Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firearm Insurance against theft, burglary, etc.

Firearm Insurance against theft, burglary, etc.

I have been shopping for insurance to protect my firearms from theft, while travelling, etc.
    I have found the following:

Collectibles Insurance Services: $138 annually for $20,000 coverage, $50 deductible. Requires pictures but not serial numbers unless it's over $5000. Covers me from theft, burglary, while travelling, etc. Only thing is it won't cover me if I leave my gun(s) unattended on a regular basis for an extended period of time. For instance, if I went to work and parked on the street and kept my gun locked up in the vehicle every business day, then it is not covered. But, if I travel to a match and leave guns in the vehicle overnight it is covered.

NRA Lockton Affinity Group: $234 annually for $20,000 coverage, $100 deductible. Covers any loss as long as my vehicle was locked regardless how often and where it was parked. Youtube video claims this is useless insurance.

SIAI: $250 annually for $20,000 coverage, plus $30/yr NSCA membership, no deductible. Covers any loss except from an unlocked vehicle, and normal exceptions.

Allstate Homeowners (In addition to my homeowners premium): $600 annually for $20,000 and I must submit an appraisal and serial numbers for every firearm.

Eastern Insurance: $130 for $40,000 coverage, $100 deductible. No requirement to send appraisals or serial numbers, but they expect pictures and serial numbers in case of a loss. I talked to the guy who wrote the insurance program for firearms. He is a NRA member and firearms owner and long range rifle shooter. This is clearly the best deal....recommended. https://www.easterninsurance.com/ins...arms-insurance

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Site Supporter
    Thanks for doing our homework for us.
    Good info.

My stuff is currently covered under homeowners policy... I'll be double checking my premium today.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

^Seconded.

Thanks for the tip, Cody!

Site Supporter
    NRA memberships include $2,500 of coverage, but it must be activated here: http://www.locktonaffinity.com/nrain...ation+Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    With USAA, additional firearms coverage is $1.30 per month per $1,000 of coverage.
    Excellente. Will be giving them a call tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    With USAA, additional firearms coverage is $1.30 per month per $1,000 of coverage.
    My only beef with USAA is they want a serial number for everything. Call me paranoid but handing a list to my insurance company of everything I own doesn't sit well with me. That info should not have to be provided unless a claim is put in. They are reasonable though.

USAA for me. It's just so convenient. I usually x out the last few digits of the serial number. Never been a problem from them.
    Last edited by MEH; 10-29-2015 at 03:49 PM.
    "Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by MEH View Post
    USAA for me. It's just so convenient. I usually x out the last few digits of the serial number. Never been a problem from them.
    Wonder why I got a bunch of crap. Must have just been the rep. Did you do it online, or by phone? Not to derail. TIA, MEH.

Site Supporter
    Does anyone have any additional gun insurance experience to report since this thread was started? I have $5,000 worth of coverage through my homeowner's policy, but that is not enough coverage for me. I spoke with my State Farm insurance agent today and simply listing guns on my personal articles policy (wife's engagement ring) seems like the easiest thing to do, though it would require submitting a list of guns and serial numbers to my insurance company.

The NRA's current offering looks pretty easy too (LINK).

I, too, went with Eastern Insurance, with Jack Richardson. 34k USD of coverage for 150 USD a year, and I believe it covers damages, too.

User Tag List