Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experiences with Hogue wooden bantam grips

Experiences with Hogue wooden bantam grips

I'm looking for a little guidance before dropping $130 on a set of grips sight unseen. I have a 3" 65 RB, for which I am struggling to find a set of grips that fit my hand. So far I've tried VZ finger grooves, which are too small width wise. I've also got a set of full size Hogue finger grooves, which work but are huge for a 3" gun. The best fit I've found is rounded magna's with a Tyler 3R. This combo allows me to get all my fingers on the grip, although admittedly just barely.

For purely aesthetic reasons I'd like to find wood (or G10) that fit similarly to the magna/Tyler combo. I like the look of the Hogue wooden bantams, but I've never handled them and the rubber bantams are clearly different sized than the wooden version. For anyone who has handled them, how did they compare to any of the above?

Thanks
    G
    Last edited by DpdG; 10-29-2015 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Spelling

Look at Esmerelda grips as well if you're thinking wood.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Look at Esmerelda grips as well if you're thinking wood.
    She only does J frames.

I really like the rubber hogue batams, but they are sticky. I have always liked hogue grips! but grips are very personal. For a concealment gun, the bantams are a great size in my opinion.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

The bantam rubbers are clearly 3 finger grips, are the wooden ones as well? I would love Spegal extended boots, but the time and money wait.....

If the rubber bantams are different in size from the wood then I can't help. But the rubber bantams work great for me and I have largish hands [I am 6'5"]. There is an extension on the bantams that allows the pinky good purchase. Used enough the bantams loose some of their stickiness to work OK under clothes. Dirt, hand oil, age all lead to less stickiness.

If you haven't already considered them, give Ahrend's a look:

http://www.ahrendsgripsusa.com/retro.htm
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    If you haven't already considered them, give Ahrend's a look:

http://www.ahrendsgripsusa.com/retro.htm
    This. The Ahrends Concealed Carry Boot Grip most closely resembles the RB Magna/Tyler T-Grip combo, IMO. I replaced the latter on all my J frames with the former. I suspect the K frame examples are equally as good.

Hogue offerings have always been quality, but IMO Ahrends has the best going for an affordable, working set of stocks.

I also really like the Ahrends. I also have a set of Eagle Secret Service boot grips that don't fit my hand well if someone wants to work a deal on them. I like them on J frames, but they are just a little off on the AK's.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    This. The Ahrends Concealed Carry Boot Grip most closely resembles the RB Magna/Tyler T-Grip combo, IMO. I replaced the latter on all my J frames with the former. I suspect the K frame examples are equally as good.

Hogue offerings have always been quality, but IMO Ahrends has the best going for an affordable, working set of stocks.

For the Ahrend boots-magna/T comparison, do you recommend finger grooves? From the pictures, it looks like the finger groove versions might preclude the pinky getting a grip, or am I looking at pictures too hard?

Thanks

Maybe the Detective stocks from Herrets?

User Tag List