Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Safariland 537

So I had two pretty good ground fights with this holster and one of them involved some pretty good tugging on the butt of the gun. The GLS bought the student just enough time to be able to establish limb control and get the guy's hand off of it.

I'm pretty impressed. It's not a super concealable holster, but concealable enough for "detective casual".

I like it and I don't see any significant issues with it and it provides just the right amount of retention to be able to buy one enough time to solve the problem with skill.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm questioning the efficacy of the GLS offering protection in a gun grab. I went with an ALS instead.
    I can't quite get comfortable with the rigidity and bulk of the ALS (Model 82). It just doesn't "fit" anywhere on my waistline.
    Would like to try the GLS as it looks smaller/slimmer, but they don't offer it for the P2KSK. At least not that I've found.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I can't quite get comfortable with the rigidity and bulk of the ALS (Model 82). It just doesn't "fit" anywhere on my waistline.
    Would like to try the GLS as it looks smaller/slimmer, but they don't offer it for the P2KSK. At least not that I've found.
    the GLS profit series doesn't work with that model? It thought they worked with a bunch of models? I just did a search on their website and it it seemed compatible it was also on the gunfit chart...that being said it is not the 537 but still has the GLS

The pro fit is different from the 537. The pro fit series uses the UBL template holes to mount the backplate, drop shank, etc. I have one for my 229. I wish they made the 537 for the 229, but last I checked they did not.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I'm confused...the only Model 82 I can find is a Bianchi Finger-Lock holster, not an ALS. The ALS "concealment" holster is the 6377/78, I believe.

With that said, the ALS is very bulky. It's not suitable for concealment underneath non-jacketed outfits. I bought mine for concealment in suits, raid jackets, wearing openly, ect. I don't think the GLS will be dramatically slimmer....I think the main element for a very concealable OWB rig suitable for wearing underneath lighter clothing are offset belt loops that pull the holster in tight to the body. As long as the belt loops are on the holster body itself, you're naturally getting some offset, which then causes it to cant outwards even if just a couple degrees. It adds up quickly.

If you put the GLS onto a Blackpoint LeatherWing, that'd be a pretty concealable OWB setup with a retention device.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-21-2015 at 10:14 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm confused...the only Model 82 I can find is a Bianchi Finger-Lock holster, not an ALS. The ALS "concealment" holster is the 6377/78, I believe.

With that said, the ALS is very bulky. It's not suitable for concealment underneath non-jacketed outfits. I bought mine for concealment in suits, raid jackets, wearing openly, ect. I don't think the GLS will be dramatically slimmer....I think the main element for a very concealable OWB rig suitable for wearing underneath lighter clothing are offset belt loops that pull the holster in tight to the body. As long as the belt loops are on the holster body itself, you're naturally getting some offset, which then causes it to cant outwards even if just a couple degrees. It adds up quickly.

If you put the GLS onto a Blackpoint LeatherWing, that'd be a pretty concealable OWB setup with a retention device.
    I'm gonna' get some pics up in a bit but the 537 is a pretty damn concealable OWB holster. The more I play with it the more I like it.

Two quick pics. The 537 is easily as concealable as the Raven Phantom or any of the kydex pancake variants.Name:  IMG_2790.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  28.0 KBName:  IMG_2791.jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  22.5 KB

Awesome....thanks for the pics.

I was erroneously looking at the 577/78.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-21-2015 at 12:48 PM.

Shot from behind with and without cover garment. It's a standard FBI cant.Name:  IMG_2794.jpg
Views: 1415
Size:  23.9 KBName:  IMG_2795.jpg
Views: 1287
Size:  37.9 KBName:  IMG_2798.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  34.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

How wide are the belt loops? Would it hold securely to a very stiff horsehide (x2 layer) 1.25" dress belt?

User Tag List