Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do I want a 357SIG P229 so bad?

Might consider a SIGpro for its lower cost of entry. IIRC, that combination was Bruce Gray's carry/duty choice for many years. May still be.

If you already have a P229, the buy a conversion barrel or caliber exchange kit.
    Last edited by David S.; 10-28-2015 at 07:15 PM.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I'm sure the Sigs are the HEAT in this caliber, if not just for squeezing every bit of accuracy. But as I'm heavily invested in this size Glock gear . . .

When Glock delivers my GSSF award gun, a Gen 4 G35, I'm ordering a KKM .357 barrel for it. Maybe a comp version.
    My off duty gun, Glock 33, held up very well with 357 Sig. I put a ton of rounds through that gun and did not detect any appreciable wear and tear on it.

Been traveling and have not read the whole thread, but I have been thinking about one, too. Have this and a .357 barrel ready to go.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I've always been intrigued by the caliber too, probably for the same reasons as most. Part of me has always kind of wanted a 226 in .357 sig... Just because.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Been traveling and have not read the whole thread, but I have been thinking about one, too. Have this and a .357 barrel ready to go.

Beautiful, same gun I carried on duty no rail and flat head grip screws. Very nice.

If you wanted to scratch that itch real cheap, CDNN has some used one's for $399.

Link
    Last edited by Father of 3; 10-28-2015 at 09:11 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    yes, mostly wantism. I carry and train extensively with my P239 9mm, so it's nice to have a similar platform. I also like how the P229 can be both 40 and 357 with the same mags. I never had too much problem finding 40 and 357 ammo during the panic, but never had any guns for it. A more esoteric thought was to use the P229 as a hiking/camping gun. But, I live in the northeast, so there are not too many large dangerous animals. Are there acceptable 40 and 357 loads for the incredibly rare off chance of defending against an aggressive black bear?
    I agree with JHC - for black bear in the Northeast, any good bonded LE load in 9/40/357. Since you carry a P-239 9mm you should consider a 40 to 9mm conversion barrel for the P-229 as well. I have the Barsto conversion barrel from top gun supply. It runs just fine with the 40 recoil spring and 40/357 magazines.

I absolutely love my 229 in 357sig. I originally got it in 9m. But bought the 357 exhange kit for it and glad I did. I highly recommend it, worse case is you can always add the 9mm barrel and spring if you don't like it. It's a nice option to have. It's not just fun to shoot but I seem to be to be a little more accurate with it. Pretty accurate with the 9 but I don't seem to get that occasional flyer, my groups seem better. Like it so much that I recently bought the sig 239 in 357 sig. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

With the exception of a short trigger, that's exactly the configuration I would want.

I had forgotten about those factory re-furbs; from what I've heard, they're a pretty good deal. I'd be interested in hearing how that puppy works out for you, what you feed it, etc.

Both of my P229R's were originally configured as .357 SIG with the DAK trigger. Both of these were my agency issued firearms that I bought back when we switched to 9mm. Although I loved the .357 SIG round, the only shop local to me that stocks .357 SIG ammo has Speer Lawman 125gr priced at $47.00 per box of 50. So, long story short, these two P229R pistols have .40 S&W barrels in them and haven't seen .357 SIG shot through them since the agency fit the bill for the ammo.

User Tag List