Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have experience with steel jackted ammo

Anyone have experience with steel jackted ammo

I see some good bulk deals for 9mm ammo out there but they use steel for the jacket instead of brass. Should I stay away from this stuff or is it good for target shooting?

http://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-9mm-amm...00tulammo-1000

Thanks, Jay

For $10 more you could get lawman, made by Speer, so I would never save $10 to buy steel. Not that there's anything wrong with steel but there is tons of brass ammo for $200/1k

I like the Wolf steel stuff a good bit. When I can get it for 15% or more cheaper than brass, I will go with it. Last time I bought some from SGA fir about $84/500 because they were out of the sweet deal on Blazer.

I wouldn't take it to a class unless you know the gun runs it well, as some are more picky than others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't recall ever having a malfunction with steel cased ammunition but once (HK P2000, failure to eject, IIRC). It does seem on average to be loaded a little lighter than most brass ammo so I wouldn't buy a case unless you've shot it without issue before.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I certainly lack anything approaching a background to say yeah or nay on bimetal bullet jackets. This guy seems pretty science-y, though: https://www.uspsa.org/front-sight-ma...BiMetal-Ammo-8

I shot steel for years in glocks and ar's/scar, never had any issues other than the obvious lacking of accuracy and once in a while itll get stuck in the rifle, thats all.

When I was buying steel the cost difference was more than $50 per thousand. Now the difference is more like $10-$25 which means ill buy more brass.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I buy and shoot lts of steel cased stuff. I really like the brown bear 9mm. Everything eats it and accurate compared to some cheap brass like WWB. I uselly buy 500 rounds of wolf or bear 9mm and 500 rounds of .223 a month. I trust wolf and brown bear ammo over many reloaded ammo brands.

I think brown bear and wold military classic are loaded to CIP spec since it gives me better accuraccy than WWB and Wolf black box.

Steel cased ammo with bimetal bullets will wear out your rifle or pistol about twice as fast as brass cased ammo:
    http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bras...el-cased-ammo/

I've shot a lot (as in 20k+) of RWS brass case, bi-metal bullet 9mm through my H&K's with no noticeable barrel wear. In rifles the extra velocity might be an issue.
    Last edited by JodyH; 10-30-2015 at 06:59 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I'm fine with steel cased ammo and bimetal bullets but the Speer for $10 more is a no brainer.
    #RESIST

User Tag List