Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scenario: Youre in the Wilderness . . .

if it gets muddy or whatever, unload it, was it out with the stream water best you can, dry it best you can, apply lube, done.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    if it gets muddy or whatever, unload it, was it out with the stream water best you can, dry it best you can, apply lube, done.
    This ^^^^^ is all that's required in most cases and it illustrates the practical usefulness in the simplicity of the Glock design.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Of course, your first priority is drying yourself out. Night can come fast in the mountains and temps often drop below freezing even when its relatively warm during the day. You get those wet clothes off and get a fire going to dry them out. Back to your Glock -

How bout a spray bottle with your favorite gun lubricant/protectant to hit the internal parts after sloshing off the mud from that damned mountain spring? What do you like - CLP, something else ? (You'd like this thing to be in decent shape if you don't get home for a week - 10 days).

P.S. - isnt this why so many of us appreciate those ugly plastic Glocks ?
    Last edited by SamAdams; 11-03-2015 at 02:31 PM. Reason: PS Added

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    This ^^^^^ is all that's required in most cases and it illustrates the practical usefulness in the simplicity of the Glock design.
    I dont know how unique glocks are in that regard (functioning with little or no care), though the finish they have is a benefit I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I dont know how unique glocks are in that regard (functioning with little or no care), though the finish they have is a benefit I believe.
    It's the only handgun that I'm aware of that allows me to readily disassemble and/or perform complete maintenance on with nothing but an improvised tool like a finishing nail.

I happen to think that is pretty unique, but that's just me. :^)
    Last edited by 41magfan; 11-03-2015 at 03:21 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    Of course, your first priority is drying yourself out. Night can come fast in the mountains and temps often drop below freezing even when its relatively warm during the day. You get those wet clothes off and get a fire going to dry them out. Back to your Glock -

How bout a spray bottle with your favorite gun lubricant/protectant to hit the internal parts after sloshing off the mud from that damned mountain spring? What do you like - CLP, something else ? (You'd like this thing to be in decent shape if you don't get home for a week - 10 days).

P.S. - isnt this why so many of us appreciate those ugly plastic Glocks ?

Lube isn't a bad idea naturally. But if only those Glocks would show some patina or something after abuse. I've shot them in soaking rain several times, just put them up until the following week and went back to shooting them. Unfortunately they show no cosmetic signs of such hard use.
    Last edited by JHC; 11-03-2015 at 03:00 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

It's a Glock; just shake it off and keep going...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    It's a Glock; just shake it off and keep going...
    Sam: Not to be pedantic, but can you articulate what, from a mechanical perspective, you're suspecting needs more attention than this?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    Youre in the mountain backcountry. Maybe bowhunting or fishing. You're carrying a Glock. When crossing a stream you take a dunking and your pistol is wet or covered in mud.

What is the minimum gear/supplies/spare parts that you would carry in your pack to insure your pistol will go Bang if you need it?
    Figure it may be anywhere from a couple of days to a week before you can get it home. Space & weight carrying capacity is limited, so you want to have what you may need - but nothing in excess. (Unfortunately, you don't have pack horses !)
    The Glock is pretty resistant to stuff getting deep into the innards. I'd rinse the pistol and mags throughly, dry everything off, then field strip it to assess just how much grit had entered the gun and decide whether I needed to clean more carefully. I'd suffer a little rust long before I'd detail strip my primary weapon in bear country, especially without a backup, unless it was pretty badly filled with debris. Given my luck, the bears (and of course there would be more than one) would show up when I'm be sitting there with a lap full of Glock parts, or I'd lose something and have to make my way back home with just a knife.

In a worst-case scenario, you can detail strip and clean a Glock frame with pretty primitive tools, but you'll need few Q-Tips or a pipe cleaner for the firing pin channel and the nooks and crannies of the slide. I wouldn't worry about lube--on a bowhunting trip you'd leave it behind anyway because of the smell. So call it a nail to detail strip the pistol and 2-3 Q-Tips or a pipe cleaner. I'd use my shirt tail as a rag, but I'm crude that way.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 11-03-2015 at 04:33 PM.

Having waded through nasty dirty flood waters for hours at a time with my duty gear and G17 being under water the whole time, and having had to fish my G19 out of the ocean and not being able to do anything but shake it out until several hours later, and even then my "cleaning" being to field strip the gun, rinse it with tap water and use the hotel blow dryer until days later when we got back home, all without any issues the affected reliability in any way, I wouldn't worry about a dip in a creek.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List