Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Week 136: Sweet Sixteen

Site Supporter
    HK P30 LEM, Trijicon HD/yellow front, and Lawman 115 ammo. Started at 7 and finished at 22 yards.

M&P 9, Speer Lawman 147gr
    Started at 7yd, ended at 19yds.
    One of the biggest and most common mistakes gun owners make is assuming that they are done learning how to shoot.

Beretta 92D Centurion, 124g AE

Started at 7 and ended the drill at 20 yards, I guess I was walking back farther than 1 yard at a time. As distance increased I started to drop shots a little low. Trying to compensate for this, my last shot was high, over the top of the target. Trigger press was the issue, not the sights...
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 11-15-2015 at 08:11 PM.

I did this drill Nov. 4 with a Ruger Blackhawk .357 and a S&W M38 .38 Special.
    Ammo was 158 grain LSWC reloads with Unique and a mix of .38 cases. Card was
    stapled up horizontally. Ten shots of the 16 both times.

I started out with the Blackhawk. It's got a six and a half inch barrel standard Ruger
    wood grips and has been around for a long time.
    I started at five yards and got four in the low center of the 3x5. Then at 10 and 11 yards I put a couple
    high and left from longer yardages. Then started missing high and did so three times. (Still a good group up there.)
    Final distance--12 yards. I'd gone from bright sun into shade by then. I wonder if that had something to do with my misses.

Then tried with the M38 carry gun. It has a very thin front blade which seemed to help for a while. It was easy
    to see against the white 3x5. Started at three yards. Group was about the same place as the Blackhawk.
    Seven hits from three to 12 yards and one high and left. Then, in the shade again, started missing high with the M38 as
    well. One of those hits should probably be discarded. I hit at six yards and fired another hit there by mistake.
    Misses started at 15 yards.

Tried this again today. Ran it horizontally to be the same as the 2 to 3x5 in 5. Started at 7 yards, threw one horribly low at 12 (didn't call my shot unfortunately, something to work on) and made the rest of my shots until my last shot, which was a miss at 21 yards. Barely missed. I think the prior times I had only hit at 17 yards before failing. Eventually maybe Ill be able to shoot at 25 yards, then shoot tighter groups. Pretty cool though!.

Name:  3a sweet 16 vertical.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  41.7 KB

That's great!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Starting distance: 3 yards
    Distance of farthest successful hit: 16 yards

[IMG][/IMG]

Mike

Started at 10 yards, last hit at 19
    Missed 6 shots
    Shot my CZ 75 SP01

What I noticed - my hits were generally in a "group", but some anticipation going on throwing shots low. Need to work that out with just more firing into backstop without aiming and just trying to acclimate my body to the noise and flash.

Also, the anticipation was also driven by the need to 'fire now' as I'd be holding the gun up for a long time, I'd start to get tired, then 'go' when it was aligned. No good. Better to reset, or learn to shoot sooner.

Name:  sweet 16.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  29.5 KB

G43:
    Started at 4yds
    Last hit at 13yds

XDm:
    Started at 5yds
    Last hit at 13yds

I think I got lucky with the G43 at 13 and I fell apart at 14 with the XDm.

Sweet Sixteen
    Starting distance: 3 yards
    Distance of farthest successful hit: 14 yards
    Miss at 9, 12 x 2, 13, and 15

[IMG][/IMG]

Mike

User Tag List