Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 8 shot .357 for carry?

So many posters have already articulated the reasons why the Glock is the better backcountry choice. They're light, undemanding, and dependable.

The problem I have, and the thing that keeps me from embracing the G20 I already own, is ammo. The deep-penetrating bullets we need to reach the vitals on large quadrapeds fall outside the G20's reliability envelope. GJM's experiences alone are enough to convince me of that statement.

So, while the Glock package makes total sense, their appeal slips because they can't seem to run the very rounds that make the pistol backwoods-appropriate in the first place.

On the other hand, I can find countless heavy-bullet options for the usual revolver candidates: 357, 44, 45LC, etc and I need not run hundreds of them through a rotation of magazines to ensure reliability.

Left with that, your notion of an 8-shot N-frame makes some sense. Personally, I like the thinner profile of a 6-shot GP100 and usually default to that for my time on the trails and trout streams of the northwest. Indeed, revolvers don't play well with mud and silt but I use both the Wilderness Tactical Safepacker and the HPG Kit Bag which offer near total protection against everything but water.

As a long time revolver fan, the Glocks do have a lot going for them, especially if weight is an issue. I still prefer revolvers in general (44 mag or 45 Colt), partly because my neighborhood does actually have grizzlies. Take them out of the picture, and I think either a 686+ mountain gun or a Smith 19 or 66 4" would work fine.

I havent had any functional issues with revolvers. I wasnt very gentle with them, but they worked fine for me. I wasnt doing river trips and hardly ever wrestled gators in the mud. I do like the ammo flexibilty and match grade triggers and accuracy of revolvers. Just my perspective. Nothing is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by SMD View Post
    So many posters have already articulated the reasons why the Glock is the better backcountry choice. They're light, undemanding, and dependable.

The problem I have, and the thing that keeps me from embracing the G20 I already own, is ammo. The deep-penetrating bullets we need to reach the vitals on large quadrapeds fall outside the G20's reliability envelope. GJM's experiences alone are enough to convince me of that statement.

So, while the Glock package makes total sense, their appeal slips because they can't seem to run the very rounds that make the pistol backwoods-appropriate in the first place.

On the other hand, I can find countless heavy-bullet options for the usual revolver candidates: 357, 44, 45LC, etc and I need not run hundreds of them through a rotation of magazines to ensure reliability.

Left with that, your notion of an 8-shot N-frame makes some sense. Personally, I like the thinner profile of a 6-shot GP100 and usually default to that for my time on the trails and trout streams of the northwest. Indeed, revolvers don't play well with mud and silt but I use both the Wilderness Tactical Safepacker and the HPG Kit Bag which offer near total protection against everything but water.
    Well, for me, it depends on what the biggest 4 legged threat is. If that's black bear, I'm fine with 10mm or 40 out of a semi auto. If its griz country, I go with 44 mag, 45 Colt, or 454 in a d.a. revolver. Around 80% of my time outdoors is in black bear country, 20% of the time is in griz & moose country. So, I use both types as appropriate. YMMV

My P2000 has been to the interior of the Trinity Alps Wilderness and back, in the rain, 24.96 oz empty. I might have been less happy carrying a 40+ oz. revolver that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    River silt jammed up the action, gun wouldn't fire a single shot.
    I may very well be mistaken, and likely branded a heretic, but I believe there has been some criticism re. that particular tale, IIRC it also had a boast of intimidating the local banditos with feats of marksmanship on some low flying water fowl, to the effect that others who have canoed that river have had no better or worse experience with wheel guns than with flat guns.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    What think the pistol forum folks about a 4in N frame .357 mag for carry? What I'm thinking of in particular is the S&W 627 with the 4in slab side barrel. I want a woods gun that can do double duty as a CC piece when I'm in town and it's gotta be concealed. It would be carried AOWB when in the woods and AIWB when in town.

I've thought about a G20 as well but I think a revolver is likely a better choice for obvious reasons, the biggest being that I'm not bringing gun maintenance stuff into the woods for a multi week ultra lightweight backpacking trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Being in South Florida, I think you would have enough gun there to do the job. I have carried a 4"Taurus 608, a 4" S&W 65, and a Glock 21 AIWB. If your a strong young guy you should be able to carry that gun, no problem. If you are going to be in mud or water, I would just carry it in a ziplock bag, like a frezzer bag. If you were going to a area with bigger game like out west or wear they have them big ass hogs, I would up the caliber. I like the Revolver best so that's what I would carry.
    Last edited by Chup; 11-06-2015 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    ... I believe there has been some criticism re. that particular tale, IIRC it also had a boast of intimidating the local banditos with feats of marksmanship on some low flying water fowl...
    From what quarter? The criticism, that is.

Cooper took pains to point out that the villain here was the silt suspended in the river water. They had multiple portages daily, causing them to get in and out of the water numerous times.

A simple glance at a typical DA revolver will make it clear that what he reported is absolutely possible, and in fact likely. IOW, plenty of ingress points for water.

While I have never done a river excursion with a revolver, I have done several with semi-auto pistols, and simple field-stripping/drying/re-lubing took care of business. OTOH, I have worked many a shift in the pouring rain with a S&W DA revolver on my hip, and more than once, during the detail-strip necessary after that, I found standing water inside the gun.

As I remember the story, it was ONE feat of marksmanship on low flying water fowl.

Hey, none of us were there, but what would he gain by fabricating any of that story? At least two of the other members of the party were his friends, and could be expected to read the manuscript, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    From what quarter? The criticism, that is.

When I get the chance, I will try to find links to some of the original discussions.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List