Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Debate Settled!

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I am now motivated to say "okey-dokey artichokey" at least once today. Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    I heard he was Italian SOF.

*ducks*
    There's a Gucci PC wearing Italian SOF dude somewhere waving his hand in the air, while sipping on an espresso during lunch time cursing at you, softly.

My friends that do full on biomechanical research laugh at "fine versus gross" motorskills. If you only had gross motorskills under stress, no one would ever be able to avoid a car accident. Nor would anyone ever dodge a moving bus or car in the street. Did you ever catch a falling glass or dish? We do know that repetition and stress inoculation work well in terms of allowing organisms to complete more complex tasks in shorter timescales under the same or even increasing pressure of death. But if everyone went full mobility/cognitively retarded at the first sign of stress, no one would get anywhere or do anything.

-Rob

That's pretty funny. I've used the elbow strike, knee strike, and headbutt when talking about the gross motor skills argument in class before (for amusing illustration only.) The knee and elbow work well on a standard mag catch on a handgun. The head butt is good for disengaging the slide stop lever.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    But if everyone went full mobility/cognitively retarded at the first sign of stress, no one would get anywhere or do anything.
    Yea, if it really worked that way, I can't imagine our evolutionary branch would have grown this far.

Although the thought of people behaving like fainting goats is amusing.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

but seriously, this video was a joke right? right!?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    but seriously, this video was a joke right? right!?
    If it was a joke, it was pretty funny. If it wasn't a joke, it's even more hilarious. So either way...does it really matter? Also, I'm totally using "okie dokie artichokey" at least once today. Probably in my worst possible staccato asian accent that I can muster...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    The head butt is good for disengaging the slide stop lever.
    Far be it for me to question your methodologies...but I think you're doing it wrong. This is why 6" revolvers still reign supreme, by the way. Head butt my hunk of steel friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Yea, if it really worked that way, I can't imagine our evolutionary branch would have grown this far.

Although the thought of people behaving like fainting goats is amusing.
    That is hilarious to contemplate. And I agree, evolutionarily we have big ass brains and a lot of cognitive ability. Ever see a toddler do something really dangerous and get themselves out of it, in short order? If that's not an evolved response, I don't know what is.

Anecdotally, I was out hiking with two of my nephews a few weeks ago, along a trail in Dallas. We got briefly separated when the youngest nephew fell into a surprise hole, where a tree had been uprooted, his brother ran to help him and fell into the hole as well. While I back tracked to find them...by the time I got there, the two of them were formulating a strategy to escape. I stood off to the side, quietly and watched as the oldest pushed his brother up, out of the hole. Then the youngest acquired a sturdy branch, sorting through half a dozen before finding one strong enough and then used it to help pull his brother, who is a good 25 pounds heavier, out of the hole. He did it by levering the branch over a rock and using his bodyweight to control it and lift his brother to more solid footing so he could climb out.

___

I had to think about it for a while. The boys are 3 and 5 years of age. The initial moment was one of pure panic for me and them. While I was tearing through the underbrush to figure out where they were. Meanwhile, I get there, only to discover that they have not fallen over like feinting goats and are helpless and dying in the woods. Instead they are merrily extracting themselves for a difficult situation. Is this the same as a shooting encounter? No, not at all. But the point remains, brains not motor skills are the real evolutionary success story in our species.

Focusing on whether or not I can manipulate the cylinder release on my .357 after emptying it, is the wrong side of the equation. I should be focused on whether or not I can adequately recognize when is the right time to use the .357 and work through solutions prior to whipping out my smokewagon and capping someone.

But yea...preacher - choir.

-Rob

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    That's pretty funny. I've used the elbow strike, knee strike, and headbutt when talking about the gross motor skills argument in class before (for amusing illustration only.) The knee and elbow work well on a standard mag catch on a handgun. The head butt is good for disengaging the slide stop lever.
    Video, pls.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Far be it for me to question your methodologies...but I think you're doing it wrong. This is why 6" revolvers still reign supreme, by the way. Head butt my hunk of steel friend!
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Video, pls.
    I never actually follow through with any of it. Hat is in the way, plus if I really did it I might come away with a really really idiotic cut in my forehead. F that. But it is fun to pretend like I'm going to do it and helps get the idea across.
    Last edited by Mr_White; 10-29-2015 at 03:21 PM.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List