Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Preferred small frame revolver

Preferred small frame revolver

I'm in the market for either a j-frame or lcr looking for recommendation on which are the preferred options. Mostly it will be for pocket carry so to speek because I cant carry at work so there will be a lot of handling in the car. I am considering 357 only because I end up going threw Gary IN sometimes and car jacking is one of my biggest concerns. I figure the 357 might do a little better going threw a car door or window. I have shot 357 out of a j-frame before and found it manageable but far from enjoyable. Please let me know your thoughts and opinions.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I'd still stick with a .38 +P - odds are good that you are just burning the extra powder in the .357 outside of the barrel anyway. I'd go with a heavy load (like a 158gr LSWCHP) in +P. Probably the best you'll do through a door in a J frame but I could be wrong.

If you aren't looking for frills or sentiment, I'd get the LCR. I've heard great things about them. I love my no-lock 442 but the trigger was awful from the factory. Required the Apex kit and several thousand dry fire reps + ~500-600 rounds down the pipe before the trigger could be described as "good (for a J frame)".

I have both LCR357 and a 442. The LCR357 fits most pockets but, in tighter Jeans the grip being thicker is harder to get out. Shooting full house 357 JHP 125g. rounds is a eye opening experiance. The 357 Self Defence Rounds were a little easier. The 442 is my favorite pocket gun. I always carry the 442 in my pocket as back up and the LCR357 is one of my waistband guns. I have been shooting and carrying 38 and 38+P in the LCR these days.

I much prefer the S&W J (442 for me) to the LCR (I have a LCR 9mm).
    The J has a slightly smaller overall profile, is lighter and the LCR trigger has a false reset point in it that has me skipping chambers under rapid shooting.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    It all boils down to personal preference. I prefer the LCR because of the cammed trigger, which is really, really sweet right out of the box. I also like the factory recoil tamer grips more, and find I can shoot more or heavier loads before getting fatigued or "red handed" with the LCR. I find it very easy to shoot well. I carry 130 gr PDX-1 .38+P, but find 125gr .357s pretty easy to shoot as well. 158gr are full of suck and woe, though.

Site Supporter
    I think the best buy right now is the S&W 642 sku 10186. It has the PC action, is cut for moon clips and has the polished trigger (smoother stroke) and rounded/polished cylinder latch (a little less blood when you hit your thumb under recoil) I prefer the J frames b/c you can use the Comp1 or Jetloaders and there are more holster options. The LG405 crimson trace models are small and reduce felt recoil a bit. The crimson trace boot grips for the LCR are hard plastic and even wadcutters through my LCR38 hurt.
    Just check closely for a canted barrel before you buy it. Mine was and I had to send it to S&W.

For pocket carry, a S&W lightweight J-frame, either the 442/642 Airweights or one of the even lesser weight AirLites. (I like the 340PD AirLite, YMMV).

IMHO it's more important than anything else that the gun shoots to point of aim, and definitely choose a .38 Special+P hollow point load over a .357 Magnum-anything, then figure out which weight bullet is most accurate in whichever gun you choose. (IME the steel J-frames tend to shoot most accurately with 158gr+P .38 Special loads like the LSWCHP, while the Airweights and AirLites are much less predictable, some liking 135gr, others 158gr loads.)
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    If your plan involves reloading a snubby when time matters, you should probably be carrying a second snubby. Moon clips sort of defeat the purpose of easily concealed pocket carry, and I'm not sure how bend resistant the j-frame ones are, but that's a possible point of failure.

Site Supporter
    Yep and in 38/357 they are really thin and bendable. They ease administrative unloading/loading and of course unloading empties in a hurry. Reloads are with speedloaders for me.

Moons are good for ensuring positive ejection of all the empties.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List