Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 136: Sweet Sixteen

Week 136: Sweet Sixteen

Week 136: Sweet Sixteen

Results may be posted until November 30th, 2015.

Designed by: Todd Louis Green
    Range: varies
    Target: 3x5 card
    Start position: ready; standing unsupported
    Rounds fired: 16

This is a variation of a classic walkback drill.

You get exactly sixteen rounds. You can begin with the target at any distance you choose.

Fire one round at the target. If you hit, add one yard and repeat. If you miss, stay at the same distance and repeat
    Your score is the farthest target that you successfully hit.

If you miss three times at the same distance, the drill ends even if you still have ammunition remaining. E.g., if you miss your first shot at the 7yd line, then miss your second attempt at the 7yd line, and miss your third attempt at the 7yd line the drill is over even if you have only fired three rounds and scored no hits. This prevents someone from beginning at the 50yd line and hoping for one hit out of 16 shots.

If you don't miss, you'll end up 15yd farther than your first shot. E.g., if you start at the 5yd line and get all your hits, your last shot will be at the 20yd line.

For added adventure, you can repeat the drill SHO and WHO.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Starting distance
    Distance of farthest successful hit

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Woke up this morning (afternoon?) and was very pleased to see a new DOTW! I shot this cold, prior to shooting I dry fired at the index card for 3 dry fires lol

Started at 7 yards
    Ended at 21 yards
    Ran out of ammo at 21
    Total of 12 hits on target (I split it into 2 index cards for easier seeing without walking up)
    I have a little trouble measuring 1 yard, I didn't do a final measure until I finished the drill, so during the drill I was moving back like 1.3 yards at a time lol

Last edited by Luke; 10-30-2015 at 12:06 PM.

Decided to give it a try weak hand only. I was very surprised! I think my weak hand only is better than strong hand, which is odd.

Once again I counted (guesstimated) wrong and Ended up farther after a final measure.
    Started at 3 yards, ended at 13, missed all 3 from the 14 yard line

Started at 5 yards, and finished last hit at 17 yards. Missed 2 shots at 13 yards (low) and 1 shot at 17 yards (high). I do not think it was flinching at 13 yards, just poor alignment, but who knows. Will definitely run this one again.

I set up 2 index cards based on Wannabe's comment, which was smart once I was shooting further distances.

I really enjoyed this drill. This surprised me as I've never tried to hit such a small target at such long distances, but I was able to hit the card and never missed horribly on any of my shots. I struggled with my big, wide front sight. I really couldn't see the cards anymore at like around 13-15 yards or so, not exactly sure. Had to extrapolate and 'trust' the shot would hit the target. How do others shoot small targets at long distances when you really can't see the target at all?

Not sure if I'm doing it right, but will try to run this drill again. Also, I thought it was funny that I was trying to hit a target with a pistol at a further distance than someone had their target for rifle.

Name:  4 - index walkback.JPG
Views: 270
Size:  66.2 KB

Started at 5 yards, ended at 18. Forgot my phone so didn't get pictures. As I got farther back my hits got a little high, haven't noticed this before but these are fairly new sights on this G17, Ameriglo I dot pro's.

Gun RTF2 G17, green HD sights, minus connector, and 115 grain Lawman ammo. Thank you GJM for recommending this ammo. Kevin B also who was using it a couple Sats ago to great effect. This would not have gone so well with the Magtech or PPU I've recently shot up from SGammo.com. I'm hooked on the Lawman.

I started at 10 yards and then moved back in 5 yard increments. I made it back to 45 yards. Notice I placed the 3x5 card in the vertical axis. Sue me. https://www.flickr.com/photos/780361...posted-public/

I remembered the GoPro after 45 yard hit and on the way to 50. That's when this picks up. It's long and boring with all the walking back and forth. I missed all three at 50 but then had two rounds left so I went back to 45 yards on tape to get a "cheaters proof" hit recorded. Got the hit on the last 45 yard shot for the 2nd hit from 45.

File was too large for Flickr but it's set to Public on FB if one can get in there. https://www.facebook.com/joe.carlson...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10203807425625203
    Last edited by Tom_Jones; 11-01-2015 at 06:00 PM. Reason: embedded video
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

That is some amazing shooting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Gun RTF2 G17, green HD sights, minus connector, and 115 grain Lawman ammo. Thank you GJM for recommending this ammo. Kevin B also who was using it a couple Sats ago to great effect. This would not have gone so well with the Magtech or PPU I've recently shot up from SGammo.com. I'm hooked on the Lawman.

I started at 10 yards and then moved back in 5 yard increments. I made it back to 45 yards. Notice I placed the 3x5 card in the vertical axis. Sue me. https://www.flickr.com/photos/780361...posted-public/

I remembered the GoPro after 45 yard hit and on the way to 50. That's when this picks up. It's long and boring with all the walking back and forth. I missed all three at 50 but then had two rounds left so I went back to 45 yards on tape to get a "cheaters proof" hit recorded. Got the hit on the last 45 yard shot for the 2nd hit from 45.

File was too large for Flickr but it's set to Public on FB if one can get in there. https://www.facebook.com/joe.carlson...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10203807425625203
    Impressive! I will have to check to be sure, but I don't believe I would be able to see a 3X5 at 50 yards.
    Last edited by Tom_Jones; 11-01-2015 at 06:01 PM. Reason: embedded video

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    [/url]

Wow, great shooting!

Can you see the targets at that range? I'm struggle to even make out the bright green index cards at like 17 yards, let alone 45. I assume some if it may have to do with the width of the front sight, but I imagine there is more going on there besides just that factor. I guess what I'm saying is, how do you approach shooting tiny targets at really long distances where you may no longer be able to see what you're aiming at?
    Last edited by scw2; 10-31-2015 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Wow, great shooting!

Can you see the targets at that range? I'm struggle to even make out the bright green index cards at like 17 yards, let alone 45. I assume some if it may have to do with the width of the front sight, but I imagine there is more going on there besides just that factor. I guess what I'm saying is, how do you approach shooting tiny targets at really long distances where you may no longer be able to see what you're aiming at?
    I can make out the vertical white card, centered on the wider than the card HD front, using 6 o'clock hold. Its fuzzy and all. It's just the press. I was getting real good presses and hearing Hackathorn say to imagine that empty case balanced on the front sight for every shot.

oh . . . and uhmmm . . . bullet proof coffee today. Just sayin
    Last edited by JHC; 10-31-2015 at 01:11 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List