Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig P320c vs G17: MY Experience and Impressions

Sig P320c vs G17: MY Experience and Impressions

Warning: This post is lengthy and contains my novice impressions and experience. Reader discretion is advised.

My last post I was in search of what direction to go in as it related to my CCW as I just felt my G17 was too big. I had been considering picking up a G19 or going smaller. Well I had the opportunity to help out a friend of a friend in need of cash and pick up a Sig P320 Compact with night sights and a kydex IWB for $425. I bought it only after looking at what the going price was new and figured what the heck! I thought that by compact, it may solve my dilemma.

Upon first inspection, I though “This seems like a real winner”. The ergonomics were a vast improvement over my G17. The slide stop was easy to hit with my thumb and I could also hit the mag release without changing my grip. The factory night sights are made of steel and offer a ledge for one handed manipulations. Then came the trigger. Even though it is rated at a higher weight than my Glock, it is so smooth it actually feels lighter. Reset is great and it seems to be engineered, intentionally or unintentionally, with dry fire capability without having to rack the slide between trigger presses. Mags are nice steel and hold 15 rounds. Lastly, I thought the idea of being able to change calibers/frame sizes was somewhat appealing.

My first disappointment came when I compared it to my G17 to see how much smaller the grip length was. The Sig P320 compact is the exact same height as my G17! I was shocked that this “compact” was the size of my fullsize Glock. I quickly used some Jedi-Googling to verify what I could not believe. Both have a reported grip height of 5.3”, so no real advantage for concealed carry over the G17. The slide and barrel are shorter but height is the same. My next disappointment came when I seen the price of the conversion kits! Dang, I could but another gun for not a whole lot more $$.

Saturday I had the opportunity to run about 200 rounds through each, the G17 and P320 Compact. I was using UMC bulk ammo 115 gr (those large packs you find overpriced at Gander Mtn or reasonably priced at Wal-Mart). This was also my first day of doing anything other than static shooting, which I have done my whole life. I downloaded the F.A.S.T. target, watched a few videos of people doing it, and printed several targets out. I downloaded the IPSC Shot Timer (beta) app for my tablet and was off to the range.

After my ammo ran out, I was left with some things to think about. I shot the P320c more accurately than the G17 when slow firing. I attribute this partially to the 3 dot sights on the P320c vs the XS Big Dots on the G17. After some accuracy testing, I just knew I was going to smoke the G17 when running the two on the FAST. Again, this was my first attempt at anything other than plinking cans or water bottles. What surprised me was that when running the gun under speed, the G17 seemed to walk away from the P320c.
    • I had more perceived muzzle flip with the P320c
    • My FAST times were slower and less accurate with the P320c
    • My thumb rides that slide release that is “easier to reach” on the P320c resulting in failure to lock the slide back on empty
    • Mag changes with the 17 made me feel like a pro as they were quick and smooth but the P320c was fumbled.

I attribute the last one to the fact that even though they are the same height when measured, the grip lengths are different. The base of the unloaded G17 grip is flush with my hand but the P320c’s grip is just long enough to get my about half of my pinky on but my wide palms extend past the base.

My first impression is that I am not impressed with my performance on the P320c. I know it isn’t exactly an apples-to-apples comparison since one is dubbed a fullsize and the other a compact. However the fact that the “compact” is the same height as the fullsize seemed like a closer comparison to me. I admit am a novice shooter in the overall scheme of things in spite of my 25 years of “shootin’ expurience”. I managed to get one run under 10 seconds on FAST (adding time for misses) with my G17.

I have a budget for ammo and classes and after I finish this semester in school, I will look to classes in the spring and possibly joining the local IDPA. I do not want to pass judgment this quickly on the P320c and sell it just yet. As my skills improve, I may find that I run it better. However, I cannot help but lean towards the former and want to pick up another G17 then have it cut to G19 grip. The “improved ergos, better hand fitment, smoother trigger, etc.” provided me no advantage when running the gun under speed. Again, I admit I am a novice, but it makes me think that these are all overrated.

Thoughts? Advice? Anything?

Good analysis. Very fortunate to be able to shoot a gun at fair bit without buying it.

Question - now which of the slide releases do you consider more ergonomic for YOU ?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC
    Very fortunate to be able to shoot a gun at fair bit without buying it.
    That's part of my dilemma, I bought it before my range trip.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC
    Question - now which of the slide releases do you consider more ergonomic for YOU ?
    The P320's is more "ergonomic" but the G17's seemed to be more functional. For me anyway.
    Last edited by Virtuosity Student; 11-09-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Site Supporter
    I also own both a Glock 17 and a SIG P320 compact.

SIG is making the reduce size slide releases from their P320 MHS candidate gun available commercially. It should solve the issues with writing the slide release.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

As someone who carries a Glock 17 for work in plainclothes, the height of the weapon doesn't tell the whole story. The hump on the back of the Glock 17's grip makes it print more than the 320 C if you are using traditional strong side Carry.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-09-2015 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuosity Student View Post
    That's part of my dilemma, I bought it before my range trip.

The P320's is more "ergonomic" but the G17's seemed to be more functional. For me anyway.
    Sorry, my bad. I thought you tried before your buyed.

Regarding ergonomics - it's a design that aids human performance. That doesn't mean easier to reach or harder to reach - depends on what aids human performance. A brake pedal can be closer to the gas pedal and easier to heel and toe shift (early Audi) but while that's ergonomic for a highly trained performance driver, that didn't turn out very ergonomic for the folks that floored them through the back of their garages. But it's largely academic when it comes to most pistols I guess. Just over used.

But no matter, the key is HCM's post about updated parts in the pipeline. And also to his point about size, until you try it out under garments, you won't know for sure. I agree, looking at them in the store they seem like they'd be easier to conceal than the 17. And for like $40 you can get the SMALL sized lower to try.
    Last edited by JHC; 11-09-2015 at 02:21 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I think we are confusing two different things - Overall Height, and Grip Length. The P320C's OAH (top of the rear sight to bottom of the grip) is the same as the G17's. The grip length (bottom of the slide to bottom of the grip) on the P320C should be shorter than the G17. The P320 has an "overhang" on the back of the grip (that comes flush to the base of the magazine, generally) which makes the grip length longer than the G19, but shorter than the G17 - IIRC. The P320's significantly "taller" slide is what makes it's OAH on par with the G17 (and what makes it "flippier" for some shooters).

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuosity Student View Post

..........Reset is great and it seems to be engineered, intentionally or unintentionally, with dry fire capability without having to rack the slide between trigger presses. .........
    Please confirm that you can actuate the P320 trigger repeatedly without the slide moving. I didn't think that was the case with the P320, though it is true of the P320's predecessor, the P250.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post
    Please confirm that you can actuate the P320 trigger repeatedly without the slide moving. I didn't think that was the case with the P320, though it is true of the P320's predecessor, the P250.
    Yes, confirmed.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

You've gotta drop the XS sights from the G17. They are quite possibly the worst sights you could put on a pistol if you want to hit anything regularly beyond 5 yards and are a complete marketing gimmick.

Also, at your skill level, you can pick anything and practice with it, and you will quickly build muscle memory and improve on it beyond any kind of determination you can make in 200 rounds. So pick what you like most/what carries easiest, then put the work in on it to figure out how to maximize your performance.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post
    Sort of. Pulling the trigger without cycling the action, you get a distinct "click" which could be helpful doing dry fire practice. Though the amount of pressure you have to put on the trigger for it to break is substantially less than if the action was cycled beforehand.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

User Tag List