Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 8 shot .357 for carry?

Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    Ive carried N frames and a G20sf up in the mountains when bowhunting, fishing, hiking, etc. The OP mentioned that this would be "a multi week ultralight weight backpacking trip". The 627 weighs 44oz empty. The 20sf weighs 30 oz empty and about 39 1/2 loaded. I wouldnt consider either gun ultralight weight. - There are many things to consider, including the age and physical condition of the carrier. Is this black bear/mountain lion country or grizzly country ? Will you be resupplied along the way - how often ? Dead weight that you never use gets to be very old when you have to carry it around for a long time. I'd assess the realistic threat level - - fact is, it is very unlikely that a long distance trail hiker will need to use a gun against an animal or bad guy threat. For this kinda situation I would go much lighter as far as the gun goes.
    I realize the threat level is very low, the odds of me having to shoot someone in the parking lot of Publix on any given day are also low, but we still carry an appropriate pistol do we not? I've been carrying a 19 on hiking trips for a while, I'm just looking to up the level of fire power for the four legged creatures.

I consider my self an ultralight hiker/minimalist hiker. I frequently go on multi week trips. If there are two things that are part of my backpacking kit that aren't "ultralight" it's my knife and gun. That's weight I'll pack, and I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    I realize the threat level is very low, the odds of me having to shoot someone in the parking lot of Publix on any given day are also low, but we still carry an appropriate pistol do we not? I've been carrying a 19 on hiking trips for a while, I'm just looking to up the level of fire power for the four legged creatures.

I consider my self an ultralight hiker/minimalist hiker. I frequently go on multi week trips. If there are two things that are part of my backpacking kit that aren't "ultralight" it's my knife and gun. That's weight I'll pack, and I do.

You just answered the question. Given your experience and comfort level, you should carry whatever gun you prefer. None of them are bad.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I'm not sure how much advantage you get from an 8 shot vs a 6 shot. Seems like a critter will either be on you and chewing your face, dead, or running before you run through 6 shots. A slimmer K-frame or Ruger Six series would likely be more comfortable, and buffalo bore advertises some hard cast "outdoorsman" that's supposed to be safe in any .357 and offer good penetration.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=100

Glock 29, light, reliable, plenty of power for North American threats.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

How was the N Frame stopped up? I was always under the impression that woods gun duty was still a thing revolvers did the best (from a reliability standpoint) and a power standpoint. Why was the gun constantly needing to be detail stripped?

My primary concerns are banjo players and and other assorted woods riff raff but the gun needs to be up to bear duty as well.
    River silt jammed up the action, gun wouldn't fire a single shot.

The militaries of the world abandoned revolvers by WWII for reasons that have nothing to do with capacity or reloading speed, although those are factors to consider for .mil guys.

If you aren't going to get dunked or muddy then this might not be a factor. I only spoke up because you mentioned the reliability/woods gun aspect. In the case of debris and abuse my experience is that revolvers are nowhere near as durable or reliable as semi-auto pistols.

In black bear country I am comfortable with a Glock 17 or 19
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    It's also worth considering a .40 caliber Glock - in my opinion, this will be the best compromise you can get for your needs. You can get some pretty stout hard-cast lead "woods loads" in .40 (i.e. https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=347) that are probably as good or better than a .357 for bigger animals. Furthermore, given that you already carry a 19, you should be able to use your same holsters, etc and not need to splash down on new leather or kydex. Finally, they are CHEAP! Even the Gen 4 .40 caliber Glocks can be had for a song on gunbroker (I've Gen 4 Glock 22s go for ~300 like new with fresh night sights and 3 mags). If you "downgrade" to a used Gen 3 they can be had even cheaper. People practically give away .40 caliber Glocks. Last but not least, you can always drop in a conversion barrel to practice with 9mm so you aren't forced to keep .40 on hand for routine practice.

Maybe consider one of the 10mm Glock 29 versions ?

I'm thinking about this myself, though I don't have personal experience with this gun. I'd like something more compact and a little lighter than the 20sf.

When I was in my 20s I carried an N frame 4 in barrel Model 28 (357 Mag) up in the woods backpacking. It was given to me by a relative and was the only handgun I owned at the time. I didn't think anything of it. Didn't know any different. Youthful strength & endurance definitely has its advantages. Have fun on your trip !

P.S. - IMO discussions like this are interesting & useful. They illustrate that our choices involve trade offs and compromise. Adding the element of needing to carry all your supplies on your back for weeks definitely impacts things.
    Last edited by SamAdams; 11-03-2015 at 09:39 AM. Reason: PS added

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Also, FWIW, when I was spending a lot of time in the woods running a chainsaw and clearing brush from my property, I carried a single action revolver in a flap holster. Saw dust WILL still get in, but it's pretty danged hard to gum up a single action to the point you can't cock and fire it. If you're fording muddy rivers and dunking your gun, maybe rethink doing that and get a small waterproof case to put it in, then stow it in your pack while doing so.

I also preferred the SA because I was more worried about snakes. I kept the first two cylinders with snake shot. At half cock, the cylinder turns freely, and you can move to HP if you need to. Bears aren't a concern for me, but wild dogs and meth heads could be.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Since re-discovering the Joy of Revolvers, I've been carrying a 4" M28 in the woods for about a year. Before that it was a BHP. Before that a HK USPc .40. Before that a 229 in .357sig. Although for my location ( Far Upper Midwest and Upper Plains) the biggest critters are black bears, big cats, or wolves. Never even seen a big cat print, but theyre there. I too have been doing a fair amout of brush clearing and tree cutting past months. It was carried in a OWB pancake. On one occasion after a long day of cutting, I blasted the innerds with carb cleaner followed by air and Ballistol. Im sure a river dunk or some cattail mud would be worse though. I did do some lightweight river kyaking with it. I used a waterproof waistpack I had picked up a few years back at REI. It works great, fairly inexpensive (even by REI standards) and along with a simple leather sleeve home made holster (cheap craft leather from HobbyLobby molded, sewed and dyed) works great. It went trough a half dozed day trips, some inept kayak handling and dunking none the worse for wear. I think if birdshot/snakeshot is even a possibility that the revolver would get the nod.

Just some random thoughts from a frequent reader and occasional poster.

What think the pistol forum folks about a 4in N frame .357 mag for carry? What I'm thinking of in particular is the S&W 627 with the 4in slab side barrel. I want a woods gun that can do double duty as a CC piece when I'm in town and it's gotta be concealed. It would be carried AOWB when in the woods and AIWB when in town.

I've thought about a G20 as well but I think a revolver is likely a better choice for obvious reasons, the biggest being that I'm not bringing gun maintenance stuff into the woods for a multi week ultra lightweight backpacking trip.

I grew up on N-frames, to include carrying them concealed in various NPEs back in the day, and I love them beyond reason.

If bears are truly a major part of the equation, I'd prefer a 44 or 45 over a 357. No real reason or experience, just a warmer/fuzzier feeling with a 240-grain bullet at about 1,000 fps. Chances are I'll only fire 1-2 shots in haste, so six is plenty, and I don't know that giving up frontal area and bullet weight to get two more shots is worth giving up the sheer mass of a bigger bullet. If people are the bigger threat, then I'd go Glock every time. For people AND bears AND concealed carry AND rough conditions, I'd take a 10mm Glock or a HK USP 45 loaded with 45 Super ammo over an N-frame every time.

See also https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ighlight=field and https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....5-field-pistol

Okie John

User Tag List