Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Traveling with Firearms: Different TSA Procedures/Experiences

Site Supporter
    I flew with a pistol to Denver and back earlier this year. Leaving home, the gate agent didn't seem to care that I was checking a pistol. He asked if it was unloaded. I assured him that it was, and signed the document stating such. The TSA area was right beside the ticket counter. They checked my bag, and said I was good to go.

When I was leaving Denver to fly home, the gate agent asked me to open my Pelican case and show her the pistol. Then she asked me to show that the pistol was unloaded. I did not like the idea of handling a pistol while standing in line at the ticket counter, so I was extremely pleased that I thought ahead enough to slip a chamber flag into the gun. I pointed at the chamber flag, and after a few seconds of processing time, she understand that the pistol was unloaded. I re-locked the case without ever having touch the pistol, and then another agent walked me and my bag to the TSA screening area. They put my bag through the bomb sniffing machine and then released the bag back to the airline agent who then walked me and the bag to the oversize baggage check area outside on the sidewalk. Then I was free to proceed to through security screening and on to my gate. Getting out of Denver was a little more trouble than I expected, but all in all, it wasn't that much of a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I flew with a pistol to Denver and back earlier this year. Leaving home, the gate agent didn't seem to care that I was checking a pistol. He asked if it was unloaded. I assured him that it was, and signed the document stating such. The TSA area was right beside the ticket counter. They checked my bag, and said I was good to go.

When I was leaving Denver to fly home, the gate agent asked me to open my Pelican case and show her the pistol. Then she asked me to show that the pistol was unloaded. I did not like the idea of handling a pistol while standing in line at the ticket counter, so I was extremely pleased that I thought ahead enough to slip a chamber flag into the gun. I pointed at the chamber flag, and after a few seconds of processing time, she understand that the pistol was unloaded. I re-locked the case without ever having touch the pistol, and then another agent walked me and my bag to the TSA screening area. They put my bag through the bomb sniffing machine and then released the bag back to the airline agent who then walked me and the bag to the oversize baggage check area outside on the sidewalk. Then I was free to proceed to through security screening and on to my gate. Getting out of Denver was a little more trouble than I expected, but all in all, it wasn't that much of a hassle.
    Great idea with the chamber flag. I've flown a bit with firearms, but that hadn't occurred to me before. Thank you for sharing that.
    Full disclosure: I am a freelance professional photographer/cinematographer for the firearms and defense industry, among others.

I take the slide off the frame--pretty obvious that is is "unloaded"....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List