Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: The truth about pocket folders as defensive tools?

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Has anyone who carries waved knives had any accidental deployments in their pocket? I've been thinking about either getting a dedicated wave knife or adding zip ties to a spidey hole.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    No accidental deployments, but I did have a couple less than complete deployments.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    No accidental deployments, but I did have a couple less than complete deployments.
    I've been carrying a Griptillian with a zip tie through the thumb hole for over 10 years. I've had no accidental deployments, but as Guerrero said, some incomplete deployments.

I have found there is a very particular brand of zip tie that snugs up perfectly. The tab is big enough to catch on my pocket and and it tightens up enough not to rotate around on the thumb hole.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    I consider the knife you have on you as your primary defense tool. Relying on firearms is not as versatile, sufficient or as applicable in urban situations.
    I consider a knife what you use when you can't get to your gun to make space and opportunity so you can get to your gun. I'm not sure how "versatile" deadly force is, but my pistol (or rifle if I have time) remains my primary defensive tool and I found a firearm to be both sufficient and applicable to urban situations.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Has anyone who carries waved knives had any accidental deployments in their pocket? I've been thinking about either getting a dedicated wave knife or adding zip ties to a spidey hole.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    If the knife is set up to draw into a forward grip and carried near the back edge of your front pocket, accidental opening in the pocket is impossible. It could happen if you are rem Inc the knife and do not intend to open it, but that is not a big deal.

I could see some possibility of accidently opening the knife when reaching into a pocket if it is set up for a draw into reverse grip, but in this case it should be near the forward edge of the front pocket, making this unlikely.

Keeping the lock and pivot properly lubricated and practicing reduces the likelihood of incomplete opening. Incomplete opening can often be quickly completed with a slight flick of the wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I consider a knife what you use when you can't get to your gun to make space and opportunity so you can get to your gun. I'm not sure how "versatile" deadly force is, but my pistol (or rifle if I have time) remains my primary defensive tool and I found a firearm to be both sufficient and applicable to urban situations.
    I'd be more inclined, at least initially, to use the frame of my folding knife as a striking / impact weapon than I would an edged weapon.

That's just me. My neck knife or other fixed blade would be a different story if it ever came to such.
    Last edited by blues; 02-13-2018 at 10:12 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Has anyone who carries waved knives had any accidental deployments in their pocket?
    I'm no expert, but I do take my folding knives pretty seriously, since I live in Maryland and that's all I can carry.

I've been carrying a waved Delica every day for about 10 years. Carried in my right hand pocket (I'm right handed) set up to draw into reverse grip. In that time, I've had 3 accidental deployments.

My preference is to carry it against the front edge of the pocket of my jeans, like shown in the SouthNarc video earlier in this thread. Like that, it's virtually impossible to deploy accidentally. Sadly, I can't always wear jeans, so for the 4 days a week or so that I'm in dress pants, I have to carry it at the rear edge of the pocket. Since dress pants pockets are vertical, instead of angled like on jeans, the "front" edge is really the "top" edge, and it's just not practical to carry the knife there.

Since I'm set up to draw into reverse grip, wearing at the rear / bottom edge puts the wave opener toward the pocket. (less than ideal, but it's a limitation that I've accepted)

Two of my accidental deployments happened in dress pants. I failed to put my keys far enough into my pocket before letting them go, and the key ring caught on the wave opener. The knife opened about 1/2, maybe 3/4 of an inch. Noticed, corrected it, no drama.

The third was something of a freak accident. I was actually wearing jeans, and had the knife in the preferred position. But I was in a hurry, flustered, and trying to dig my car keys out from under the 2 other sets of keys that I had in my pocket that day. I somehow managed to get my hand between the knife and the front edge of the pocket, pushing the knife out of position enough that one of the key rings that I was jumbling around in the pocket was able to catch the wave opener. The knife opened about an inch, and I didn't notice right away. When I went back into the pocket later, still in a hurry and flustered, I managed to get my thumb on the wrong side of the knife handle, and got cut. Minor cut, slapped on a bandaid, and kept rolling.

I don't consider those occurrences to be a deterrent to me carrying a waved knife, nor do I think anyone else should. They were 3 very minor instances over the course of something like 50,000 hours of carrying the knife, and all due to me doing something that I shouldn't have done, or should have done differently.

The possibility of an accidental deployment can be mitigated by:
    - wearing the knife with the wave opener toward the edge of the pocket, if possible
    - keep the pocket empty of other stuff is possible (not possibly for me, I carry too much crap :P )
    - If keys go in the pocket, consider something like a KeySmart instead of a ring that could snag the opener
    - Accessing things in the pocket other than the knife is an administrative task. Go slow and be aware of where the knife is.

I've been thinking about either getting a dedicated wave knife or adding zip ties to a spidey hole.
    Another option for diy waving a spyderco involves a little work with a dremel cut off wheel, but probably works better than a zip tie:

Name:  IMG_2554.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  40.2 KB

That's a permanent solution if you already have a spidey you're willing to dedicate to it. If you're buying new, the waved Delica is worth every penny. If you're still undecided, the zip tie is a cheap way to try it out, with the caveat that it may not work as well as a dedicated wave opener.
    Anti-astroturfing disclaimer: I am the owner of Bagman Tactical (custom tactical nylon).

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Acknowledged
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 02-13-2018 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I particularly like the waved Delica because:

1). With a 2.9 inch blade, there are very few places I can’t carry it legally.

2). The grip fits my hand better than an Endura grip.

3). I have not come across a single folder that I can get open and in my hand as quickly and dependably as the waved Spyderco knives. The Spyderco version of the wave is orders of magnitude better than other versions. It is very noticeably faster than thumb opening, but the thumb hole is very well set up if I need to use it for any reason.

4). Unlike assisted opening, wave opening does not appear to come with any legal question marks in most places.

5) I have seen liner locks fail but not a rocker bar lock.

6) Since it is not designed for fighting, other legal question marks are removed.

7) With the tip-up blade against the back of my front pocket, there is zero chance of accidentally opening the knife, and either putting a hole in clothing or cutting myself while reaching in the pocket. I have done both with tip down carry.

8). It is relatively discreet when clipped to the top of a pocket. While I would not call it concealed, it avoids raising any eyebrows.
    I have found that the CRKT blades with the full cross-guard, set for tip-up carry, work like a wave opener.

https://www.amazon.com/CRKT-M16-Spec...words=crkt+m16

You can get some of the smaller versions for ~$20, but they don't allow for tip-up carry. Price seems to go up substantially to get that option.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I have found there is a very particular brand of zip tie that snugs up perfectly. The tab is big enough to catch on my pocket and and it tightens up enough not to rotate around on the thumb hole.
    Do tell. I have a couple of Wal-Mart special Spyderco Natives that I had less than stellar success with the zip tie.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by archangel View Post
    Another option for diy waving a spyderco involves a little work with a dremel cut off wheel, but probably works better than a zip tie:

Name:  IMG_2554.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  40.2 KB

That's a permanent solution if you already have a spidey you're willing to dedicate to it. If you're buying new, the waved Delica is worth every penny. If you're still undecided, the zip tie is a cheap way to try it out, with the caveat that it may not work as well as a dedicated wave opener.
    I'm tempted to try that with my two Wally-World Natives, but I don't know how well it will work without the humpback.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I have found that the CRKT blades with the full cross-guard, set for tip-up carry, work like a wave opener.

https://www.amazon.com/CRKT-M16-Spec...words=crkt+m16

You can get some of the smaller versions for ~$20, but they don't allow for tip-up carry. Price seems to go up substantially to get that option.

Do tell. I have a couple of Wal-Mart special Spyderco Natives that I had less than stellar success with the zip tie.
    Well...

At some point I threw all the zip ties in the house into a big plastic tub. We have alot of zip ties. I have no idea what brand is my favorite, but I can root through the tub and find one when I need it.

I know that's spectacularly unhelpful, but I would say that experimenting with a few different sizes and brands is cheap, and in the end, you'll have extra zip ties...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List