Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Traveling with Firearms: Different TSA Procedures/Experiences

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Thanks; I fly on Delta a fair bit, so the tickets are going to be a combination of miles rewards and a companion ticket. Unfortunately Delta doesn't go direct TPA --> DFW otherwise for sure I'd do non-stop.
    Ok getting ready to layout my gear for the trip, and I have a couple questions.

1) I have a TravelPro fabric spinner bag which is my normal go to for business trips. Do I need to worry about gun shot residue traces showing up on subsequent trips if I use this bag for firearms transport? (I.e. do y’all suggest having a ‘firearms only dedicated suitcase’?)

2) Is a hard sided case a better bet for checking a firearm or does it not matter?

Thanks.

...Do I need to worry about gun shot residue traces showing up on subsequent trips if I use this bag for firearms transport?
    No.

...Is a hard sided case a better bet for checking a firearm or does it not matter?
    A firearm must be contained within a securely-locked hard case. Now, you do have some choices. Your unloaded firearm can be stored in a small securely-locked hard case that is then packed within a larger soft case, or your unloaded firearm can be stored in a soft case that is then packed within a larger securely-locked hard case. Either way, a firearm must be contained within a securely-locked hard case.
    Last edited by Wendell; 02-16-2020 at 09:31 PM.

Is a hard sided case a better bet for checking a firearm or does it not matter?

Thanks.
    As indicated above, firearm has to be placed in a locked, hard case. With a lock that only you can open (no TSA locks).

I always found it better to put the pistol in a small hard case, and put that in a larger soft wheeled bag to be checked. I ran a cable around the internal part of the metal frame that supported the wheel assembly, and locked that to the hard case. Something like one of the Pelican cases, or the small metal cases. Don't remember the number, but I have a small Pelican case that's the perfect size for holding a couple of those zippered iPad cases. They're a great size for most common handguns. And then I packed plenty of soft stuff around the hard case, so its outline or edge didn't show on the outside of the soft luggage. As has been suggested before, carry a copy of both TSA's and the airline's rules on packing/checking a gun. And don't be hesitant to, politely, show either their own regulations if they ask you to do something seemingly out of line. I've had a ticket counter agent ask me to open both the checked luggage and the gun box. I did, that one time. The agent proceeded to take out the gun, wave it around, muzzling about a dozen people, and then asked me "how do I see that it's unloaded". At that point, a co-worker intervened and let me repack the gun.

You might be asked to take the luggage to TSA, or the airline might walk you over to TSA. Or you might just get told to listen for a page, in case TSA wants you to come and open the hard case. Mostly, though, it's become fairly routine. Or I've been very lucky!

I have flown between Portland and Tucson several times with a rifle and handgun. Portland is usually smooth sailing. They wipe down the outside of the case, do whatever they do to test it and Im on my way withing 5 minutes. Last fall I flew out and missed my flight to Vegas because they took so long. That time I had a single Glock 42. I think they were training a new guy because he spent 15-20 minutes on each case. He even wipe down my Glock and tested that. It doesn't do any good to show up early if you have a 6 AM flight because the TSA counter doesn't open until 5 AM. Flying back from Tucson is usually a little more involved. I usually have to wait around for 15 minutes in case they want the key to the locks on my case. Sometimes they do but I have always made my flight.

I always avoid any flights with stop overs in California because I am worried what will happen if my flight gets cancelled and I get stuck in California with an AR and a Glock.

Site Supporter
    Here's my recent experience flying with Delta Airlines from Pensacola to Atlanta and back with a checked firearm. I have flown numerous times with a checked firearm (mostly with Delta). The lady at the ticket counter filled out the form and I signed it and placed it in the case. She asked if the locks were TSA and I responded no, they can't be. She responded "you have done this before". I locked the case and she placed the CAGPT sticker on the handle and my case disappeared on the conveyor belt. She asked us to stay nearby in case she needed to wave us back over if TSA had an issue. (I've had this done at other airports as well). After 10 minutes we went to TSA and went through screening without issue.

Name:  Case.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  49.3 KB

We arrived in Atlanta and went to the Baggage Service Office and were directed across the area to the Oversize Baggage Area. I thought that was odd given the size of my Pelican Case.... The lady found my bag and verified my ID. It had the black zip tie around it which Delta does after the incident in Jacksonville Airport. While I'm not crazy about the steal me tag, I have found that using my Pelican Case by itself rather than masking it by placing the locked case into another locked suitcase does cut down on issues with TSA alarming on the bag as it's easier to identify the contents. They would still have the CAGPT sticker on the outside of the larger suitcase, and I've had TSA locks cut off the outside bag by TSA to look at the locked inside firearm container at other airports.

We went to the Atlanta Aquarium directly from the Airport which does not allow firearms even with LEOSA or any other credentials. You have to empty your pockets and hold the contents in your hands and walk through metal detectors. My wife's bag was searched my hand. My keys were still in my pocket and I was not checked. By the way the Aquarium is nice but I think the Monterey CA one is better.

So after the Aquarium I got my 642 and other gear from the case which was secured in our room.

Name:  J Frame.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  77.5 KB

We walked across Centennial Park to a Starbucks. Once outside my wife says do you want to sit here for a bit? I responded " You know what happened the last time we sat outside like this" (San Francisco) need I say more.... We sit down and not 1 minute later a homeless guy/EDP walks up so he's behind my wife and asks me if I want to buy him a coffee? I responded no, he started to mumble something and I repeated that I wasn't buying him a coffee and to move along, he then said my wife was a venus (which I already know) he moved to the corner and started the same routine with others. I watched him, he watched me until we left a couple minutes later. So we walk around the corner towards our hotel and 3 homeless approach us and ask for spare change. I responded we can't help you as we continued without pausing. Encounters with 4 homeless/EDP's in less than 10 minutes. The rest of the trip went smoothly.

The Atlanta Zoo allows legal carry and I had no issues.

So returning with Delta we went to the counter and I told the agent I was declaring an unloaded firearm in my bag he gave me the tag to fill out. Once completed I put the tag inside, he saw my 642 and asked what it was. I told him and he asked me why I didn't have a Glock and said he had a Glock 19. I told him it was my travel gun and was easier to travel with when people don't know about firearms and whether they are loaded or not. He put the CAGPT tag on and directed me across the lobby to a open doorway. Inside were 2 TSA personnel. The lady had me place my case on the belt and it went through x ray. She told me I was all set. I have to say that was the best system I have encountered with any airport or airline while traveling with a firearm.

Be Safe.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

I recently travelled with a firearm via Airline for the very first time. In addition, this was one of the first post-COVID flights I made. I was thinking with the increase in gun owners, I would update this thread with my experience.

Pre-Flight: Expectations

Being an over-thinker, I drew up a plan pre-flight was as follows:

Inside a locked (non-TSA lock) Case:

- Gun, unloaded
    - Orange Paracord through barrel
    - (Chamber flag in Semi-Auto)
    - Box(s) Ammo
    - Magazine(s)

Attached name and address card, and clear plastic self-adhesive envelope for TSA Declaration

Put above inside a TSA-locked, softsided rollaboard checked luggage along with:

- Maglula
    - Holster(s)
    - Mag pouch(s)
    - Zip ties
    - Extra TSA Lock
    - Diagonal Cutting Pliers + Pocket knife + Trauma Shears in outer compartment of bag

In carry-on luggage:
    - Printed Copy of Delta.com firearms policy with time stamps
    - Printed Copy of TSA Firearm handling regulations with time stamps

Pre-Flight: Plans

I made plans to fly from Tampa FL to Salt Lake City, direct, in support of a vacation trip. I decided to take my Sig P365XL, two magazines, and 50 rounds of Federal HST. I printed the TSA and Delta policies on traveling with a firearm. I printed my name address and cell number and placed it with wrapping tape on my gun case. I put a chamber flag in my semi-auto.

Besides the pistol, I added a Maglula and a couple holsters to my luggage. I put a small pair of dykes in an outer zip lock. I opted to use my Bulldog steel transit case for the pistol and ammo, the security loop of which I put around the internal frame of my Travelpro roll-aboard I was going to check with Delta.

Flight: Plans

I stopped in to the Airport the day before the flight and discussed my plan with a gate agent for my airline (Delta.) The only modification she asked me to make was to remove the ammo from the transit case and pack the box of 147 HST within the luggage (i.e. put the box of ammo amongst my clothing, not in the locked gun case.)

Flight: Reality

The next day, I checked in online and brought my luggage to the Delta Agent. I informed him I had an unloaded firearm. He asked me to sign and date a red Delta firearm tag. I opened the case on the Delta weigh-scale and dropped the tag on top of my Bulldog case, then locked the case with a TSA-lock. We walked over to the TSA area and I waited behind the barrier while the TSA agent inspected the bag beyond my eyesight. After about 2 minutes, I got the "ok" from the Delta agent and I then boarded my flight.

At SLC, my bag arrived at the Delta Baggage services counter at the same time my other "normal" bag. I showed my ID to the Delta agent and collected my "special" bag. It had had two very large stout ty-wraps placed all the way around the circumference of the bag.

At the hotel, I cut off the wraps with my dykes which I retrieved from the outside pocket of the bag and carried on.

On the Return Flight from SLC, there was a lot more to it.

After checking me in and having me sign the red Firearm card, the Delta rep walked me and my unlocked bag down the concourse to TSA. I gave the TSA agent the key for my Bulldog case to unlock, returned outside the barrier and waited. She opened it and looked at my P365XL. She then examined my 50 round box of HST (she shook it?) and put it back. In addition to that, she rifled through all my clothes and the eBag with my underwear (which was clean, thank God) and socks. She opened and peered in to every one of my outer zip compartments. Not quite sure what all that was about. Anyway, she then relocked my bag with it’s TSA lock, said I was all set and I then walked up to board my flight. (One other thing, I was unable to check-in "online" using the Delta App; it generated an 'oops' error. This was wierd, so I called Delta, and they asked me if I was flying with a weapon? I said, ah, yep that's it. Interesting my return flight must have been "noted" somehow to flag that up.)

Anyway, after the flight I received my bag after a short 2 minute wait from the Delta Agent at TPA, showing ID, and went home.

Post-Flight: Changes to Plans

In future, I would use a larger set of dykes in the outer compartment. Like, 5" maybe. My little dykes were almost unable to cut the tywrap they used.

Also, I would probably make room for my snubbie. It would be so much quicker/simpler to bring a revolver to load/unload, and lessen the time I go unarmed once I got off federal property.

Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by RJ; 07-23-2020 at 10:42 AM.

I recently travelled with a firearm via Airline for the very first time. In addition, this was one of the first post-COVID flights I made. I was thinking with the increase in gun owners, I would update this thread with my experience.

Pre-Flight: Expectations

Being an over-thinker, I drew up a plan pre-flight was as follows:

Inside a locked (non-TSA lock) Case:

- Gun, unloaded
    - Orange Paracord through barrel
    - (Chamber flag in Semi-Auto)
    - Box(s) Ammo
    - Magazine(s)

Attached name and address card, and clear plastic self-adhesive envelope for TSA Declaration

Put above inside a TSA-locked, softsided rollaboard checked luggage along with:

- Maglula
    - Holster(s)
    - Mag pouch(s)
    - Zip ties
    - Extra TSA Lock
    - Diagonal Cutting Pliers + Pocket knife + Trauma Shears in outer compartment of bag

In carry-on luggage:
    - Printed Copy of Delta.com firearms policy with time stamps
    - Printed Copy of TSA Firearm handling regulations with time stamps

Pre-Flight: Plans

I made plans to fly from Tampa FL to Salt Lake City, direct, in support of a vacation trip. I decided to take my Sig P365XL, two magazines, and 50 rounds of Federal HST. I printed the TSA and Delta policies on traveling with a firearm. I printed my name address and cell number and placed it with wrapping tape on my gun case. I put a chamber flag in my semi-auto.

Besides the pistol, I added a Maglula and a couple holsters to my luggage. I put a small pair of dykes in an outer zip lock. I opted to use my Bulldog steel transit case for the pistol and ammo, the security loop of which I put around the internal frame of my Travelpro roll-aboard I was going to check with Delta.

Flight: Plans

I stopped in to the Airport the day before the flight and discussed my plan with a gate agent for my airline (Delta.) The only modification she asked me to make was to remove the ammo from the transit case and pack the box of 147 HST within the luggage (i.e. put the box of ammo amongst my clothing, not in the locked gun case.)

Flight: Reality

The next day, I checked in online and brought my luggage to the Delta Agent. I informed him I had an unloaded firearm. He asked me to sign and date a red Delta firearm tag. I opened the case on the Delta weigh-scale and dropped the tag on top of my Bulldog case, then locked the case with a TSA-lock. We walked over to the TSA area and I waited behind the barrier while the TSA agent inspected the bag beyond my eyesight. After about 2 minutes, I got the "ok" from the Delta agent and I then boarded my flight.

At SLC, my bag arrived at the Delta Baggage services counter at the same time my other "normal" bag. I showed my ID to the Delta agent and collected my "special" bag. It had had two very large stout ty-wraps placed all the way around the circumference of the bag.

At the hotel, I cut off the wraps with my dykes which I retrieved from the outside pocket of the bag and carried on.

On the Return Flight from SLC, there was a lot more to it.

After checking me in and having me sign the red Firearm card, the Delta rep walked me and my unlocked bag down the concourse to TSA. I gave the TSA agent the key for my Bulldog case to unlock, returned outside the barrier and waited. She opened it and looked at my P365XL. She then examined my 50 round box of HST (she shook it?) and put it back. In addition to that, she rifled through all my clothes and the eBag with my underwear (which was clean, thank God) and socks. She opened and peered in to every one of my outer zip compartments. Not quite sure what all that was about. Anyway, she then relocked my bag with it’s TSA lock, said I was all set and I then walked up to board my flight. (One other thing, I was unable to check-in "online" using the Delta App; it generated an 'oops' error. This was wierd, so I called Delta, and they asked me if I was flying with a weapon? I said, ah, yep that's it. Interesting my return flight must have been "noted" somehow to flag that up.)

Anyway, after the flight I received my bag after a short 2 minute wait from the Delta Agent at TPA, showing ID, and went home.

Post-Flight: Changes to Plans

In future, I would use a larger set of dykes in the outer compartment. Like, 5" maybe. My little dykes were almost unable to cut the tywrap they used.

Also, I would probably make room for my snubbie. It would be so much quicker/simpler to bring a revolver to load/unload, and lessen the time I go unarmed once I got off federal property.

Hope this helps someone.
    Quoted the entire post to mention one small thing....

The Delta zip ties are enormous. Thus any reasonably pointy item such as a pen, paper clip or small zipper pull can be used to release them quickly and easily. I have a friend who hands them back to the baggage person. I usually wait until I’m outside.

Thanks for all the good info, but now I have questions and I didn't want to start a new thread, b/c I thought this might be a good place to put these questions: What cases do you recommend? How do you travel with ammo on a plane or do you ship it and how? Do you only take FMJ with you for classes and/or do you travel with JHPs for intended carry use at the next destination?

Signed,

Gun Traveling Noob
    PS: My best due diligence is finding this and knowing I need to go to my state's TSA website: https://www.pelican.com/us/en/produc...ase/vault/v600
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Site Supporter
    I use a Pelican 1200. Any hard sided case has locking points and can resist being pried open with locks in place is fine.

You can bring ammo in your checked baggage. Most airlines limit you to 11 pounds. This is an airline rule and not a TSA rule. The ammo needs to be securely packed, i.e. not loose, factory boxes or plastic ammo boxes are probably best. It does not need to be in a locked container unless that is relevant at your destination.

TSA regs
    Last edited by EricP; 08-14-2021 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    I use a Pelican 1200. Any hard sided case has locking points and can resist being pried open with locks in place is fine.

You can bring ammo in your checked baggage. Most airlines limit you to 11 pounds. This is an airline rule and not a TSA rule. The ammo needs to be securely packed, i.e. not loose, factory boxes or plastic ammo boxes are probably best. It does not need to be in a locked container unless that is relevant at your destination.

TSA regs
    Thank you for your response. How many guns does that hold for you as I'm going to need at least 2 just in case on goes down? Do you pack your ammo in an ammo can/box and lock it? 11 lbs will barely get me to 400 rounds of 9mm if my math is correct. Mmmm...
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

User Tag List