Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Week 136: Sweet Sixteen

I didn't shoot this cold, since there was another drill I wanted to shoot cold instead. #trainingproblems

Using my 9mm STI with some five-year-old 147grn. handloads.

Freestyle - started at 7 yards, third miss at 13 yards.
    SHO - started at 7 yards, third miss at 16 yards.
    WHO - started at 5 yards, out of ammo at 19 yards.

WTF?
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

My guess is.yoi were going too fast. Both hands you knew you got (had? Lol) it, strong hand you slowed a little because single hand, weak hand you put the brakes on and executed the proper fundamentals slowly. At least that's how it worked out for me.

I shot this one last night about half an hour before dark. Pistol was my duty and carry gun, a stock Sig 226. Dawson tritium sights. For those that care, the set I use has a .145 square rear notch and a .125 front. They have a white ring on the front (kinda like a white HD ring) and no outline on the rears.

I oriented the 3 x 5 vertically. I started at the 15 and moved in 5 yard increments. I actually missed twice at the 25 with both misses about an inch left of the card edge. :-/ First shot hit at the 30, second shot hit at the 35 and missed X3 at the 40. All shots were double action.

Incidentally, I went 2/3 at the 40 in SA immediately afterward. For a long time, I actually felt like I shot better long range precision in DA, having a formative wheel gun backround, but that seems perhaps to be changing some. I guess it's not that much of a surprise given almost all my shooting these days is with DA/SA pistols. [shrug]

Good fun.

And great shooting JHC. Especially with a Block. ;-)

t

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Should practice calling my shots doing this drill.
    You should practice calling your shots every single time you pull the trigger, in both live fire and dry.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    You should practice calling your shots every single time you pull the trigger, in both live fire and dry.
    I try though it's easy in dry fire. Sometimes I can do it in live fire other times I struggle mightily. Should have a checklist of stuff I need to focus on and print it out and bring it with me to the range
    Last edited by scw2; 11-09-2015 at 04:05 PM.

Sweet 16 was shot on 11-9-15.
    I liked this little spiced up walk back variation.

Started at 7 yards.
    Missed 2x at 12 yards.
    Ended at 17 yards.

I will try SHO and WHO next range session.

Shot this three times. Shot it from 5-20 yards. Shot it clean with the G19 and my Colt 1911. Last attempt was with my G43. Surprised that I didn't experience a miss until 16 yards and then again at 18. I recently installed a Ghost connector in the G43 and it made all the difference in the world to me in regard to trigger pull. Mine from the factory had to be close to 8 lbs. Now it feels like every other Glock I have ever owned and is much more shootable for me.

Shot this again vertically, starting at 10yd. Missed once at 10yd, then once at 16/17 yd, then failed 3x at 18.

Observations:
    1. work on calling shots
    2. missed fewer shots to get to 18 yds, so improved over last time, and the misses at 18 weren't as bad either
    3. Glad for this drill as I don't normally work at accuracy over longer distances.

Name:  16 walkback.JPG
Views: 122
Size:  64.2 KB

Will maybe try SHO next time

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I haven't live fired in over a month and had two weeks with no access to firearms so no dry fire. I started at 5y and worked my way back.

P226, factory American Eagle 180gr FMJ.

5y-10y:

Then to 15y:

Then finished:

Missed once at the 17y, front sight was high as I broke the trigger.

S&W Model 29-2, 6" barrel. 200gr semi-jacketed bullet over 15.3 grains of Accurate #5. I started at 7 yards:

First cylinder, 7y-12y:

Final result:

One miss at 14y, one at 17y, and final shot at 19y. I milked it a bit and pushed it low/left. The others were just low, and a sight alignment issue. The orange insert takes a little getting used to after spending so long with dot sights.

**Edited to add: All shots in DA with both guns**
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 11-13-2015 at 02:21 PM.

Started at the 3 yard line
    Farthest successful hit 17 yards.

This was a good drill for me this week I have been practicing my "press outs" this week, all shots were taken in D/A during a press out. Missed once at the 16 yard line and 3 putted at 18 yards.

User Tag List