Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's trimmed back a K-frame fixed sight?

So anyone got links to 3 inch k frames for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    One of my LGSs has a crusty old 4-in. Smiff 13 on the rack. After the fun at the Revolver Roundup, thinking about snatching it and bobbing it to 3-in. and dovetailing for a good front sight.

Anyone done this or had it done?

P.S. Haven't seen a 3-in. 13 around in a long while.
    Run it as a 4" for a while. You may lose the desire to cut it.

Okie John

This got me thinking, wondering, if anyone had done a shortened 3" 13 with a 19 barrel (shrouded ejector rod). Found this picture of a 13 that had different sights added.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=406273

BTW, it looks like the Performance Center did some 3" 13's with shrouded ejectors.

I just picked up an excellent condition 3" 64-5 with the intent of sending it in for some work. I'm thinking a hammer bob, bead blast and maybe some trigger work. A set of Ahrend boots should be here this afternoon.

I'm also debating whether to thin the front sight or open the rear sight. I'm leaning toward opening the rear sight, painting it black and painting the front hi-viz. What's the recommendation/experiences here? The stock fixed sights are very "tight," reminding me of Glock's plastic dovetail fillers.

Just painted my young investigative partner's Taurus 85 (and LCP and another detective's 442) using advice given at the Revolver Roundup. I was impressed how much better the Taurus' fixed sights were than our 442s. Good sight picture, especially after the painting.

I used GM Arctic White for a base coat on front, followed by two coats of Salon Perfect "Neon Pop" orange, followed by two coats of Sally Hansen clear Strengthening Top Coat. I may have to start charging folks outside my unit. On the SS guns I use a fine black Sharpie then clear coat. The blued guns I just leave alone on the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    This got me thinking, wondering, if anyone had done a shortened 3" 13 with a 19 barrel (shrouded ejector rod). Found this picture of a 13 that had different sights added.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=406273

BTW, it looks like the Performance Center did some 3" 13's with shrouded ejectors
    I have a Brazilian model 10 that is essentially that gun in .38 special and a model 65 that was done at the custom shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 11-12-2015 at 07:05 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

A 65LS (Lady Smith) is a factory .357 version of that, obviously in stainless. If I remember correctly, Tamara has a PC13 that might be the right format, but good luck finding one for reasonable-ish money.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Run it as a 4" for a while. You may lose the desire to cut it.

Okie John
    With no intention of diverting this thread, I'll second that.

I had several 3" K and N-Frame S&W's back when nobody wanted them. In the early/mid-80's, I even competed briefly with a 3" K-Frame in Open Class IPSC matches and usually finished well above the middle of the pack. But having said that I didn't hang on to a single one of them. They didn't practically do anything a 4" couldn't do better and finding good leather (no Kydex back then) for oddball barrel lengths was a PITA.

The holster situation is somewhat better now and I'd consider owning another K-Frame for that reason alone if I could find one at a decent price, but the tab those guns are commanding these days just bitch slap the pragmatic side of my temperament.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 11-13-2015 at 09:20 AM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    With no intention of diverting this thread, I'll second that.

I had several 3" K and N-Frame S&W's back when nobody wanted them. In the early/mid-80's, I even competed briefly with a 3" K-Frame in Open Class IPSC matches and usually finished well above the middle of the pack. But having said that I didn't hang on to a single one of them. They didn't practically do anything a 4" couldn't do better and finding good leather (no Kydex back then) for oddball barrel lengths was a PITA.

The holster situation is somewhat better now and I'd consider owning another K-Frame for that reason alone if I could find one at a decent price, but the tab those guns are commanding these days just bitch slap the pragmatic side of my temperament.
    main reason I am interested is AIWB carry.. seems like a 4 inch may be pushing it..

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I have a Brazilian model 10 that is essentially that gun in .38 special and a model 65 that was done at the custom shop.
    Yowza! That is a nice one. I'm buying some more VZs next payday, for the short 27 and the 2-in 15.

Saw a tag that said Lady Smith at a pawn shop the other day but didn't even look close cuz I assumed it was a J-frame. Better go peek again...
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 11-13-2015 at 09:58 AM.

User Tag List