Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What group shoots stock guns to high standards?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Looks like a prime candidate to dominate Carry Optics!
    GM, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    Without defining 'high standards,' you're not gonna come up with much.
    The original idea was to learn about which groups are issued pistols and have to make do with what they have, and are still expected to be able to perform at a relatively high standard for le/mil. Our suspicion was that most groups with these standards don't shoot bone stock pistols with heavy or mushy factory triggers (glock, beretta), but they might shoot stock on a SIG or lite LEM.

Obviously the POST quals, especially in our state (it's untimed), are pretty basic, so the question pertains to those trained far beyond that - to a level that competitive shooters would find decent. Eg, 7-10 second FAST/USPSA C/IDPA SS/some evidence of automaticity.

The problem was that most of the folks we thought of that fit that description made mods, like a minus dot connector, reduced power hammer springs and the ilk.

Maybe there are really two questions here:

1) For those units that shoot modified pistols to these standards, what mods do they make?

2) Does anyone shoot bone stock pistols to these standards? Eg, FAMS?

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I dunno... Did you try Voda Consulting?

At least he's wearing a mask...soooo he doesn't suck all of the oxygen from the room
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by eyemahm View Post
    Maybe there are really two questions here:

1) For those units that shoot modified pistols to these standards, what mods do they make?

2) Does anyone shoot bone stock pistols to these standards? Eg, FAMS?
    RE: Question 1, my informal research indicates that you're likely to see match barrels, adjustable sights, slicked up internals, the occasional comp, and maybe stippling. It also indicates that you PROBABLY won't see lighter springs.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    At least he's wearing a mask...soooo he doesn't suck all of the oxygen from the room
    Well, he certainly is sucking...

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It is well established that pilots make the best shooters, and lovers.
    Just ask one.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

There are a couple that come to mind. As an agency, the FAMS do ok. Not by USPSA standards, but by professional gun carrying standards, they're pretty good. DSS MSD also uses stock pistols and shoots better still. Don't know about now, but at least as of a few years ago, there were Navy units shooting well with stock pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    There are a couple that come to mind. As an agency, the FAMS do ok. Not by USPSA standards, but by professional gun carrying standards, they're pretty good. DSS MSD also uses stock pistols and shoots better still. Don't know about now, but at least as of a few years ago, there were Navy units shooting well with stock pistols.
    I have no frame of reference to comment on specific agencies/units, their guns, and their level of skill. But, I know stock pistols can be shot extremely well. So I would think there is some group out there doing it.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I have no frame of reference to comment on specific agencies/units, their guns, and their level of skill. But, I know stock pistols can be shot extremely well. So I would think there is some group out there doing it.
    I'd bet that some of the NYPD special units have reached this level, and I can't see their admin folks cutting them any slack on mods. No idea which units they'd be, though...

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    DSS MSD also uses stock pistols and shoots better still. Don't know about now, but at least as of a few years ago, there were Navy units shooting well with stock pistols.
    If you don't mind sharing, which pistols?

User Tag List