Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do I want a 357SIG P229 so bad?

What doeas the .357 Sig do that a 9mm +P doesn't? Genuine question, as I have never explored the round. Just 'cus is perfectly acceptable.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    What doeas the .357 Sig do that a 9mm +P doesn't? Genuine question, as I have never explored the round. Just 'cus is perfectly acceptable.
    Best way to answer that question is look at bullet testing in gel and compare the calibers expansion and penetration. Not withstanding stretch cavity or shock effect there isn't any big difference between 9mm and 357 sig. Given the muzzle report and price of ammo then the choice of which one gets easier. The 40 S&W has better expansion and similar penetration to both calibers and is still cheaper than the 357 Sig. Nothing wrong with getting a 357 Sig, if you want it go get one, you can always get a 40 cal barrel and have two guns. One thing I did notice when putting down deer hit by motor vehicles the 357 sig and 9mm always seemed to require more than one round whereas the 40 S&W never required more than one round.

As others have pointed out, the .357sig is an expensive hobby. The bottle necked brass adds additional cost to the cartridge, and the short case mouth makes reloading difficult with a weak bullet crimp(more prone to catastraphic setbacks). Heavier bullets than 125gr are even more problematic as the increased bullet weight causes more bullet drift in the case(thus, more chance of catastrophic setbacks). Most manufacturers actually have to glue their .357 bullets into the casing to make them safe for use.

The best .357magnum auto alternative I have encountered is the 9x23mm Winchester. It uses the longer .45/10mm action, so recoil feels like a hot 9mm. The straight walled case is much easier to reload(even with heavy bullets), and it has similar case capacity to the .357sig(thus, similar velocities). It is essentially a longer 9mm, and retains all the penefits of the 9mm........tapered case, bullet variety, case durability, mag capacity, and mild recoil.

I have a .357 SIG conversion barrel for my Glock 23, and it does shoot flat. That being said, it really is a PITA to load with the neck dimensions, and I already load for 9x23 Winchester. As such, I load for a round that does everything .357 SIG does with less fuss, less muss, and less cost. It is capable of driving a 147-grain bullet at 1400 fps, something beyond the .357 SIG. The only issue with 9x23 is that the magazine has to be long enough to hold the round, and that eliminates the SIG P229 and Glock 17/19.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Based on discussions in this other caliber thread that we have going and what DocGKR said, the ballistic gel testing thing, velocities and drop thereof, my guess is that it likely penetrates appropriate length and expands reliably from here to 75 yards away from here, flying as straight a line that a pistol bullet can fly.

I picked up a .357 P2000 LEM a couple of month ago and I've been shooting it and even carrying it. I simply wanted something on my belt that's farther reaching and more barrier indifferent than 9, in case I went to visit George in Alaskan bear country. It is noticeable more kicking and a lot more expensive to feed. Shooting steel at 100 is a blast, literally too. Not sure what I am going to do with it long term, but so far we're having fun.
    Last edited by YVK; 10-28-2015 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    From reading the OP, it doesn't sound like your desire for 357 sig. is based on anything practical. It's just a case of the "wantsies".

From a practical standpoint and, yes +P +9 mm Will do 90 to 95% of what 357 sig. will do even at longer-ranges. That said, for some reason I still like it. .357 SIG is the guilty pleasure.

The Sigg P226 and P229 are definitely the best, most solid, and reliable platforms in this caliber. The 226&229 mags will run both 40 and .357. The 239 requires dedicated mags.
    yes, mostly wantism. I carry and train extensively with my P239 9mm, so it's nice to have a similar platform. I also like how the P229 can be both 40 and 357 with the same mags. I never had too much problem finding 40 and 357 ammo during the panic, but never had any guns for it. A more esoteric thought was to use the P229 as a hiking/camping gun. But, I live in the northeast, so there are not too many large dangerous animals. Are there acceptable 40 and 357 loads for the incredibly rare off chance of defending against an aggressive black bear?

Against a blackie probably any good bonded LE load.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Based on discussions in this other caliber thread that we have going and what DocGKR said, the ballistic gel testing thing, velocities and drop thereof, my guess is that it likely penetrates appropriate length and expands reliably from here to 75 yards away from here, flying as straight a line that a pistol bullet can fly.

I picked up a .357 P2000 LEM a couple of month ago and I've been shooting it and even carrying it. I simply wanted something on my belt that's farther reaching and more barrier indifferent than 9, in case I went to visit George in Alaskan bear country. It is noticeable more kicking and a lot more expensive to feed. Shooting steel at 100 is a blast, literally too. Not sure what I am going to do with it long term, but so far we're having fun.
    Had I packed it along I'd have loaded this Critical Duty load or S&B 140 gr FMJ flat point. But I stayed on post and a gun was a no go.
    http://m.hornady.com/store/Critical-Duty
    Last edited by JHC; 10-28-2015 at 06:59 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Not much to say here but two things.

1. .357 Sig has a great record in real shootings, almost always 125 Gold Dot.
    2. If you want a handgun in that caliber, the 229 is really the only way to go. Mine has held up well over the years for classes with the agencies that carry them.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

I'm sure the Sigs are the HEAT in this caliber, if not just for squeezing every bit of accuracy. But as I'm heavily invested in this size Glock gear . . .

When Glock delivers my GSSF award gun, a Gen 4 G35, I'm ordering a KKM .357 barrel for it. Maybe a comp version.

User Tag List