Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Scenario: Youre in the Wilderness . . .

I wore a 329 .44 magnum daily for five or more years through the warmer months in Alaska. So did my wife.

Waded in rivers with them, out in all sorts of adverse conditions, did minimal maintenance beyond wiping with a rag, and they never missed a beat.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Good to know-but if there's likely to be any need for any sort of field-stripping, especially in the field, i still thing that the Rugers are a better choice. But my preferences hardly invalidate your experiences, to say the least.

Best, Jon

I don't know anyone that field strips their revolver in the field -- what kind of scenario do you envision that would cause you to need to field strip it?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Boredom or submersion in large amounts of feces.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I was just thinking about the field stripping thing when reading this. I've spent a fair amount of time out without much maintenance on my Smith 29. I don't find them daunting to take apart, but haven't had any need to in the time I've spent out.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I don't know anyone that field strips their revolver in the field -- what kind of scenario do you envision that would cause you to need to field strip it?
    A fair point-I've certainty haven't had to-at least yet. But I could envision it if the revolver was immersed in silty or muddy water, or if exposed to extensive fine sand, dust or dirt, to the point where things could have gotten into the action. Ease of maintenance under field conditions was one of the major reasons that most military's either during or subsequent to WWI and the extensive exposure to battlefield filth and environmental conditions engendered by trench warfare switched from revolvers to semi-automatic pistols; it certainly wasn't firepower, as outside of the snail drum magazines issued with Artillery model P.08 Lugers, most of the period semi-autos had 8 round magazines-with limited replacement magazines available is my understanding.

And by "field stripping," I mean just that-simply a disassembly of the revolver into it's major constituent components, sufficient to expediently clean/lubricate as necessary to bring it back (or keep it in) into action-I'm not talking about a detailed or depot/echelon level dis-assembly (although there are probably those that would pretty strenuously argue that any revolver disassembly beyond opening the crane and removing the grips would constitute a need for a higher level technician...).

As a protective (and expedient) measure, when I take one of my revolvers into the field or wilderness, usually it'll be in either a protective tanker-type or flap holster.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 12-17-2015 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    But I could envision it if the revolver was immersed in silty or muddy water, or if exposed to extensive fine sand, dust or dirt, to the point where things could have gotten into the action.

We have discussed this exact thing before here, in the past. Cooper covered it pretty conclusively in his telling of the Rio Balsas expedition back in the 60s. They made several portages a day, in which their sidearms were totally immersed. Almost every day, the one S&W revolver in the party needed detail-stripping to clean out the accumulated river silt.

While I have done my share of river crossings and portages, never with a revolver. But I've worked plenty of shifts in driving rain, getting soaked right down to my tighty-whiteys, and I always detail-stripped my trusty old M-66 and M-37, blew away residual moisture with compressed air, and relubed lightly each time. As a result, they both still are in great shape. But neither would be my first choice for an extended trip "in the field".

It just depends on the pistol, I suppose. I have also done a few soaked tours with a P226, and it needed the same treatment, due to the rust-while-you-watch finish those pistols had.

When we had a flood event here locally, and I was waist to chest deep in murky flood water while pushing a john boat around all night evacuating little kids and little old ladies, I was very happy we had switched to G17s and nylon gear by then.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

The flood waters in New Orleans from Katrina were absolutely toxic; and mostly from 100+ years of accumulated funk that got washed out of... certain areas. Just about everybody who waded around in that nasty brew, aside from various skin irritations, had to replace all their clothing, gear, etc., once they were done. I, fortunately, avoided it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    1911's dont require any tools to take down. I think the rim of a cartridge will remove the grip screws, everything else takes down pretty easily.

I havent done it with the tool in question, but I think I could take a Smith revolver down with my swiss army knife or one of the flat keychain or pocket screwdrivers.
    I get such a kick out of this

http://coolgunsite.com/disassembly/disassembly.htm

User Tag List