Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: The truth about pocket folders as defensive tools?

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Aside from the name and its name sake, any opinions on the knife itself?

I’m also looking at different ZT knives.
    I've been very happy with the ZT 0350s I've owned. One disappeared out of my luggage when flying a few years back. I replaced it with another and would do so again without a second thought if similar circumstances arose again.

Quote Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post
    I've been very happy with the ZT 0350s I've owned. One disappeared out of my luggage when flying a few years back. I replaced it with another and would do so again without a second thought if similar circumstances arose again.
    I've got the ZT0550 and 0551 which I like quite a bit...and recently picked up a ZT0456. Very robust and well designed knives.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I have an Emerson CQC7F that I like a lot.

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

... and a ZT 0620 Emerson (Elmax) that I like even better. On sale for $164...
    https://www.amazon.com/Zero-Toleranc.../dp/B00ILFL66S

Attachment 28014
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-13-2018 at 08:14 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

So, I love Emerson's and Ernest is a friend.

But if picking a knife for EDC where potential defensive use is high on the scale of selection criteria - the Spyderco P'Kal is the best choice. The ball-bearing lock is extremely strong and does not interfere with any grip style, unlike the liner/frame lock mechanisms used in Emersons.

For every day users, general utility, I love my various flavor Emersons and Kershaw-Emersons. Despite having half-a-dozen or so of them, the Spyderco P'Kal remains my go to folder for EDC. Rarely am I found without it, and if I am, it's likely because I flew someplace and took a Opinel in its place (to avoid running afoul of legal problems).

The only things I would change is to switch over to 154CM or CPM-154 steel in the P'kal, because I find S30V to be a pain to sharpen easily. And I would swap the silver pocket clip for a black one. Fortunately, the latter is available from Spyderco for a few bucks.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 07-14-2018 at 03:54 PM.

You need to up your sharpening tools, Rob. It's part of the fun. (Except when it isn't.)

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    You need to up your sharpening tools, Rob. It's part of the fun. (Except when it isn't.)
    That's not actually untrue, I do need a better set of sharpening gear. I also find S30V tends to chip and get toothy around the edge more, where various flavors of ATS34/RWL34/CPM154/154CM will roll and thus I find those steels easier to fix. Because it never fails, that I will goof up an edge or tip somehow with a daily carried knife.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 07-14-2018 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    That's not actually untrue, I do need a better set of sharpening gear. I also find S30V tends to chip and get toothy around the edge more, where various flavors of ATS34/RWL34/CPM154/154CM will roll and thus I find those steels easier to fix. Because it never fails, that I will goof up an edge or tip somehow with a daily carried knife.
    Diamonds followed by ceramic...or...Shapton Glass...or...Venev bonded diamond will all work well with S30V and the diamonds will work with all the higher Vanadium carbide steels like S110V, CPM-20CV, S90V etc etc

You can also use silicon carbide (Norton Crystolon) on S30V.

There are more than a few steels out there that will make you swear a blue streak absent the right hones. And sometimes even with.

ETA:

@RevolverRob Here's a thread worth looking at on bladeforums specifically regarding sharpening S30V
    Last edited by blues; 07-14-2018 at 07:01 PM.

User Tag List