Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Sig P320c vs G17: MY Experience and Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by givo08 View Post
    The goal isn't to hit a man sized target at 25 yards, it is to hit a specific spot (vital zone) on a man sized target at 25 yards, or any distance. XS sights do not allow you to get that kind of precision at any reasonable speed.
    I beg to differ and agree. Hitting center mass on a man sized target is exactly what you want to do. I used my XS sights during our local speed challenge match (basically an NRA service gun match with quicker times) and consistently kept every shot within the score rings on a B-27, with the majority in the 8 ring. I wasn't winning and eventually went back to more traditional sights for finer accuracy, but saw how the big dot was optimal for close in quick sight aqquisition.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Aguila9 View Post
    ...but saw how the big dot was optimal for close in quick sight aqquisition.
    How much faster are you with the Big Dot than with other, more conventional, hi-viz front sights like HDs or CAPs? How much faster inside seven yards than just straight-up index shooting with a coarse visual reference?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    How much faster are you with the Big Dot than with other, more conventional, hi-viz front sights like HDs or CAPs? How much faster inside seven yards than just straight-up index shooting with a coarse visual reference?
    As my eyesight gets worse with age I do find that big dot faster than the average three dot sight. I tend to describe the whole XD big dot system as a coarse visual reference sighting system.

On my duty sidearm I'm using the Trijicon HD which I find a good mix of what I need to quickly find the front sight and what is needed for accurate shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Aguila9 View Post
    I beg to differ and agree. Hitting center mass on a man sized target is exactly what you want to do. I used my XS sights during our local speed challenge match (basically an NRA service gun match with quicker times) and consistently kept every shot within the score rings on a B-27, with the majority in the 8 ring. I wasn't winning and eventually went back to more traditional sights for finer accuracy, but saw how the big dot was optimal for close in quick sight aqquisition.
    What does your XS sight allow you to do in close that your trijicon HD sight doesn't? What is your bill drill time/accuracy at 7 yards with the XS sight vs. others? Can you keep a fist size group at the same bill drill speed? People on the internet always say "XS sights are good for close up" but I'm not convinced that is true either. I think they make it extremely easy to find the front sight, but that is it. From my experience, it is difficult to shoot a 7 yard bill drill or nail the head shots consistently on a FAST drill with XS sights without severe vertical stringing of the hits.
    Last edited by Gio; 11-22-2015 at 11:07 PM.

I've seen this topic play out on various forums. I don't like the XS, or any of the non-traditional sights. But, it's hard to argue against success, and there are a number of people who shoot really well with the XS. However, I have not seen any high level USPSA or IDPA shooters use them, and that's telling for me.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

What does your XS sight allow you to do in close that your trijicon HD sight doesn't? What is your bill drill time/accuracy at 7 yards with the XS sight vs. others? Can you keep a fist size group at the same bill drill speed? People on the internet always say "XS sights are good for close up" but I'm not convinced that is true either. I think they make it extremely easy to find the front sight, but that is it. From my experience, it is extremely difficult to shoot a 7 yard bill drill or nail the head shots consistently on a FAST drill with XS sights without severe vertical stringing of the hits.
    What your saying is very valid. I can not keep a fist size group using the big dot.

Aquiring the sight is all it helping you do. The time is saved with the lack of trying to get the front and rear lined up also contributes to the speed of the system.

Then again at seven yards all you should be using is a flash sight picture in an "oh shit" moment.

I know I'm not doing the system any justice with my description. All I can say is try it for a while and you would be able to see what I'm trying to describe.

Also, as you have read after all I said, I went to the HD. In the end I didn't feel comfortable taking a head shot with the big dot.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

What does your XS sight allow you to do in close that your trijicon HD sight doesn't?
    Nothing really.

The inventor's early articles advocating his design were pretty much exclusively focused on hitting a full torso center mass in a close range emergency. There was no talk about faceshooting at 25 yards when that's all an enemy has presented around cover.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Size wise, the 320C with a magazine inserted is about the same height as a G17 without a magazine inserted. As others have said, that doesn't tell the whole story. The shape of the grip makes it much easier (and more comfortable) to conceal than a G17, at least for me. Here's a picture of a G17, 320C, and G26 with G19 magazine:

Another, with a magazine extention in the G26 this time:

The 320 full size is identical in height to a G17 with a magazine inserted. Here's a picture of the G17 and 320 full size:

I shot the 320C and G17 back to back a few times. I didn't feel any meaningful difference in recoil impulse between the two. I saw better Bill Drill times with the 320C, but had faster splits with the G17 on more accuracy-intensive tasks like two shots to a 3x5 at 7 yards. I'm a middling shooter in this company though, so take that for what it's worth.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 98z28; 11-29-2015 at 04:52 PM.

The Glock 17 and 320 Compact are my two favorite striker pistols. Using a fast food analogy, I see the 17 as McDonald's and the 320C as Chick-fil-A. However, at the end of the day, both are still fast food compared to a metal gun.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The Glock 17 and 320 Compact are my two favorite striker pistols. Using a fast food analogy, I see the 17 as McDonald's and the 320C as Chick-fil-A. However, at the end of the day, both are still fast food compared to a metal gun.
    Would a metal gripframe for the 320 make it gourmet?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List