Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help identify revolver!

Help identify revolver!

It's my dad's. We really don't know much about it. Anybody have model and brief history and a good used price?

Thing feels super tight, pretty clean for its age I think. Plating is coming off. It's a .38specail smith and Wesson.. All we know lol!

M&P, appears to be a four screw, post 1920's manufacture. Looks like an aftermarket Nickel job. Should have matching serial numbers on the butt, barrel, under the extractor star and on the extractor star. Grips appear to be original or at least period correct.
    Last edited by Wheeler; 11-05-2015 at 11:03 PM.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    I would guess late '40s or early '50s due to the stocks. It was somebody's working gun, for sure. If in good mechanical condition, I would say $250 to maybe $300 in value, depending on geography. Would work just fine with 158 grain standard pressure .38 ammo.

Thanks guys. I've shot it before a few times, barrel bore looks really good and the cylinder is tight, not real sure what else to check but I know I could google it. The story my dad got when he bought it was it was a police officers gun, most likely from a prison. The wore spot were somebody had there hand rested on the grip for years is pretty cool.

Cool old gun. Are the grips that worn on the other side? Usually old police guns had the outside grip worn away from hitting against stuff like car doors, etc. My brother's father-in-law has one like that. It was passed down through the family.

Totally just realized that I put two of the same pictures! I'll get one up of the other side ASAP! And only the outside grip is worn.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Thanks guys. I've shot it before a few times, barrel bore looks really good and the cylinder is tight, not real sure what else to check but I know I could google it. The story my dad got when he bought it was it was a police officers gun, most likely from a prison. The wore spot were somebody had there hand rested on the grip for years is pretty cool.
    If you'll post the serial number with the last two characters as x's, several of us can get you an approximate manufacture date.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

It's a c193xxx

Did a little research and looks like it's a 48-51 model made in the THIRD MILLIONTH batch lol. So yes, it's pretty rare

Site Supporter
    Obviously not rare, but I've always found any M&P revolver that worked hard to be a great thing!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List