Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Trigger freeze when shooting fast?

...bill drills into a blank berm and simply watching and feeling the gun.
    AKA timing drills. That's how I got past my trigger freeze issues. The most common cause of "trigger freeze" is simply not isolating the action of the trigger finger from the rest of the grip. Manipulate the trigger same speed in/same speed out and be sure to go well past the point of reset. Those awesome low teen splits are kind of cool, but I think we all know they aren't vital to winning a match. Ask the ROs that review the timers after running world class shooters at major matches how many low teen splits they see outside of Open Division.

Quote Originally Posted by rwa View Post
    AKA timing drills. That's how I got past my trigger freeze issues. The most common cause of "trigger freeze" is simply not isolating the action of the trigger finger from the rest of the grip. Manipulate the trigger same speed in/same speed out and be sure to go well past the point of reset. Those awesome low teen splits are kind of cool, but I think we all know they aren't vital to winning a match. Ask the ROs that review the timers after running world class shooters at major matches how many low teen splits they see outside of Open Division.
    It sounds like at a certain point pure split speed/time has a diminishing return. What sets the winners apart from the losers at that level? Accuracy, movement into/out of shooting positions, general stage strategy?

From what I've gathered, to be a top contender LOCALLY, you need to shoot major, shoot mostly A's with some C's, and move FAST. Shoot fast too but you don't have to rip off .15 splits.. And if you can shoot a Texas star quickly that helps.

I thought the whole point of the bill drill was to brag online? So splits would be very Important lol. My draw is almost 2 seconds so I have to make up time somewhere.
    Last edited by Luke; 11-04-2015 at 10:27 AM.

Regarding splits and winning matches. There are some places, some targets where you will have splits in the teens and get A's. Close and open targets for example... And ask Bob Vogel, or someone who has finished 2nd by 1 single match point out of 2,000, or .0000001% how much a tenth or hundreth is worth. Or how about in a SD situatoin when you have no idea how much time you'll need.

But I think the point of training bill drills, or evaluating your splits, is because shooting very, very fast within a strict accuracy standard is where things get difficult, where things break down. It's "easy" to have a good grip (or think you do) when you are shooting .35 splits at 7 yards. But shooting .25 splits at 25 yards, or splits in the teens at 10 yards is where whatever mistake you are making is evident. Before you can fix something you have to know it's broken....

Make your hardest shots in training....so anything you do in a match or protecting the food court is nothing you haven't done before.
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 11-04-2015 at 12:47 PM.
    A71593

I agree that it is a grip issue, gripping too hard with the shooting hand results in less control of the trigger finger, and trigger freeze can occur.

I try to be better at gripping more loosely with my shooting hand when shooting at close targets, but it is hard to isolatedly focus on that aspect in a match.
    I shot a match on Tuesday, where I experienced trigger freeze on my last shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQl07L7afmw

I also fumbled a bit on the draw.

Both of these mistakes can also be attributed to the mental aspect as well - I am trying to get out of my turtle mentality, and focusing on speed and efficient movement in both training and smaller matches. I was probably a bit too amped up for this stage, so I lost my focus because I wanted to be super fast. I still won the stage, but I could have shot it .2-.4 secs faster if I had just exerted a bit more control at start and finish.

Trigger freeze comes from tension. The tension comes from trying to go fast. The solution is to relax, which is certainly easier said than done, but that's the answer. The technique of only allowing the trigger far enough forward to reset also aggravates trigger freeze. There's no margin built into the technique, so when tension creeps in and the motion gets short-stroked even a tiny bit...trigger freeze happens.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List