Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trigger freeze when shooting fast?

There is a tendency to tighten your grip, including your trigger finger, when trying to shoot faster. Your trigger finger needs to stay relaxed and under control, not tight. I don't flip and press, but I do make sure to run past the reset point.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    That's what I'm thinking. I have a few more rounds and am going to try more in a little bit. I never really fire 6 rounds fast. im so used to 2 and then on to the next. I wonder if that's why, ole brain telling me I left out two transitions and need to stop now lol
    Are you saying you typically only fire two shots at a time, but this time you decided to fire 6 shots?

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Are you saying you typically only fire two shots at a time, but this time you decided to fire 6 shots?
    Yes.

But not on a bill drill. This is the first time I've ever tried a bill drill. Although self defense is very important, right now my main focus on shooting is gaming. Specifically uspsa. In uspsa all paper is 2 shots to neutralize, so everything I've been doing for a while had been 2 shots then transition.

Ive been thinking about this, and I think I was trying to hard. Some of the other drills I've done I've had no problem maintaining fast splits, prior to the start of this drill I was telling myself to pull the trigger as fast as I could. I think I was just simply wanting it to bad. My conscious mind is a bad shooter with a lot of nerves and issues and my sub conscious mind is the opposite.

Wannabe, is it possible that you may have not let the trigger fully out to the reset point and you may be thinking that it's trigger freeze? I've done that, mostly with Glocks, and it feels an awful lot like trigger freeze. It usually happened between the 3rd and 5th round for me. I think it was something to do with wanting to grip the gun harder with the duration of the recoil of the gun.

Just a thought.

That is very possible too! When I get some more ammo I'm going to shoot some more of these but probably not too many.

I don't think you fully let the trigger out to reset. I've done it before.

Grip tighter with the support hand and relax the primary hand.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    There's a timer involved, there is not relaxing lol I get so tense waiting for the buzzer.
    As counterintuitive as it sounds, the way to get a really fast bill drill time and prevent trigger freeze is to relax. You can't move very fast when you are tense.

ETA: Didn't read the whole thread first, what JodyH said as well.
    Last edited by BCL; 10-31-2015 at 06:30 PM.

So, is this a case where gun gaming has created tangible training scars? Serious question, and I'm certainly not poking at Wannabe, just trying to see if anyone else read all this the way I did. I don't shoot USPSA, so I had no idea that each target requires two hits to neutralize, but if that is so engrained due to the game that anything other than double-tap/controlled pairs throws the shooter into vapor lock, that can't be a good thing.

I'd say no. But what do I know. If this was a bad guy he still would have got shot 5 times in less than a second and the 6th round would have came .60 seconds later lol.

I think what through me into vapor lock was wanting and trying my hardest to pump out 6 rounds and I stopped because I chose to stop out of frustration. I did have trouble sending those rounds but the delay and freeze was not what it makes it out to be. If I shoot 5 rounds at a pace of .15 and then freeze up and the 6th comes out at .60 that's a pretty big difference on a timer and what I would consider an issue.. Real life? I'd think the extra time wouldn't be an issue. I also feel like it would be a natural reaction, subconsciously shooting is always easier for me. Could be totally way off here but I feel like if gaming was engraining bad habits idpa would be worse just for the sole fact that they have Tripple the rules. But that is for another story.

ALSO!!! On Steele that had to fall I routinely shoot way more than two rounds at it so don't worry, I keep things even!

User Tag List