Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CD-2 Safariland speedloader holders

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I agree. I'm not sure there is any open topped speed loader carrier that is good enough for street carry.
    What issues have kept them from being good enough for street carry? I'm specifically interested in any shortcomings that came up in plain clothes carry. I can see where they'd be insufficient for uniform or OC carry as a struggle could dislodge them pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    What issues have kept them from being good enough for street carry? I'm specifically interested in any shortcomings that came up in plain clothes carry. I can see where they'd be insufficient for uniform or OC carry as a struggle could dislodge them pretty easily.
    The speed loaders are easily knocked out. Just a sideways swipe will do it sometimes. The post I put in some of mine helps prevent that, but they are still not secure. If I was to carry a revolver with speed loaders, I would design something like the Ready Tactical, only much deeper and I would carry the Comp lll or similar spring loaded loader with a longer handle. That package isn't much bulkier than a double stack mag. Blade-Tech used to make a split speed loader carrier that carried 3 rounds behind the belt with the other 3 in front of the belt. Something like that only deeper would work.

I wonder if gluing thin leather rough side exposed to the belt inside the belt clip would improve its grip on the belt?

May help hold the loader also if some was glued in the wide part at the top front.

I have one or two of these, I forgot I had them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I guess they aren't made anymore, but safariland used to offer a split-six version in metal....CD-something

Carried like this: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/133...e-5-shot-black

but was metal and open-top like the CD-2.
    CD-6

Very uncomfortable. Downright painful to wear.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I wonder if gluing thin leather rough side exposed to the belt inside the belt clip would improve its grip on the belt?

May help hold the loader also if some was glued in the wide part at the top front.

I have one or two of these, I forgot I had them.
    There's a piece of rubber inside the front piece already.

Hmm, well, I'll test it and give it a go. I think for carry in a suit it's not going to be a big issue. I just don't think I whack myself in the waist at 2 o'clock that much, but time will tell. I'm also positioning it between my badge and holster, which gives it some protection. Absolutely no way I'd OC them, though, or on a duty belt.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 11-03-2015 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    CD-6

Very uncomfortable. Downright painful to wear.
    Thanks for the data point.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Ready Tac used to make a Kydex speed loader holder of similar concept to the sheet metal Safariland. But it had retaining hooks on its mini-paddle back and the front was cupped around the loader more. Not as secure as a flapped pouch, but still better than the Safariland. He quit making them because IDPA in its wisdom banned the whole open sided design instead of singling out the Safariland.

Same deal on magazine carriers. The Ready Tac "claw" was light, compact, and as secure as an open top can be. But the metal Safariland wasn't, so the BoD threw out the baby with the bathwater and required that the outside surface of the magazine be covered. The replacement design looks better and is actually faster for the competitive draw, but has less retention.

I bought those metal Safariland holders when they first came out and used them as range gear occasionally, but would never consider using them for anything serious. I routinely dislodged loaders from the pouch in aggressively assuming and recovering from prone shooting.

Has anyone ever used the JOX loader pouch? My initial impression of them is positive, but I've never handled them.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

The JOX looks like it might be pretty good. If I was going to carry a revolver, I'd order a couple for either the Comp lll, Jetloader or SL Varient.

I have an Andrews custom pouch on the way. Not open top, but seems to be the best option out there now.

User Tag List