Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First 1911

First 1911

I'll preface all of this, I'm a shooter and not a collector. I've been a gun guy all my life, and if I had millions of dollars I'd have a collection that rivaled Reed Knight's... But I don't. I do however, like nice, functional things.

I currently own only two handguns, an Italian 92FS and a Gen 4 G19. The 92 was the first gun I ever bought so I've decided to keep it for feel good reasons, however, the only gun I ever shoot/carry is my G19 and it is shot often and carried daily.

I've always wanted a 1911. I shoot them well, and with as childish as it is, it has that nostalgic draw to it. To me it represents a largely bygone era from long before my time when men didn't wear skinny jeans, we broke the sound barrier; killed commies, went to the moon, and built things with an attention to detail.

With all of this being said... How dirty is it that I want a full size aluminum frame 9mm 1911 for a daily carry gun? I've long thought about treating my self to a Wilson, and unlike some, if I'm dropping 3 large on a pistol and waiting a year, I'm going to carry that thing every day.

Why a 9mm and not a .45? Well the practical side of me is saying it's the way to go. I own two 9mm's as it is, I would think the aluminum frame would be more appropriate for a carry gun and hold up fine when chambered in 9mm, the added capacity and the lack of recoil. I was largely inspired by the TLG SACS gun.

My big question is...

Does Wilson make a full size 9mm that runs well enough for an EDC? Is the aluminum frame ok in a 9mm or would you still go steel frame?

I understand the intricacies of a 1911, I realize it's not a G19, it may only feed one type of duty ammo etc... Those are things I'm fine with. I'm fine with investing in specialized tools and becoming my own armorer etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I'd go with a Warren 9mm 1911.

It's a SACS gun, proven, reliable, half the price of a Wilson @ $1999. Lifetime warranty out of a shop with Legendary Service and spec'ed out by Scott Warren (former FBI HRT).

http://www.warrentactical.com/products.htm

That's exactly what I'd do.

God Bless,

Brandon

ETA: Warren also specified the design for the HRT's 1911 back when that decision was made. I don't want to misattribute his roles while their but I think he headed or was very involved in the pistol procurement project.

He did an interview on Ballistic Radio some time ago and gets into the discussion during it.
    Last edited by BWT; 10-29-2015 at 12:09 AM.

Site Supporter
    My 1911 experiences come from three brands: Kimber (My blood pressure just spiked mentioning this), Springfield, and Wilson Combat.

The Springfield Loaded that I previously owned was fantastic! Aside from some sharp edges, the gun had a good trigger, and it was reliable. At the Shot Show several years ago, I was able to check out some SACS Guns at their booth, and I was impressed. I would buy one in a heart beat.

Last summer, I received my Wilson CQB from MI Gunslingers after a rough 3 month wait! It has been worth every penny!

If you venture over to 1911forum.com you will see several different vendors that can help you order a Wilson. They offer generous layaway plans which can help one squirrel away the cash for an expensive 1911. I used MIGunlingers.com. Check out their site or call them. Call these dealers and they can help you:

www.migunslingers.com
    www.hammondgunandtackle.com
    www.tractusarms.com
    www.illinoisgunshop.com

Good luck in your search!

If you're positive that you want an ALLOY framed 9mm, your options are going to be a little limited. Colt recently announced they're producing lightweight Commander models in 9mm again, but haven't seen/heard anything about whether they're actually available, and/or worth spending money on. Springfield makes their "Range Officer Champion" in 9mm - but that's a 4" barrel. Wilson has several lightweight and "ultralight" models in 9mm, but, jiminy crickets, I've bought cars that were less expensive...

Good luck either way, and let us know what shakes out!

I just recently clawed my way back out of the 1911 rabbit hole (again) only to fall down the Beretta equivalent. But, I can say without a shadow of a doubt, if you're looking for a 1911 and have the budget to purchase a Wilson, even a base CQB, you will not be disappointed. Between the quality of the gun and the outstanding CS/warranty provided by WC, it's a no-brainer if it's on the list of choices.

Of course, there's the option of buying a base gun and sending them off for custom work, but the wait times of anyone I'd consider are extremely long right now, so I'd say Wilson.

Atlas can probably make you a alloy 9mm one. http://atlasgunworks.com/

As has already been said if Wilson is in your budget you can't go wrong! It will be everything you could possibly want and more I love mine.
    Rick
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

First 1911

Thanks for all the great insight!

I'm definitely set on Wilson, I've wanted a Wilson for quite some time and I'm pretty set on that, not just for the quality but the ability for me to get it exactly how I want it.

The pistol will be a base CQB Lightrail Lightweight (full size) that I will spec as follows:

-9mm
    -Black Armor tuff (everything)
    -No front cocking serrations
    -ball end mill cuts
    -round butt
    -No mag well
    -Tactical Cone Barrel
    -fluted barrel
    -fluted chamber
    -ambi safety
    -Ryan Wilson High Grip mod
    -Sterile Slide
    -10-8 Sights (.156 rear, .125 tritium front)
    -Solid Medium Trigger
    -VZ 320 carbon fiber orange

A thorough range report will ensue when the gun is received. I'm debating on the tactical cone barrel and a traditional barrel/bushing/gi plunger. My goal here is to construct what would be considered a purpose built full size 1911 carry/home defense/competition pistol for the 21st century.

Last edited by Mr. Goodtimes; 10-29-2015 at 07:00 PM.

I know nothing about 1911's really but you say you wanted this to double duty as a comp gun? If your serious about gaming I know there are some rules (in some games) about bushings and stuff used in a 1911, and that a magwell would be something handy. Just my .34 cents, worth what you paid for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    I know nothing about 1911's really but you say you wanted this to double duty as a comp gun? If your serious about gaming I know there are some rules (in some games) about bushings and stuff used in a 1911, and that a magwell would be something handy. Just my .34 cents, worth what you paid for it!
    Thanks man. I'm not a serious gamer though. I shoot two gun as a way to practice. The gun is a purpose built tool for for carry/defense first, anything else is a plus.

User Tag List