Thread: How do you keep track of your training?

How do you keep track of your training?

How do you all keep track of your training while you are actually training (shooting at the range)? I was looking at at ToddG's journal and the link below is a post of his that was incredibly detailed. Not all of them are that detailed or have that much info but still contain lots of specifics in regards to splits, reloads, etc. Do you all just keep a notebook in your range bag? Do you use a timer that keeps all this info and then when you go home you just go through it and write it down/type it out? If so what timer? Do you use a timer that syncs with your phone or transfers the data to your phone? If so what app/timer?

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post153257
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 11-04-2015 at 03:54 PM.

I keep a notebook and a binder of various targets/printed drills etc..then i transfer them to my computer when i get home. There i have a spreadsheet that i use to track.

I'm new, so my goals are modest.

Each time I go to the range, I have maybe two specific things to work on. Say one is dot torture, and the second is a try for personal best score on a B-8 at 25 yards. Or it might be 4 mags of ball and dummy drill. Or this week's Drill of the Week.

I go through my paper file of pre-printed 8 1/2 x 11 targets. If I need more, I print them off. I use blue 1/2" painters tape to mount them.

Either way, I have a specific course of fire laid out, before I go.

When I get there, I use a rite in the rain spiral notebook that I keep in my range bag to jot down notes. Sometimes I'll even take my iPad to the range. Typically things change when I get there. I do write down each magazine as it is shot, as well what ammo it was:

http://www.amazon.com/Rite-Rain-Gree.../dp/B000ZZTUEM

When I get home, I update my Training Journal here on pistol-forum.com, with my notes and any AAR notes.
    Last edited by RJ; 11-04-2015 at 04:27 PM.

Shooting classifiers allows me to track some of that to some degree - also if I'm stinking it up at matches (https://practiscore.com/results/?q=MISS) then the results will tell me...

I started doing the whole training journal things here to track it a bit more broadly.

Standards, based on score and time constraints.

I update my site with some, most I just know off the top of my head.

There are a ton of drills/standards out there you can do.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I keep a notebook in my range bag. I keep notes from attended classes as well as drill results from live fire in it. I use the training journal here as well.

I used to keep targets in the notebook as well, but it became too cumbersome pretty quickly. I started photographing them instead and uploading them to photobucket or the like. I keep a few months worth to compare.

I primarily use a notebook I keep in my range bag. Also use an ipad and my cell phone for recording photos of the targets and keeping them on file. I try to take detailed notes as I go and enter them in the computer as soon as possible when I get home while it is still fresh in my memory.

I have a couple things that I use to keep track of what I'm doing. In my range notebook I record what drill I'm running, overall time, draw time, reload time, and what ever info is needed to score the drill. I use iWork Numbers to keep track of ammo, both rounds on hand and rounds down the pipe. It is literally a check book ledger that I downloaded, simple and easy to use. I am on again, off again using the training journal on the forum.

The bulk of my record keeping happens on RangeLog.com This is where I record 99% of what I do. Live fire, dry fire, multiple firearms. Its not a perfect solution but I like the way it takes what ever info I give it and sorts in ways that are easy to go back and evaluate. For example I can take every FAST drill I have run and look at Hit's / Misses and Total Time. It can track cleanings and maintenance schedules, dry fire practice, and reloading data. You can also import USPSA, IDPA, Skeet, Trap, and Sporting Clays scores. Another feature that I don't use yet but might start is making my profile public so that I can compare my log with others. Now this is only useful if other people are running the same drills as I am but I might turn it on just to see whats out there.

Mike

I started keeping a log in MSFT Word seven or eight years ago. A typical year generates 35-50 pages of searchable goodness. All entries includes the date, a short title of what I did that day (like "25- and 50-Yard Glock Accuracy Tests"), where I was when I did whatever I'm recording, a description of what I did, plus notes on what I learned from it and whether it turned out like I thought it would.

I record plans, goals, standards, packing lists, ideas that I want to test, notes about mods, parts of posts from the usual suspects here and on a couple of other forums, load data, URLs, and anything else I find that's useful and that I might want to see again. Every year about this time, I review the year and decide what I want to work on for the next year, prioritize it, then start to plan the next year's training schedule and budget. In January, I close out the log and email it to myself so it's available anywhere.

Okie John

User Tag List