Thread: SW 1911Sc problems + G44

Site Supporter

SW 1911Sc problems + G44

I've had a SW 1911Sc Commander for quite a few years. That's the Scandium frame one. It was cranky at first but settled down. However, in the last two matches I tried to use it - it wouldn't hold a mag reliably. They would fall out. Thus, I sent it to SW - they sent me a mail, no charge and they replaced the mag release and tested it. Anyway, I hadn't a chance to run it until today. I took it to the indoor range with 100 rounds of generic ball 230 FMJ from the standard big producers, with Meggar, Chip and Wilson 8 round mags.

Damn, it's a mess. First, when I dry fired it when it got back to me, it had the normal crisp and light pull. But when I put in a mag and racked in a round, the pull on the trigger being very hard, so hard - my normal pull didn't budge it. Had to really crank it. The safety (it's an ambi one I had put on, McCormick - IIRC) wouldn't click in place cleanly, started to flop around. Wouldn't rack back with an empty mag but froze in place. Bah - so going to take it to the local custom 1911 guy. Disappointed as I wanted to run it again. Put in a mag, rack, it fired but with that horrendous pull - seemed like it wouldn't budge. Three jams out of 100.

Shot a 50 box out of the G44 - generic 22 LR something. 3 jams. It was kind of a yawn. I thought it might be a trainer practice gun or if we shot 22s at our matches but we don't in the land of Power factor. I like my Buckmark better for a 22 plink, plink. I'll keep it on the off chance it might be carry gun if my hands go blooey. So far no - I shot all the 230 FMJ, without a problem.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    So here's a hint. I go to take the 1911 out of the range bag to put it away. I look at the left side and the plunger tube over the grip is GONE! I recall that when I first got it, I had problems with the plunger being loose a couple of times. Pretty sure it was there when the gun came back from SW but it's not now. Probably on the floor of the range.

Pretty sure that when it's fixed, it's a range toy - won't trust it for SD.

I’m not sure failing when the plunger tube quit on you is the gun’s fault. Should be good to go on that front of a new one is properly installed.

As for the trigger pull, if SW replaced the mag catch, it may fit differently and cause issues with the overtravel stop in the trigger - if the stop is too far out for the new mag catch, it’s starting to stop the trigger’s rearward motion before the trigger has tripped the sear. Or maybe SW messed up trying to adjust it during reassembly. Just a thought based on known parts replaced.

Take it to someone who knows how to work on “fitting required” guns like 1911s and revolvers, because we all know that’s not SW… after that I’d bet it goes back to being at least as consistent as before.

Mine dumped the plunger tube at about the thousand round mark.

I replaced several parts with Ed Brown and Wilson stuff. Yes, there was extensive hand fitting required. Mine has never had a stoppage, even with the loose plunger tube. I didn’t realize it till cleaning it later that day.

Smith fixed it and I still own it.

I had problems with the plunger being loose a couple of times.
    What did you do then?

I think Smith is the leader in the insecure plunger tube race, but not the only contender.
    If I had one I would hie myself to FLG because I would not expect Smith to put on a replacement any better than they did the original.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Got a call into a local guy who works on championship guns, supposedly. See how that goes. While it might cost me, I don't need to play months long back and forth games with SW.

As someone asked, I bought the 1911 way back when as a noted instructor denounced 9mm Glocks in class due to the Miami shootout and I was all a fluster to get a 1911 as recommended. I note said guy is a Glock fan now. The gun is really kind of big for lil ol' me for EDC. My 26 is dandy given the quality 9 mm out there and I shoot it well. If I want a bigger gun, one of my G17s. 18 rounds (once Clarence brings us to the promised land of high caps for all) seems a better deal for the apocalypses in the mall as compared to9 45 ACP.

As an aside, looking at my 75 year old arm - it's still there. That's surprising because one over six foot professor dude told me that he once fired a 1911 in the Army (an accountant) and it damn near tore his arm off. Surprising, a huuuuge, MN moose hunter dude told me the same thing.

100 rounds of generic 230 and my arm is still here. Doesn't even hurt.

I do like the gun and the big holes and boom! Maybe one or two folks shoot those at matches. One is a geezer. A couple of 1911 9mms and a 40SW 1911 pattern.

User Tag List