Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Why do I want a 357SIG P229 so bad?

Kind of glad I never ended up getting it. The itch went away a while ago. Always best to stick with readily available ammo. Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

During the 2020 craziness I was able to maintain my level of shooting without ridiculous expense or resorting to dodgy ammo, despite not having the stockpile I would have wanted, because I had 9, 40, and 357 pistols. While I much prefer 9, that experience alone would justify keeping at least one gun in the other calibers. For .357 SIG it is going to be just one gun: an all-stainless early 2000s P226. While I like my remaining P229 in .357, I've got other projects to fund and don't see it going to the top of the list for guns I want to shoot on any given day, so can't really justify not putting it up for sale. On the other hand, if I had to take it to a gunfight tomorrow, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    9mm slides (specifically 229-1) will fit just fine on the frame as well...
    Yup. I used a P228 slide when some department trade-in P228 parts kits were on a fire-sale. Using the P228 slide on a 357/40 frame just required changing the locking block, also included in the parts kit.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    The 229-1 slides fit right on, no need to change the locking block. The mags are also slightly bigger. I recently purchased one fo the p229-1 slides with the romeo red dot and slapped it on top of my .357 sig frame.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Yup. I used a P228 slide when some department trade-in P228 parts kits were on a fire-sale. Using the P228 slide on a 357/40 frame just required changing the locking block, also included in the parts kit.

Hard to believe it's been seven years since I carried 357 Sig in a woods gun role. Still have that P2000, half a steel box of range ammo, and a few hundred rounds of SD ammo... but haven't had it out of the safe in quite a while. My woods guns these days, and for quite a while now, are either a USP 45 or a magnum revolver.

Reasons: With a 357 or big bore magnum revolver, I have multiple non-lead options and that's a thing for woods carry here these past few years. Barnes Vor-TX HP, a couple varieties of solids that I can easily handload. It's not quite as extensive in 45 ACP, the same solid handload options are there but available HPs are more two-legged self-defense oriented; but there's enough to work with to cover a variety of backcountry situations.

With 357 Sig, it's basically the same relatively light .355 bullets as for 9mm, just moving a little faster. I still like 357 Sig well enough, it's just that I've got other options which are less expensive for practice ammo and easier to load.

On that last point, I've heard conflicting information on reloading 357 Sig. Some seem to have a system down, some say it's finicky, some say the short neck is an issue. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I have a bunch of brass.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    If you guys have ever seen what the light Underwood Xtreme Defender can do out of 10” and 16” 357 Sig barrels….

It’s basically ballistically like SBR 223 without the blastiness.
    Some guy Chonod it awhile back and indeed, it was basically identical to 64gr .223 Gold Dot in terms of velocity from a 16"

.357 SIG's an incredible cartridge, especially out of 5"+ barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Squib308 View Post
    I load 357 Sig. It is a great cartridge to load as factory Glock barrels in 357 Sig have excellent case head support. This cannot be said for 40 or 10mm. The bullet setback issue is real but mostly overblown. The key is to get neck tension correct and not fully rely on crimp. Avoidance of powders that are sensitive to case volume. I’ve had incredible results with hodgdon longshot. If one is really worried about setback then can use accurate #9 which fills the whole case and will compress.

357 brass is dirt cheap as nobody wants it. Bullets are .355 or .356. Small pistol primers. Basically it’s cheap to load!

From a Glock 35 length barrel, the 357 Sig is absolutely incredible. Shorter barrels really don’t do the cartridge justice. For pistol reloaders I believe 357 Sig is really a gem.
    My buddy handloads for the .357 SIG, and his experience mirrors yours. He has a G35.7 with a KKM barrel, and is driving 125's @ 1600fps from his. His G33 - he calls it the 'noisy cricket' for its insane blast - does over 1350fps+ from the same loads.

When you factor in a G35 is the same length / a bit shorter then a 4" .357 mag revolver, and a G33 is J frame length, it's equal or faster then a .357 mag from the same sized gun for 125gr.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    some say it's finicky, some say the short neck is an issue. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
    I would be in that group of "some", I never figured it out and probably scrapped 1/3 of the rounds I reloaded because I could never get the neck tension just right. I have spoken to people who seemed to have it figured out. I will claim it is much harder to get set up and running than other cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    On that last point, I've heard conflicting information on reloading 357 Sig. Some seem to have a system down, some say it's finicky, some say the short neck is an issue. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I have a bunch of brass.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I would be in that group of "some", I never figured it out and probably scrapped 1/3 of the rounds I reloaded because I could never get the neck tension just right. I have spoken to people who seemed to have it figured out. I will claim it is much harder to get set up and running than other cartridges.

I had read all the stories as well. Folks have different experiences, and those are relayed and taken in through different lenses of understanding.

I first loaded .357 Sig about a year ago. I recall crushing about six cases before getting the right balance. That involved proper sizing, belling, die height, etc. I can see how it's not worth the trouble, and no criticism given. It's really a mini rifle cartridge.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    IMHO, what little you might gain with the .357 Sig in stopping power over the best 9mm loads currently available are, more recoil, lower mag capacity, more wear on the pistol and harder to find higher cost ammo. It is still just a 9mm bullet and bullet placement is still more important than extra velocity. The FBI, DEA , militaries around the world, our military special ops, etc. use the 9mm. With today’s bullet making technology the 9mm is probably the best ** overall **self defense pistol caliber cartridge compromise available today. As for the Sig P229, it’s a decent pistol, but it was just a little to chunky and porky in *my* hands, so I sold mine along with it’s .357 Sig Barsto barrel.
    I have no personal experience with 357 Sig. I know that some LE agencies used them including some state patrol. I had a P-229 and sold it for the reasons you mentioned. Just too chunky for my hand. I much prefer the single stack P-239. I have several.

There were many P-229's and 239's on the surplus market 6-7 years ago. I'd say if they were $325 like they used to be it might be a good purchase, but I don't see those anymore.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-09-2022 at 12:35 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List