Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm 1911 Question for the Pro's

9mm 1911 Question for the Pro's

So i shot my first 9mm 1911 a springfield emp and boy was that thing soft shooting it felt like a 22 pistol. So here comes the question for those that have experience with 9mm 1911's what is the softest and most reliable out there and price is not as important as reliability. I want one that will be as soft shooting as the emp but has a proven record for reliability thanks for all the help.
    Rick
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

I had two commander length 1911's built, sourcing parts from Caspian, Briley, Brown, and Wilson Combat, but nothing has been as reliable as the Wilson Combat X-Tac that I bought. Wilson built the gun from the ground up in 9mm, with excellent parts, and I have nary a bobble. If you're geeked by 9mm 1911's like I am, a Wilson Combat 9mm is tough to beat. If I required double stack, I'd call SVI first.

***EDIT*** I'm not a pro...I like to fish more than I like to shoot, almost.
    Last edited by 223AI; 11-07-2015 at 09:19 PM.

The Springfield Warren Tactical would be nice.

I've got around 4,000 rounds through a 9mm Dan Wesson Guardian. Never a malfunction or issue of any kind. I'm very, very happy with it.

Site Supporter
    I'm not a pro and I only have personal experience with three 9mm 1911s.

First was a Kimber from a long time ago -- it functioned fine but I never pushed it very hard.

Next was a Springfield Armory Loaded Target model. That gun ran great and passed the 2K Challenge with flying colors. Nice shooting gun. It liked Metalform magazines.

My current carry gun is a Colt Commander 9mm. I guess you could say it is "soft shooting" as it is an all-steel gun. Carries and conceals nicely too. It has run just fine over the first thousand rounds or so with the supplied magazines. I plan to buy some of the newly revised Wilson Combat mags soon.

Not a pro either, but what's wrong with the EMP? If you like it, why not try it? I have had one for several years and haven't had any reliability issues with it using numerous brands of factory FMJ and JHP ammo as well as several hand loads.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    and most reliable out there and price is not as important as reliability.
    Reliability of a 9mm 1911 was of great concern to me, too. Before buying anything, read Todd's 9mm 1911 test...the whole thing:

http://pistol-training.com/archives/8839

I thought a 9mm 1911 was a stupid idea before he did that test. I made all kinds of fun of him when he mentioned he was going to do the test. It worked out far better than I expected. The only real cautionary tale I had from Todd's test was that it took a bit of tweaking at the beginning to get things running.

I figured that buying a Wilson gun and running Wilson magazines in said gun would be a pretty good way to avoid any need to tweak anything since they're building everything in house to their own spec and in theory all that should just work with no futzing on my end. So far that's proven true, as my CQB has run perfectly from the first shot.

If you're willing to futz a bit and don't want to spend Wilson money, one of the Springer Range Officers might be quite nice.

If you want to buy the gun and just shoot it, best recommendation I can give you is to buy a Wilson and feed it decent ammo through Wilson magazines.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 11-09-2015 at 10:23 AM.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Reliability of a 9mm 1911 was of great concern to me, too. Before buying anything, read Todd's 9mm 1911 test...the whole thing:

http://pistol-training.com/archives/8839

I thought a 9mm 1911 was a stupid idea before he did that test. I made all kinds of fun of him when he mentioned he was going to do the test. It worked out far better than I expected. The only real cautionary tale I had from Todd's test was that it took a bit of tweaking at the beginning to get things running.

I figured that buying a Wilson gun and running Wilson magazines in said gun would be a pretty good way to avoid any need to tweak anything since they're building everything in house to their own spec and in theory all that should just work with no futzing on my end. So far that's proven true, as my CQB has run perfectly from the first shot.

If you're willing to futz a bit and don't want to spend Wilson money, one of the Springer Range Officers might be quite nice.

If you want to buy the gun and just shoot it, best recommendation I can give you is to buy a Wilson and feed it decent ammo through Wilson magazines.
    There seems to have been a lot of work on 9mm 1911 mags in the last several years. In the not too distant past everybody was more or less just using 38 super magazines with a spacer. At least IIRC.

Now there are the ramped/crimped 9 round 9mm Metalforms, 10 round Wilson ETMs, 10 round Dawson/Metalform, etc. How old is the Tripp Cobramag in 9mm? I don't think it's been around *that* long...

No pro here. But Springfield range officer and loaded run great for less than 1k.

Site Supporter
    I recently attended Pannone's Covert Carry class and he was shooting a Dan Wesson ECO 9mm. I believe he stated the round count was over 5k, and over 700 without cleaning, with no malfunctions.

Unfortunately for my wallet, he let me run a few mags through it. Now my 9mm ECO is creeping up on 1k with zero problems. It has been cleaned a couple times, but has run for hundreds of rounds with no signs of stopping. I have used factory, Wilson, and Tripp mags with no problems. Great little pistol.

User Tag List