Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The truth about pocket folders as defensive tools?

Yea, Craig's deadpan "poor timing decision" as someone gets fed their own knife/gun in an evo is classic understatement.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    StraitR I just noticed you are in Central FL. I'm doing EWO in Copeland (Lauderdale) at Altair Training Solutions in January.
    Thanks Craig. I went and found it on your 2016 training schedule, so I'll send an email to the class POC today.

ETA: Email sent to Shirley
    Last edited by StraitR; 11-12-2015 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Yea, Craig's deadpan "poor timing decision" as someone gets fed their own knife/gun in an evo is classic understatement.
    The funniest part was as the guy was getting his knife taken away, he looked directly at me and his expression said "I know, I know......".
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    "You're being stabbed with your own knife" is also both instructive and motivational.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Thanks ST. It's funny you mention MBC. I was just over on TPI reading about "defanging the snake". I decided to search for more info about it and ended up finding this YT playlist on MBC with Michael Janich. Watching now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVSF...wrPLykryuDoKrj
    I thought I would revisit this after watching the whole playlist on MBC.

My initial thoughts, be them right or wrong, are that while MBC looks to be extremely effective, it comes off as very time and system dedication intensive. Meaning, it's a process of learning moves with their corresponding counters plus various footwork related to each. So, between the checks, thrusts, slices, angles 1-2-3-4, step 1-2-...-9, transitions,... and all the Steven Segal hand slapping, I went into vaporlock just watching what equates to preview trailers. I simply don't have the time, and just thinking this way tells me I don't have the drive, to learn and maintain an edged weapon system of this complexity.

Additionally, and again this is just my overall initial feeling, I see knife deployment as it pertains to my defensive uses as something that's brought to bear in response to a disparity of force or weapon retention issue, not so much as my response to someone pulling a knife on me, which knife vs knife seems the theme in MBC. Obviously, one cannot predict these events and I see how much, if not all, of MBC crosses over to the defense against other weapons, i.e. the blunt force trauma variety, but it still goes back to the complexity and time commitment issue. I'll be hitting 42 in January and have a relatively time consuming profession that requires travel, with a wife, a three year old daughter, and a son on the way that require my attention (which I give joyfully).

After reading a lot more over on TPI, I think I would be best served by devoting as much free time as possible into additional strength and conditioning instead of a complex edged weapon system. Of course, this is on top of the pistol work, both daily dry and weekly live, that I currently do.

I think what I'm looking for falls more inline with the Shivworks methodology of blade use as it's applied and integrated into the overall self-defense paradigm. I'm going to try to work that EWO class in, but I'm currently traveling those days and have to see if rescheduling the trip is possible.
    Last edited by StraitR; 11-12-2015 at 12:53 PM.

Get some good non-diagnostic self defense training.
    That Cecil Burch guy is pretty good I hear .
    After getting the unarmed basics down, add a knife and/or gun into the mix and you're off to a good start.
    Last edited by JodyH; 11-12-2015 at 01:22 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Thanks for the insight WB. I think having the trainer will allow me to experiment with deployment from both sides and see what happens. As I mentioned earlier, I've carried a Surefire E1B or EB1 in my support side pocket, in the same forward position Craig demonstrates, and have practiced the same drawing and striking motion with it for a long time. Not being familiar with the Spyderco P'kal nor the defensive use of knives, I've never considered the similarities of the motion/deployment. I think familiarity of this motion is what's drawing me to the P'kal.
    Sounds like the Pikal will be a good fit for you. It's great folder.

is the cheapest way to get into a pikal amazon?

I thought I would revisit this after watching the whole playlist on MBC.

My initial thoughts, be them right or wrong, are that while MBC looks to be extremely effective, it comes off as very time and system dedication intensive. Meaning, it's a process of learning moves with their corresponding counters plus various footwork related to each. So, between the checks, thrusts, slices, angles 1-2-3-4, step 1-2-...-9, transitions,... and all the Steven Segal hand slapping, I went into vaporlock just watching what equates to preview trailers. I simply don't have the time, and just thinking this way tells me I don't have the drive, to learn and maintain an edged weapon system of this complexity.

Additionally, and again this is just my overall initial feeling, I see knife deployment as it pertains to my defensive uses as something that's brought to bear in response to a disparity of force or weapon retention issue, not so much as my response to someone pulling a knife on me, which knife vs knife seems the theme in MBC. Obviously, one cannot predict these events and I see how much, if not all, of MBC crosses over to the defense against other weapons, i.e. the blunt force trauma variety, but it still goes back to the complexity and time commitment issue. I'll be hitting 42 in January and have a relatively time consuming profession that requires travel, with a wife, a three year old daughter, and a son on the way that require my attention (which I give joyfully).

After reading a lot more over on TPI, I think I would be best served by devoting as much free time as possible into additional strength and conditioning instead of a complex edged weapon system. Of course, this is on top of the pistol work, both daily dry and weekly live, that I currently do.

I think what I'm looking for falls more inline with the Shivworks methodology of blade use as it's applied and integrated into the overall self-defense paradigm. I'm going to try to work that EWO class in, but I'm currently traveling those days and have to see if rescheduling the trip is possible.
    I can understand why those techniques look complicated and time consuming to learn, however, they're really not. While I haven't done MBC, my knife training comes from a similar place (more traditional FMA) and what they teach very well is, distance and timing, and versatility in the use of your knife.

Now, I'm not saying that MBC is superior to what Southnarc teaches, it is not, and personally I have been moving away from a lot of that stuff but it is worth your time to gain an understanding of the concepts presented by such systems. I think your choice on organizing your priorities is fundamentally correct, I'm just asking you to keep an approach like MBC in mind for further down the road. I believe Janich has one or two day classes that he gives (or did give) around the country and you can gain a lot just by attending one at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    is the cheapest way to get into a pikal amazon?
    That's what I found. I bought both live blade ($137) and trainer ($143) from Amazon. I'm a knife nut with a substantial favorites list of dealers whom I like and have experience with, but Amazon was $20+ cheaper than any I found.

User Tag List