Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redhawk 4.2 vs Super Redhawk Alaskan

Redhawk 4.2 vs Super Redhawk Alaskan

I started off with a Kodiak Backpacker and wasn't happy with the lack of grip options. Then I picked up an Alaskan 44. Hogue Tamers had to go since they ate up trigger reach. I was happy but still had the nagging thought that I shoulda gone with the 4.2" Redhawk 44. I found a local deal and jumped on. Today I managed to get to the range for some pew pew therapy.

I ran the 4.2 head to head with the Alaskan. Two different power levels of 44 magnum ammo were used.

Trigger pull: Even with hammer/trigger shims and a Wolff reduced hammer spring in the Alaskan the 4.2 beats it.

Trigger reach: Shockingly I get considerably more booger hook on the trigger of the 4.2". Even with the Lett grips the Alaskan's trigger reach is further. If you have smaller hands the Redhawk is the gun for you.

Accuracy: I found the 4.2 more accurate in my hands. The longer sight radius, better trigger and red insert in the ramp all helped.

Recoil: It was different. I wish I could definitively say one was softer or worse than the other.

Controllability: I think the 4.2 recovered, shot to shot, faster than the Alaskan. I would need to run them on the timer to see for sure.

Conclusion: I need more range time to decide anything.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I've been wanting a Redhawk for a while now. From the few I've handled and from what I've been told, I always thought that SRH's had the better trigger pull, and that they were capable of taking a better trigger than the RH's. Is that "less" true today?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I've been wanting a Redhawk for a while now. From the few I've handled and from what I've been told, I always thought that SRH's had the better trigger pull, and that they were capable of taking a better trigger than the RH's. Is that "less" true today?
    I swear I read that someplace, just can't remember where or any details.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I swear I read that someplace, just can't remember where or any details.
    The Redhawk uses a very unusual action with one spring serving as both mainspring and trigger return spring. As a result, you can't really go much lighter on that spring without jeopardizing reliable ignition. The Super Redhawk has basically the same action as the GP100, with separate mainspring and trigger return springs. That allows more flexibility in tuning the action.

I refuse to be tempted. My mild Bowen Super Redhawk Alaskan .454 is my primary outdoors gun and has been a joy to carry and shoot. It was also the gun I almost got to shoot a bear with.....which would have been sad because the guy the bear was trying to attack had it coming.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    The Redhawk trigger feels weird. It's completely usable, but it feels like it increases in pull weight, hits a hump, decreases in pull weight, then trips the hammer. I don't know the exact weights, but like it builds to 12 lb, the drops to 10 lb, then fires. Since most triggers build until the break, some linear and some more stacked toward the end, it's just...weird.

I shoot my revolvers DA almost exclusively. The almost is due to the Redhawk. If you're pulling through the trigger in a hurry you don't notice it much, but trying to do a long smooth pull for distance targets...nope. With my GP100s I'm as accurate DA as SA. With the Redhawk..pllbbbbttt, nope.

You can cock a revolver? Who knew? I shoot DA almost exclusively.

The 4.2 is my second Redhawk. The first, that Kodiak Backpacker, had an even smoother DA pull. After shooting I headed back into the shop and fingered a few PC N frames. Not as smooth as that 4.2.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

If I wanted to carry the full power Garrett ammo, it would be in my square butt, four inch, Bowen .44 Alpine. Thing is so heavy, I hardly carry it. It makes a 629 feel dainty.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Slight drift but 300 grain Magnums in my 629 hurt bad. Got some BB 200-grain HCWCGC Magnums fixing to use in deer season.

Pretty sure it'll put a whitetail on its nose and logic leads me to believe it's less likely to skip off big predators' skulls than JHP or SWC loads. Will only get to field test latter thunk if I hit the Megamillions last nite...

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If I wanted to carry the full power Garrett ammo, it would be in my square butt, four inch, Bowen .44 Alpine. Thing is so heavy, I hardly carry it. It makes a 629 feel dainty.
    I am sure I could handle the weight of that,even without eating for a day. I can find something lighter for you if you want to swap.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List