Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone work corrections?

Anyone work corrections?

The way life is panning out for my wife and I, it appears we may be back to Wisconsin sooner then we thought. Not a bad thing besides the fact that we both will need to find jobs. I have been doing college for the past couple years and working odd jobs here and there when needed. It appears one of the quickest/most available jobs open to me when we go back is correctional officer (which I had an interest in while in MT also). While not the highest paying career, it has promotion/salary opportunities and when coupled with the reserves (part of the plan) enough income that my wife can search for a high paying job. I also didn't realize how long the hiring process is for police so it could also be a filler until I get picked up if I do decided to pursue a career in law enforcement. So I decided to ask if anyone has any experience/tips.

Is she the bread-winner, and do you have to stay in Wisconsin?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Is she the bread-winner, and do you have to stay in Wisconsin?
    she is currently, doesn't have to be that way. Right now were looking at options but would be open to anything at this moment.

There is probably a reason it is one of the quickest/easiest jobs to get. I'm sure it would be an interesting life experience. I am in law enforcement and have a couple of colleagues who did corrections before law enforcement. Neither of them has anything good to say about the experience. I do think it would help you if you went into law enforcement because you would see how the criminal mind works up close and personal.
    Last edited by BJJ; 11-11-2015 at 03:57 PM.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Site Supporter
    I am, what would you like to know?

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    I am, what would you like to know?
    how do you find the work? I guess any insights into the job would be appreciated.

Guy I used to work with's wife worked for the county jail for many years and was one of their firearms instructors and apparently liked the job well enough. IIRC, she was once named county officer of the year. OTOH, one of the girls who worked at our main office didn't make it through the facilities tour. From what I gather, they have a high turn over as not everyone is cut out to work under the conditions and at that time, new employees got the grave yard shift and had to work a double if someone on day shift called out.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

I spent two + years as a corrections officer, then 22 as a probation/parole officer before retiring in 2009.
    A lot depends upon the agency. Often, corrections is the unwanted, red-headed step child of the criminal justice system. I remember driving burned out, surplussed state police vehicles. We dumped cash into them for repairs and towed them back to surplus. Over time, that improved. Now, equipment is servicable if not the best. Usually, overtime is plentiful; currently so plentiful that forced o.t. for prison officers is the norm. Recruitment is eternal; promotions come quickly. In my state, state corrections officers start at $33k or so; most police departments start officers at 10k to 15k more. Some counties pay more.

I would contact the union that represents prison officers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    how do you find the work? I guess any insights into the job would be appreciated.
    It's honestly what you make of it. Not sure what WI pays, but our pay is pretty good in MI. There's a whole lot of boredom and a bit of excitement. If you can leave work at work when you leave, it's not a bad job.

About the pay, check what is available for OT. In NJ, State Corrections can usually make $100k/year if they seek OT. The ones I knew were living pretty well while also working part time through college so they could get a cop job; their ultimate goal.

In addition, see if they're sworn. In some areas Corrections are sworn LEOs who attend a full police academy minus the patrol package....which makes it easier for them to get on with a PD.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-11-2015 at 05:05 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List