Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help identify revolver!

You should buy it! Or partial trade on a semi auto!

Help identify revolver!

If someone can look up date codes...

S&W (looks like a model 10 with a 4.5 to 5" barrel) .32-20 1320XX (my grandpa's gun, someone scratched "1928" into the bottom of the grips...)

A couple of my father's guns...
    S&W 58 N2611XX
    S&W 586 AAA64XX

Any help with dates would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Gadfly; 11-09-2015 at 04:08 PM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    If someone can look up date codes...

S&W (looks like a model 10 with a 4.5 to 5" barrel) .32-20 1320XX (my grandpa's gun, someone scratched "1928" into the bottom of the grips...)

A couple of my father's guns...
    S&W 58 N2611XX
    S&W 586 AAA64XX

Any help with dates would be greatly appreciated!

1974-1977 on the Model 58; 1981 on the L-frame.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    And 1903-1905 on that .32-20 Hand Ejector (First Change version).
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    And 1903-1905 on that .32-20 Hand Ejector (First Change version).
    Thank you for the prompt reply. I have never shot this pistol. The trigger cycles and the cylinder turns in DA and SA. But, even without pulling the trigger, I can jiggle the cylinder and get it to rotate. Same thing from Grandpa's Colt Police Positive of the same vintage.

Is there even anyone out there who can fix something this old? Is it cost effective? Will it destroy any value the gun has?

Seems like a gun that I cant shoot is not worth much to begin with. The only value is sentimental. But I would like to resurrect them from the grave if it would not take a second mortgage...
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Thank you for the prompt reply. I have never shot this pistol. The trigger cycles and the cylinder turns in DA and SA. But, even without pulling the trigger, I can jiggle the cylinder and get it to rotate. Same thing from Grandpa's Colt Police Positive of the same vintage.

Is there even anyone out there who can fix something this old? Is it cost effective? Will it destroy any value the gun has?

Seems like a gun that I cant shoot is not worth much to begin with. The only value is sentimental. But I would like to resurrect them from the grave if it would not take a second mortgage...
    Sounds like the cylinder stop is worn. It's probably less than $20 for the part plus whatever a gunsmith would charge you to install. It's an easy replacement though.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Thank you!

Its possible its a weak cyl stop spring or gunk/dried oil caked in it also. A complete takedown and cleaning may improve function.

User Tag List