to cover the target the trigger fingers middle knuckle area disengages the safety and then the trigger finger curls as normal and goes to the trigger as needed. Not that complex if the safety is on the correct side.

User Tag List