Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not my words: Cops in the US would've executed him...

Not my words: Cops in the US would've executed him...

I just saw this posted recently and felt like this could be an interesting discussion.

This could probably go into mindset/tactics or LEO, but I figured it was a good start here.

Okay folks, have at it. There's plenty in here starting with culture, economics, mindset, etc.

For the record, I think the below example of how things should be handled universally is impractical at best. Could it be used as a tactic in special circumstances? Sure, but why not bean bag the guy or use some other LTL option.

The below still has risks that are seen/unseen. Such as sending a lunatic out on the street with a machete and watch 30 cops show up so you can loot the other half of the city/town while they're busy?

Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Just because a tactic works doesn't mean it's correct.
    Run that same situation force on force 10 times and I bet a cop is going to get seriously injured 1/3 of the time or more.
    Last edited by JodyH; 10-31-2015 at 08:53 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Just because a tactic works doesn't mean it's correct.
    Agreed. I think it was nyeti who said, "luck can often breed bad tactics" or something to that effect.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Pig pile a guy with a machete... yea... no.
    I might be willing to try a Taser if someone like Nyeti was backing me up with a 12 gauge.
    Last edited by JodyH; 10-31-2015 at 08:56 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Dude was pretty complacent and not focused on one officer, it worked there.....but as we've seen in the other thread about the home invasion with the sword defence, blades cause some damage. If the man had one good thrust/lunge on a cop would this be a good tactic while the cops bowls/intestines flop onto the ground?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Had this guy made a committed charge you'd have seen an officer severely injured. The recycle bin the cops drag around doesn't do a thing to take away from machete dude's reach with the blade. We'd have tried to Taser or beanbag his ass, but our policy with less lethal was that there had to be lethal cover. Maybe less lethal would have worked, maybe not, but I'm not volunteering to get decapitated.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Meh. Not rewarding the asshole with a click.*

The situation dictates the response. There are options I have when I have 10+ backup officers I don't have when I'm alone. There are options I have when someone is half-ass about hurting someone or themselves and is mostly just attention whoring or posturing for his buddies then when someone is really wanting to kill someone.

Execute is not the same as using lethal force.

The end.

*the asshole who posted the video, just to be clear. Clicks are like money.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 10-31-2015 at 09:21 AM.

I'm a firm believer that there are a host of less & non-lethal options available if you have well planned and practiced contingencies in place. But the only reason this guy didn't hurt anyone in this incident is because he simply wasn't forcing the issue.

These behaviors are fairly common and they're routinely paraded as inappropriate examples for a "kinder and gentler" response to similar threats.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    Here's a video from Central America where cops tried to arrest a guy with a knife. All the Cops were armed and he still managed to stab several before he got shot. Starts at 4:00.

Last edited by Tom_Jones; 10-31-2015 at 12:41 PM. Reason: embedded video

Quote Originally Posted by Jackdog View Post
    Here's a video from Central America where cops tried to arrest a guy with a knife. All the Cops were armed and he still managed to stab several before he got shot. Starts at 4:00.

gotta sign in to see it, but if its the one i'm thinking about its also a good video on the importance of maintaining mobility and avoiding bad positioning
    Last edited by Tom_Jones; 10-31-2015 at 12:42 PM. Reason: embedded video

User Tag List