Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8 shot .357 for carry?

8 shot .357 for carry?

What think the pistol forum folks about a 4in N frame .357 mag for carry? What I'm thinking of in particular is the S&W 627 with the 4in slab side barrel. I want a woods gun that can do double duty as a CC piece when I'm in town and it's gotta be concealed. It would be carried AOWB when in the woods and AIWB when in town.

I've thought about a G20 as well but I think a revolver is likely a better choice for obvious reasons, the biggest being that I'm not bringing gun maintenance stuff into the woods for a multi week ultra lightweight backpacking trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you ever held an N-frame? Good luck carrying one IWB. And I don't know what the "obvious reasons" are for a revolver being better than an auto, especially a Glock 20. It's be shown many times that Glocks and other quality semiautos are about as reliable as a good wheel gun, even under adverse conditions. A little gun oil and a rag to wipe it off should suffice for maintenance and I would take that for a revolver too if I'm going out for an extended time.

The only reason I carry a .357 mag in the woods is because I don't have money for a Glock 20 right now.

Given your stated lightweight hiking trip, have you compared the weights of the N-Frame vs competitors?

Under adverse conditions, let's say getting dunked in a river, rained on/sweated on, muddy, the Glock beats any wheelgun ever made.

Pre Glock, Cooper noted the semi auto vs revolver thing on a river expedition he was involved in way back when. His 1911s functioned fine, the dude with the N frame found his gun dead and needing to be detail stripped every single day. That's quite a chore.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I have no problem carrying an N frame iwb, and do so frequently for outdoor chores. However, I do it because I like to, not because it is the best choice for a multi week lightweight backpacking trip. I would also not choose a G20, if I had a choice. A G19 would be a step in the right direction, depending on anticipated threats.

I would choose a Glock too. 19, 17, 22, 31.

But, when I was considering taking my 4" 629 to AK this year I got a FIST #1K straight drop clip for the 4" N frame and I could make that work AIWB or IWB. I did carry N frames in each of those positions back in the '80's though. Its a pantload but it can be done.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Have you ever held an N-frame? Good luck carrying one IWB. And I don't know what the "obvious reasons" are for a revolver being better than an auto, especially a Glock 20. It's be shown many times that Glocks and other quality semiautos are about as reliable as a good wheel gun, even under adverse conditions. A little gun oil and a rag to wipe it off should suffice for maintenance and I would take that for a revolver too if I'm going out for an extended time.

The only reason I carry a .357 mag in the woods is because I don't have money for a Glock 20 right now.
    Yes, I own a Nickel 27-2 (my fathers old duty gun) but it's an 6 in and has the original grips. Maybe a 686 SSR would be more appropriate?

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    Given your stated lightweight hiking trip, have you compared the weights of the N-Frame vs competitors?
    Yes and an N frame is certainly heavier than a G20. I had also thought about a 329 but in the three years I worked in a gun shop I had the opportunity to see multiple scandium/titanium guns come apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Under adverse conditions, let's say getting dunked in a river, rained on/sweated on, muddy, the Glock beats any wheelgun ever made.

Pre Glock, Cooper noted the semi auto vs revolver thing on a river expedition he was involved in way back when. His 1911s functioned fine, the dude with the N frame found his gun dead and needing to be detail stripped every single day. That's quite a chore.
    How was the N Frame stopped up? I was always under the impression that woods gun duty was still a thing revolvers did the best (from a reliability standpoint) and a power standpoint. Why was the gun constantly needing to be detail stripped?

My primary concerns are banjo players and and other assorted woods riff raff but the gun needs to be up to bear duty as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revolvers are much less convenient to field strip, dry off after a dunk or a drizzle, and have a greater requirement for free-movement prior to the first shot as compared to automatics.

As far as banjos, the Glock and a box of condoms may serve you better and with significantly less weight penalty, as far as the ability to service a reasonable expectation of unknowns.

Ive carried N frames and a G20sf up in the mountains when bowhunting, fishing, hiking, etc. The OP mentioned that this would be "a multi week ultralight weight backpacking trip". The 627 weighs 44oz empty. The 20sf weighs 30 oz empty and about 39 1/2 loaded. I wouldnt consider either gun ultralight weight. - There are many things to consider, including the age and physical condition of the carrier. Is this black bear/mountain lion country or grizzly country ? Will you be resupplied along the way - how often ? Dead weight that you never use gets to be very old when you have to carry it around for a long time. I'd assess the realistic threat level - - fact is, it is very unlikely that a long distance trail hiker will need to use a gun against an animal or bad guy threat. For this kinda situation I would go much lighter as far as the gun goes.

The snub 8 shot performance center guns would serve the role well. I have both the 2 5/8 627 and the 327, which is very workable for AIWB and would make a good lightweight hiking gun. It is a carry a lot gun versus shoot a lot gun and far more manageable than things like the 329's.

The 686 SSR is also a great choice, and the 3-4 Ruger GP100's would also be a great choice and are very rugged. Hizzie daily carries his Wily Clapp GP100's AIWB and runs them like a boss.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List