Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scenario: Youre in the Wilderness . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Sam: Not to be pedantic, but can you articulate what, from a mechanical perspective, you're suspecting needs more attention than this?
    Hi - I get that we can flush the gunk out in the stream, shake off the water, and be good to go as far as the gun operating.

Are there things that we can do to decrease the odds of there being rust or other problems by the time we get home ? I've never submerged one of my Glocks, so I really don't know. I have used them in a light rain, but the moisture was on the outside & I just wiped it off with a rag.

P.S. - I wrote this reply before reading Chuck's last post. It looks like the Glock doesnt really require much care after such a dunking - especially if his pistol did fine exposed to sea water.
    Last edited by SamAdams; 11-03-2015 at 05:12 PM. Reason: PS Added

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    Are there things that we can do to decrease the odds of there being rust or other problems by the time we get home ?
    As noted, not a problem with the factory finish. I had a G17 with an RMR02 that had NOT been refinished after the slide was cut. It got completely soaked on the range one day and the exposed metal rusted in a matter of hours.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    As noted, not a problem with the factory finish.
    In the past that was certainly true; I dunno about nowadays. The local PD just sent several dozen (with more being prepped for shipment as they get them off the street) relatively new Gen4 G17s back to Smyrna to be refinished. These pistols were issued earlier this year, and rusted almost immediately; badly.

Supposedly, Glock isn't doing the Tenifer thing anymore; either here, or in Austria. I've heard it several ways; an appeasement to the enviro-nazis, or due to new government regs… the Tenifer process apparently creates some pretty heinous ethyl-methyl bad shit as a by-product. Dunno for sure exactly what the deal is, but I've seen a few of the pistols; they were BAD.

I know our FTU guys are keeping a close eye on the 1000+ new Gen4 17s and 22s we just issued.

Whatever did the doughboys in the trenches of WWI do with their M1911s and M1917s?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Just pack it in a bag of rice to help dry it out - like a cell phone :-)

Seriously - its a Glock - rinse out major grit gunk if needed, shake out excess water and drive on. You can field strip and re-lube later.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    In the past that was certainly true; I dunno about nowadays. The local PD just sent several dozen (with more being prepped for shipment as they get them off the street) relatively new Gen4 G17s back to Smyrna to be refinished. These pistols were issued earlier this year, and rusted almost immediately; badly.

Supposedly, Glock isn't doing the Tenifer thing anymore; either here, or in Austria. I've heard it several ways; an appeasement to the enviro-nazis, or due to new government regs… the Tenifer process apparently creates some pretty heinous ethyl-methyl bad shit as a by-product. Dunno for sure exactly what the deal is, but I've seen a few of the pistols; they were BAD.

I know our FTU guys are keeping a close eye on the 1000+ new Gen4 17s and 22s we just issued.

I've witnessed the slide finish go from phosphate (Parkerizing) to a host of applied finishes over the years (with varying results from a cosmetic standpoint) but the metal underneath always faired well because of the Tenifer treatment.

If Glock has indeed stopped using Ferritic Nitrocarburizing as a slide treatment (by any trade name;Tenifer, Melonite, Tufftride, etc) I think it will be difficult for Glock to maintain their reputation for durability.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 11-03-2015 at 07:31 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Rag, lube, bore snake, and I always carry atleast two spare mags in a waterproof bag in my pack.
    This. I'd be more concerned about the ammunition than the pistol. I'd want ammo that is sealed. Instead of a waterproof bag I prefer an otterbox style waterproof type of container, but I want the ammo as dry as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    This. I'd be more concerned about the ammunition than the pistol. I'd want ammo that is sealed. Instead of a waterproof bag I prefer an otterbox style waterproof type of container, but I want the ammo as dry as possible.
    If the ammo wasnt factory sealed, theres ways to home seal the primers and around the bullet/case joint. Not going to hurt to keep spares in water tite containers or bags, but if the gun or spares on the belt got dunked, sealed isnt going to hurt. Unless underwater for some time I dont think unsealed ammo is overly sensitive to water.

Some surface rust can be cleaned up, Ive cleaned rust off a number of my guns. Use them a lot in varied conditions and stuff can happen, especially to plain old blued guns. Life goes on though, and they generally will work, if a bit ugly.
    Last edited by Malamute; 11-04-2015 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    It's the only handgun that I'm aware of that allows me to readily disassemble and/or perform complete maintenance on with nothing but an improvised tool like a finishing nail.

I happen to think that is pretty unique, but that's just me. :^)
    1911's dont require any tools to take down. I think the rim of a cartridge will remove the grip screws, everything else takes down pretty easily.

I havent done it with the tool in question, but I think I could take a Smith revolver down with my swiss army knife or one of the flat keychain or pocket screwdrivers.
    Last edited by Malamute; 11-04-2015 at 01:07 AM. Reason: kant spell

User Tag List