Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: When do you divorce a handgun?

I find myself often looking for something to replace my Glocks, but I am never able to match my Glock performance with anything else. By policy at work (LE), I will not ever get away from Glocks completely, but the more I branch out the more I find that I shoot Glocks best. Currently my duty G34 is also my competition pistol. I've got an SP-01 that I hope one day fills that role, and I shoot it well, but the Glock is still king. I bought a CZ P-09 thinking it may be "the one" but it fell woefully short of my Glock performance in the first match I used it in. I'm ordering a short reset trigger kit for it, but I still don't know that it will dethrone the 34.

For me it comes down to ergonomics and better hits, faster. I have a huge time/ experience bias towards the Glocks, but they just seem to do it best for me. My next attempt will be the Steyr L series, which may have the best chance of all, since it seems to be a refined Glock. What sucks with it is the lack of aftermarket support, particularly when it comes to sights.

I tried an M&P and the perceived muzzle flip compared to my Glock was a major issue. No matter which back strap I tried, nothing fit me when shooting even though they pretty much all felt better in the hand. Then NOTHING about the VP-9 appealed to me. And most recently I've shot a Sig P320 a little bit and it seems to be ho hum for me at best.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JB326 View Post
    I find myself often looking for something to replace my Glocks, but I am never able to match my Glock performance with anything else.
    That to me says stick with the Glock. Like I said, I wish I shot Glock as well as I do Sig. Cheaper, better mag compatibility with a BUG, get one for free from work, easy maintenance, etc. etc. If I shot it as well, I'd stick with Glock in a heartbeat. If I shot it better, it wouldn't even be a contest.

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    Hey Lt.

Can you articulate how you shot the Sig better? Was it a test score or same score with better accuracy? I ask this because I think it might help the OP and other new shooters figure out how to decide what better is.
    It is mostly feel to me, it just is smoother shooting and a much better trigger. I shoot USPSA matches with different guns. One of the guys I shoot with commented that he could tell I shoot the SIG better than the Glocks and Berettas I'd been trying at different matches. I'm noticeably faster, smoother and shoot more A's.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Site Supporter
    I bought a VP9 and it is way more accurate than my Robar G17. It's not as if I can't shoot my G17 as good as my vp9, but the VP9 just easier to shoot accurate.
    I only have 450 rounds through my VP9 I got 4 days ago, but there is no curve it just shoots. I hate the factory sights and it will be getting a set of HD's very soon. I bought it with the idea that I just need to add sights I like and run it. I see none of the issues that are talked about in here like felt recoil. In my FAST averages are faster.
    The magazine release worried me, until I used it, no issues there at all.
    I shoot a lot for a LEO, so maybe it's just a lot of reps with a striker fired gun. The VP9 trigger is great, I run a skimmer trigger in my Glocks and this HK stock trigger is noticeably better. Divorce my Glocks...No. Made sell one to be a back up VP9 and a P30SK...maybe. I can see this being my duty/carry gun before Christmas.
    Concerns are armorer support, I do all my Glocks myself and have become very good at it. HK parts seems to have me covered just not a lot of resources on how install stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    That to me says stick with the Glock. Like I said, I wish I shot Glock as well as I do Sig. Cheaper, better mag compatibility with a BUG, get one for free from work, easy maintenance, etc. etc. If I shot it as well, I'd stick with Glock in a heartbeat. If I shot it better, it wouldn't even be a contest.
    I probably worded my statement incorrectly, but I am very content with my Glocks. I just always have it in the back of my mind that there is something out there will give me a little more edge. And quite honestly, Glocks are just rather boring after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by jslaughter View Post
    I bought a VP9 and it is way more accurate than my Robar G17. It's not as if I can't shoot my G17 as good as my vp9, but the VP9 just easier to shoot accurate.
    I only have 450 rounds through my VP9 I got 4 days ago, but there is no curve it just shoots. I hate the factory sights and it will be getting a set of HD's very soon. I bought it with the idea that I just need to add sights I like and run it. I see none of the issues that are talked about in here like felt recoil. In my FAST averages are faster.
    The magazine release worried me, until I used it, no issues there at all.
    I shoot a lot for a LEO, so maybe it's just a lot of reps with a striker fired gun. The VP9 trigger is great, I run a skimmer trigger in my Glocks and this HK stock trigger is noticeably better. Divorce my Glocks...No. Made sell one to be a back up VP9 and a P30SK...maybe. I can see this being my duty/carry gun before Christmas.
    Concerns are armorer support, I do all my Glocks myself and have become very good at it. HK parts seems to have me covered just not a lot of resources on how install stuff.
    Just a little heads up.. If you need parts call HKUSA first, their prices are almost always cheaper than HKparts net, Just remember HKUSA charges a flat $10 shipping fee on whatever you order, so, make it worthwhile. As far as resources, check out the reference library at the HK pro site, I know they have some step by step threads on how to detail strip a VP9
    Last edited by ralph; 11-17-2015 at 10:42 PM.

I dropped the glocks the moment I fired a VP9. It is now my primary sidearm and if still on duty as LE and/or security it would by my duty pistol. The trigger, ergos, and accuracy just cannot be matched by any other pistol for me other than a Hi-Power.

I have been fortunate in that I've made enough coin to by ONE of whatever pistol I wished to try - and I admit it has not been a lot - but I like all of the R&D that HK pours into its products.

I had three Gen4 Model 17s when the first VP9 came home. I've sold one, cleaned the other two; oiled them and will be selling them with Trijicon HD sights and a number - but not all - the magazines.

The VP9 is that good. Yes, mags are expensive though I got all of mine for $35 each (it pays to have great friends and be a great friend...).

Spares are $$, the complexity of the design makes no real sense.

But goddamn do I shoot it better than all!

I'm a Marine at heart (one is none, ...) so I have a few - again, be a great friend to great people and you get helped out).

But I'd not abandon the Glock Model 19 and I have not.

The world will spin out of control into chaos one day and 1911s will ALWAYS be here in the hands of those who can machine parts and KNOW the gun, Glock Model 17 and 19, AKMs, ARs, Remington 700s, 870s, Mossberg 590s and a plethora of revolvers.

If your favorite noisemaker isn't on the list then YOU AND YOU ALONE will be SOLELY responsible for the maintenance of the machine. So have parts and tools and skill.

In Summary

Keep A Glock (one is none, at least two is one, Grasshopper), THEN purchase the HK - which I believe to be a superior pistol through and through.

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Site Supporter
    I shot a Glock 34 for years, got the M&P bug and shot it for a few years, then read this forum about the superiority of the DA/SA and got a P07 AND a P09 (the P09 is my first gun bought from gunsmith with all the goodies - Cajun Gun Works). Had the P09 for about a year - I am so tired of dealing with DA/SA. I pulled the Glock 34 this weekend out of the back of the safe and exiled the P07/P09 to the back of the safe. I am not touching a VP9 or a 320 - temptation is always strong for "new" toy. I have been consistent with 9mm though......

I'm stuck between buying a G19 or 320 Compact at the moment

User Tag List