Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old school SoCal revolver stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I think they shot wax bullets mostly. Not positive.
    Current Cowboy Fast Draw uses wax bullets, and .45 "Long" Colt brass with the primer pocket drilled out for shotgun primers. The targets are steel, with a light in the middle; the hit records the time,and if more than one shooter is on the line the light of the first target to score a hit lights up.

I believe that the mounted cowboy shooting sport, whatever it's called, uses blanks, and balloons for targets.

At the Washington Fair several years ago the 1st Cavalry Division's Mounted Demonstration unit was showing off, I mean, indulging everyone's John Wayne fantasies, I mean, wowing the crowd (next Pfestivus I intend to ask for a strikethrough option) with a display of various standard horse soldier feats of skill. They, too, used blanks in their SAAs and balloons as targets.

Pretty cool duty; the Army was sending these guys off to farrier and saddle makers schools, teaching them to be an armorer on 1873 SAAs and Trapdoor Springfields. The First Sergeant was definitely having more fun than the UCMJ probably allows...
    Last edited by Drang; 11-03-2015 at 06:32 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Current Cowboy Fast Draw uses wax bullets, and .45 "Long" Colt brass with the primer pocket drilled out for shotgun primers. The targets are steel, with a light in the middle; the hit records the time,and if more than one shooter is on the line the light of the first target to score a hit lights up.

I believe that the mounted cowboy shooting sport, whatever it's called, uses blanks, and balloons for targets.

At the Washington Fair several years ago the 1st Cavalry Division's Mounted Demonstration unit was showing off, I mean, indulging everyone's John Wayne fantasies, I mean, wowing the crowd (next Pfestivus I intend to ask for a strikethrough option) with a display of various standard horse soldier feats of skill. They, too, used blanks in their SAAs and balloons as targets.

Pretty cool duty; the Army was sending these guys off to farrier and saddle makers schools, teaching them to be an armorer on 1873 SAAs and Trapdoor Springfields. The First Sergeant was definitely having more fun than the UCMJ probably allows...
    This is correct for competition. I went back and reread my post and I meant to put using the balloons for "exhibition" not competition. Drang is also correct about the balloons and blanks for the mounted stuff as that is more about the horsemanship, and you do not want projectiles flying around and arena and with the horses. If you have never watched the mounted shooters, it is a real treat if they are ever having a match in your area.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List