Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92D

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Beretta 92D

So... Tell me about these guns. How are the triggers? What would be a reasonable price for one (after taxes, etc)? I would plan to send it to Wilson eventually - anything else I should consider doing with it either before/after trip to Wilson?

edit - Also, grips... I really like the idea of wood grips (I only really own boring plastic guns with one or two exceptions) and as long as I would have a full steel pistol I would certainly prefer wood. However, I've heard they make the grip super thick and I have smaller hands to begin with.... Otherwise was looking at WC's G10 grips or an equivalent.

double edit - also, in your opinion, what would would you have done to it at Wilson? I had a few ideas spec'd out but am open to thoughts. Definitely want a shorter trigger, action tune, extended mag release, and improve sights (Battlefront rear + FO drilled into the front sight). Maybe a refinish... anything else?
    Last edited by Nephrology; 10-30-2015 at 07:54 PM.

If you look around, these tend to pop up for sale sporadically. If I had one, I'd would add a Wilson Combat trigger bar and a 12 or 13 # mainspring.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 10-30-2015 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    If you look around, these tend to pop up for sale sporadically. If I had one, I'd would add a Wilson Combat trigger bar and a 12 or 13 # mainspring.
    What would be a fair price for one, you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    $350 - 400 ish. They seem to appear on the market in batches, and they have a tendency to sit around for a while.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Depends on condition and exact variant( Full size, centurion etc) $250-450 . You may find it easier and cheaper to find a 96D and drop a 9 mm barrel into it.

You can send it to Wilson for new sites and refinish if you want but these guns really don't need any trigger work. The triggers on these guns feel like a well tuned Smith & Wesson revolver.

I carried an issued 96D brigadier as both my duty and primary off-duty done for several years. I even shot my first USPSA match with it. The trigger and accuracy were awesome. My only complaints were durability issues related to the 40 caliber round and the slow split times with the long pull DAO being rather slow.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Depends on condition and exact variant( Full size, centurion etc) $250-450 . You may find it easier and cheaper to find a 96D and drop a 9 mm barrel into it.

You can send it to Wilson for new sites and refinish if you want but these guns really don't need any trigger work. The triggers on these guns feel like a well tuned Smith & Wesson revolver.

I carried an issued 96D brigadier as both my duty and primary off-duty done for several years. I even shot my first USPSA match with it. The trigger and accuracy were awesome. My only complaints were durability issues related to the 40 caliber round and the slow split times with the long pull DAO being rather slow.
    Completely agree. The triggers are fantastic. I can't remember how much I picked mine up for but it was somewhere around $300 or so. Also the Wilson Ultra Thin G10's are awesome, especially if you've got midget thumbs like I was cursed with.

I carried the 96D brigadier on duty too. Accurate, great trigger considering its DAO. It was just low capacity for the size and weight. A 92D would be preferable. I have a personal 96D now with a drop in 92 barrel and it runs just fine..

They were easy to find a few years back as many department trade ins hit the market. I think most of those deals have long since passed.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    There's a pretty decent looking 92D on GB right now:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=518244734
    that might be my bid

New recoil spring, new trigger return spring for sure (cheap insurance). No telling what type of mileage the gun had.

Possibly a new locking block, if you get a bug to be extra sure... But probably not necessary. Looking at pics on GB, that gun has never been holster carried and from the look of the unmarked finish on the barrel, it did not see much use.

Would be nice to have the M9a3 convert FS to G as planned, but also abide to D with a new hammer and sear....
    Last edited by Gadfly; 10-30-2015 at 09:10 PM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Here's a sneak peak of my 92D Centurion. I've only just received the gun, so I will write a better review in a day or so

Some random thoughts:

- Trigger is excellent! It's the best out of the box DA trigger I've ever tried. I've dry fired it the last two nights and IMO if you can't shoot this DA trigger without modifications, you simply can't shoot a DA trigger. It's that good.

- Centurions are the HEAT when it come to Beretta's. Nothing else comes close.

- Grips aren't as slippery or as wide as I thought they would be.

Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 10-30-2015 at 10:42 PM.

User Tag List