Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: What group shoots stock guns to high standards?

Just as far as the FAST goes, I will mention that my old team used stock Sig 229R's, and everyone was under 10 seconds. Many were under 8. That sounds slow (and it is), but we outshot every unit we ever shot against. Which includes every top unit you would think it would include, military and civilian.

eta: one of those better known units did have more, better shooters than we did, but our average guy was better than their average guy. It's hard not to look at the top shooters from each unit, but it really isn't representative.
    Last edited by SLG; 11-20-2015 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    eta: one of those better known units did have more, better shooters than we did, but our average guy was better than their average guy. It's hard not to look at the top shooters from each unit, but it really isn't representative.
    Exactly.

In units like you are referring to, I'd be more interested to compare something like the five weakest shooters from each unit. Keeping in mind that the "weakest" shooter would be a rock star almost anywhere else...

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    Exactly.

In units like you are referring to, I'd be more interested to compare something like the five weakest shooters from each unit. Keeping in mind that the "weakest" shooter would be a rock star almost anywhere else...
    Even with 8-10 second FAST times? Obviously the FAST isn't the whole shooting enchilada, but it is a fundamentals test.

Just as far as the FAST goes, I will mention that my old team used stock Sig 229R's, and everyone was under 10 seconds. Many were under 8. That sounds slow (and it is), but we outshot every unit we ever shot against. Which includes every top unit you would think it would include, military and civilian.

That's very useful information, thanks.

SLG, can you give a rough idea of what sort of standards you guys were held to, whether that's formal requirement for qualification or just informal expectations for membership? The FAST scores are certainly a good example of this, but I'm curious what sort of standards these groups design and adhere to.

We had a slightly smaller mission set than the other top 3 units, and so we could, and did, spend more time on the range. Our basic firearms package was more than 6 weeks long. Week one started with everyone being required to clean the old air marshal tests, and then got progressively harder from there.

FAST, was not a standard, just something we did for fun.
    Last edited by SLG; 11-20-2015 at 11:44 AM.

We had a slightly smaller mission set than the other top 3 units, and so we could, and did, spend more time on the range. Our basic firearms package was more than 6 weeks long. Week one started with everyone being required to clean the old air marshal tests, and then got progressively harder from there.
    Perfect, thanks.

FAST, was not a standard, just something we did for fun.
    This is what I thought.

User Tag List