Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scenario: Youre in the Wilderness . . .

Scenario: Youre in the Wilderness . . .

Youre in the mountain backcountry. Maybe bowhunting or fishing. You're carrying a Glock. When crossing a stream you take a dunking and your pistol is wet or covered in mud.

What is the minimum gear/supplies/spare parts that you would carry in your pack to insure your pistol will go Bang if you need it?
    Figure it may be anywhere from a couple of days to a week before you can get it home. Space & weight carrying capacity is limited, so you want to have what you may need - but nothing in excess. (Unfortunately, you don't have pack horses !)

If you're THAT far into the wilderness a little cleaning kit or a spare gun would be prudent
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    If you're THAT far into the wilderness a little cleaning kit or a spare gun would be prudent
    Rag, lube, bore snake, and I always carry atleast two spare mags in a waterproof bag in my pack.

Extra spring kit, punch, firing pin cups, rag, bore snake and small bottle of ___________ lubricant. All of these items can fit in a zip-lock bag and weigh next to nothing.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 11-03-2015 at 12:27 PM.

If its wet, shake it out as best you can, dry the ammo and gun on your shirt, reload, go on.

If gunked with mud, slosh it around in the water, shake out water, dry on shirt as best as possible, go on about your business.

I've dropped my glock in the bathtub a couple times. Basically did just that, shook it out, wiped it off with towel or paper towel, (took slide off also), dried ammo out, reloaded it and went on. I called the ammo maker, they said it shouldnt be a problem. I put the mag that was in the gun at the back of the line for using. Should just shoot them up I guess.

If out camping in the toolies, a small basic cleaning kit and oil bottle is likely to be around. The old 1903 Springfield pull through cleaners, bore brush, a few patches, and a small 1903 folding screw driver or one of the 3 tipped Colt flat screwdrivers fits in a package about 1 1/2" wide, 3" tall and maybe 1/2" thick. The smallest size oil bottle makes it all much larger.
    Last edited by Malamute; 11-03-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    If its wet, shake it out as best you can, dry the ammo and gun on your shirt, reload, go on.

If gunked with mud, slosh it around in the water, shake out water, dry on shirt as best as possible, go on about your business.

I've dropped my glock in the bathtub a couple times. Basically did just that, shook it out, wiped it off with towel or paper towel, (took slide off also), dried ammo out, reloaded it and went on. I called the ammo maker, they said it shouldnt be a problem. I put the mag that was in the gun at the back of the line for using. Should just shot them up I guess.
    I was wondering about a related issue, but if I'm outdoors or at a shooting class and it starts raining, what do I need to worry about with regards to my CZ and rust? I've heard CZs are a pain to completely detail strip, but if that's what you gotta do I'd rather take then pain than have the parts rust or something.

First problem is you neglected to bring your USP.

Kidding aside, we wade with Glock and HK pistols all the time when hunting and fishing. Ideally your holster design prevents the muzzle being plugged with debris. As Mal said, rinse it out and carry on.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I dont know about the CZ's. I spent quite a lot of time living outdoors with a blued Smith 29. It has rust spots and stains on it, and lots of blue missing. It got rained and snowed on now and then, I never did much other than a wipe down with a paper towel or my shirt. It sometimes didnt get anything like a real cleaning in 6 months to maybe a year in at least one time. A couple drops of oil now and then was about it (on operating parts, not the surface), maybe a toothbrushing off of dust.
    Last edited by Malamute; 11-03-2015 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    Youre in the mountain backcountry. Maybe bowhunting or fishing. You're carrying a Glock. When crossing a stream you take a dunking and your pistol is wet or covered in mud.

What is the minimum gear/supplies/spare parts that you would carry in your pack to insure your pistol will go Bang if you need it?
    Figure it may be anywhere from a couple of days to a week before you can get it home. Space & weight carrying capacity is limited, so you want to have what you may need - but nothing in excess. (Unfortunately, you don't have pack horses !)
    What Malamute said plus there is a 2nd Glock along. I mean; "wilderness".
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    What Malamute said plus there is a 2nd Glock along. I mean; "wilderness".
    If I took a second pistol along it was a Smith K-22. Great for grouse, squirrels and whatever.

Carrying much stuff around under your own power trims things down. Much of my tooling around in the sticks wasnt neccesarily backpacking. When I did backpack, I was way younger and much tougher I think. My pack weighed about 75-80 lbs, so I just got used to it. Id have to apply lightweight techniques today.

User Tag List